Reload this Page >

Move to US from UK and searching for work

Move to US from UK and searching for work

Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Vento is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Move to US from UK and searching for work

Hi everyone I am new to this forum.

I am 25, male and from the UK (I am british)

I have a BSc degree in Mechanical/Automotive Engineering with a grade of 2.1 with honours. Im not sure what this is equal to in the USA.

I have experience of working for a couple of years now as a Project Engineer, Design Engineer and Research and Development Engineer.

What is the best way to search for work and what are my chances of getting work?

Kind regards,

Harry

Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to US from UK and searching for work

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi AmerLisa,

Thanks for the link. I was reading about that earlier and will be looking into the Exchange Visitors sector more as it sounds interesting.

Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

What is the best way to search for work in USA?

I am quite interested to move to California, New York, Michigan or Florida.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vento
What is the best way to search for work in USA?

I am quite interested to move to California, New York, Michigan or Florida.
Same way you would look for any job, job websites, company websites, etc. LinkedIn is probably one of your better options in terms of networking and trying to leverage connections. Keep in mind that because you need sponsorship, unless you have some special skill set the chances of you actually getting an interview is remote. Probably your best option is get in with one of the big car manufacturers in the UK and see if you could eventually get transferred to one of their US base of operations at some point in the future. Whatever you do, moving to the US will not be an easy task and has a very high chance of never happening.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Same way you would look for any job, job websites, company websites, etc. LinkedIn is probably one of your better options in terms of networking and trying to leverage connections. Keep in mind that because you need sponsorship, unless you have some special skill set the chances of you actually getting an interview is remote. Probably your best option is get in with one of the big car manufacturers in the UK and see if you could eventually get transferred to one of their US base of operations at some point in the future. Whatever you do, moving to the US will not be an easy task and has a very high chance of never happening.
Hi,

I know my chances are low but its worth ago at least even if I never move to the US ever. I had moved back to the UK in September 2010 after living out in Germany for awhile and want a chance again from the UK.

At the moment I do not plan my move to be permanent. Its more to experience life in the US. I would like to start my masters degree in september 2011 if I get a chance in the UK or somewhere within the EU hence not wanting a permanent move.

What would my chances be just getting any kind of work that is not engineering related, say for example working in a Mall or warehouse work?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What would my chances be just getting any kind of work that is not engineering related, say for example working in a Mall or warehouse work?
Zero.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to start my masters degree in september 2011 if I get a chance in the UK or somewhere within the EU hence not wanting a permanent move.
Perhaps you should consider a US Masters degree. It'll be expensive, but it'll get you to the US for at least 2 years. Research F-1 visa.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Move to US from UK and searching for work

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Zero.

Rene
Well said and to the point, it made me smile.......

Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said and to the point, it made me smile.......

Seriously, though, read through the link in Post #2 here. Those are all the ways into the USA. If you don't see a way listed there, it means it doesn't exist.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

nigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to allnigel_horne is a name known to all

Stick at it. It's very hard to get a job offer in the US without already having a work permit or being a citizen, but not impossible. It took me 3 years of applications being ignored, but finally I got a company to take me on and sponsor me for a visa. I've not looked back since.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Perhaps you should consider a US Masters degree. It'll be expensive, but it'll get you to the US for at least 2 years. Research F-1 visa.

Ian
I have thought about doing a masters in the US but the cost is alot like you say. Whats the cost on average to do masters in the US.

Would you know when applications dates start?

I have got on to a master in the UK in London into a really good University here. I have worked out the cost to study in London to about £15,000 (including: Course fees, Rent, Food, general cost) But in the UK it only take 1 year to complete the masters degree.

How long would it take in the US?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Seriously, though, read through the link in Post #2 here. Those are all the ways into the USA. If you don't see a way listed there, it means it doesn't exist.

Rene

I have read thought that and I think the only way would be as a 'Student' or 'Exchange Visitors'

From reading the page I cant use the 'Family' way, as they are only my great uncle and auntie from my mums side.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Move to US from UK and searching for work

Originally Posted by nigel_horne
Stick at it. It's very hard to get a job offer in the US without already having a work permit or being a citizen, but not impossible. It took me 3 years of applications being ignored, but finally I got a company to take me on and sponsor me for a visa. I've not looked back since.

Good luck.
Thanks Nigal, I will keep trying one way or another
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I had a mate working for Bentley for a while and he had no luck looking for work here and another mate working for Audi and BMW working on interiors to the concept stuff and get no luck with transfers or a company transfer, weren't niche enough and having 5 years experience wasn't enough for Audi or BMW to entertain the idea.

Might have more luck if you were in the research side of things such as renewable power.

Masters in the US take 2 years if doing it full time. I don't know how much most charge, but the masters my wife did through Kings College London was £3.5K a year part time over 3 years, the same at North Eastern in Boston would have been $20K a year for tuition alone and another place in PA was $35K a year but that place was private with a scholarship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.