Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

175 PERMANENT RESIDENCY VISA CLAIMING SUPERANNUATION

175 PERMANENT RESIDENCY VISA CLAIMING SUPERANNUATION

Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:11 am
Just Joined

RW11 has a brilliant futureRW11 has a brilliant futureRW11 has a brilliant futureRW11 has a brilliant futureRW11 has a brilliant futureRW11 has a brilliant future
Default 175 PERMANENT RESIDENCY VISA CLAIMING SUPERANNUATION

Hey. My husband and I came out to Australia last year and plan to return to UK at end of this year permanently. We came on a 175 permanent residency visa. Am i correct in thinking that because we are classed as permanent residents and not temporary residents that my husband will not be able to claim his superannuation back even if we return to the UK permanently and cancel our visa's? I seem to have had mixed replies from people i know, a friend even said her husband (australian born) was able to claim his superannuation when he moved to the UK? Any information would be much appreciated because it will be a real let down if all the money that has gone into my husbands superannuation will have to stay there until pension age when it could be used for our return to the UK instead.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175 PERMANENT RESIDENCY VISA CLAIMING SUPERANNUATION

I am not aware of any legal way to reclaim superannuation earned while you were a permanent resident in Australia.

There are those out there who claim it has been done but there is never any reference. One has to suspect they were given their superannuation by mistake.