Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

10 day trip back worth it? Any experiences?

10 day trip back worth it? Any experiences?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default 10 day trip back worth it? Any experiences?

Hi all,

We need to decided in the next 2 weeks if we are going to move back to UK from Western Australia.

Is a flying visit worth it? Im concerned we will have one emotional roller-coaster week and be no further on just $10k in the red!

I've heard a few people go back and within a month return.

My head is spinning. Any experiences appreciated.

Poppet
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:17 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 day trip back worth it? Any experiences?

All of the advice that I have heard is that it is worth coming back for a visit before jumping ship. But that in itself may not lead you to make the right decision as it is entirely subjective. I do thinkthat it is not to do with the cost of the trip though - it is the purpose of the trip which is to confirm your instinct.

During the trip you could:

check the job mkt
check the housing mkt
availability of schools
prices of goods
availability of support from friends and family

..and do some tourism.

But you should accept that you may still make the wrong decision in returning (or not returning) unless you really understand why you wish to take the action.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:46 pm
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

We need to decided in the next 2 weeks if we are going to move back to UK from Western Australia.

Is a flying visit worth it? Im concerned we will have one emotional roller-coaster week and be no further on just $10k in the red!

Poppet
The trouble is that a visit isn't the same as living somewhere. The closest a visit can get to living somewhere is if you go for about 6-8 weeks MINIMUM. A flying visit of under a fortnight won't tell you much about whether you want to live in the UK again.

You'll really just have to go by whether or not you are happy in WA and whether or not you feel things are going well for you there or not. If you've not really settled there and you still miss the UK it's probably worth going back in order to feel at home again. If you are just going through a patch of missing the UK then that's a little different.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Poppet,why do you need to decide so quickly?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Poppet.
We returned to UK from Perth for a 3 week break, but the problem with that is that you live it as a holiday.
Yes it costs a damn lot of money flying backwards and forwards, but we wanted to come back to UK for good anyway, so here we are (6 flights later).
Only you can decide, no-one on here can do it for you.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

Poppet
As Nu Shooz said "only you can decide" would'nt it be great if you just woke up and was told the decision was made...the world would be an easier place to live...lol...we went back twice our first time after 7 years in Aus (a friend once said..."stay in Aus as long as you can before you go for your first visit because 9 times out of 10 if you don't you'll want to go back...guess what after 15 years here she went back on holiday ....her first in all that time and did not come back OH had to come back and sort everything out...6 years later they are still VERY happing living in Lincolnshire...lol) anyway we stayed for nearly 5 weeks and we just loved,loved being back it was like we had never been away...came back to Aus and our friends here said they had felt like that and it would pass...so we just got on with things but felt very unsettled...we then went back nearly 2 years later for just over 9 weeks and this time we paid for all our things, household bills, food, my Oh even helped at his Dad's company to see what early morning starts and work was like...you kind of forget those kind of things...anyway after a fab time we knew we wanted to return home to live...and it has taken another 2 years for the plan to set in motion...now if we had our time again and don't forget this is us..we would of just gone home years ago...saved the money and just gone...as it does get a bit harder to leave for various reasons....we Knew years before our first trip that something just was not clicking for us here in Aus...so we should of saved our money and a lot of stress and just gone...whats the worse that could of happend...we might of hated it but then we could work out the next plan but Aus would not of been for us as it would of been just an easy way out for us....these are not your circumstances though and it is not easy...you'll gets lots of advice as you have asked but really it is down to you...hard....but thats life sometimes...my FIL said years ago you keep ummiinnngg and arriinnngg about Aus either come home or shut up and put up....lol....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by brits1
As Nu Shooz said "only you can decide" would'nt it be great if you just woke up and was told the decision was made...the world would be an easier place to live...lol...we went back twice our first time after 7 years in Aus (a friend once said..."stay in Aus as long as you can before you go for your first visit because 9 times out of 10 if you don't you'll want to go back...guess what after 15 years here she went back on holiday ....her first in all that time and did not come back OH had to come back and sort everything out...6 years later they are still VERY happing living in Lincolnshire...lol) anyway we stayed for nearly 5 weeks and we just loved,loved being back it was like we had never been away...came back to Aus and our friends here said they had felt like that and it would pass...so we just got on with things but felt very unsettled...we then went back nearly 2 years later for just over 9 weeks and this time we paid for all our things, household bills, food, my Oh even helped at his Dad's company to see what early morning starts and work was like...you kind of forget those kind of things...anyway after a fab time we knew we wanted to return home to live...and it has taken another 2 years for the plan to set in motion...now if we had our time again and don't forget this is us..we would of just gone home years ago...saved the money and just gone...as it does get a bit harder to leave for various reasons....we Knew years before our first trip that something just was not clicking for us here in Aus...so we should of saved our money and a lot of stress and just gone...whats the worse that could of happend...we might of hated it but then we could work out the next plan but Aus would not of been for us as it would of been just an easy way out for us....these are not your circumstances though and it is not easy...you'll gets lots of advice as you have asked but really it is down to you...hard....but thats life sometimes...my FIL said years ago you keep ummiinnngg and arriinnngg about Aus either come home or shut up and put up....lol....
He's right though Jackie. I often feel like saying to people STFU and get on with it

In a nice way of course
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:04 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
He's right though Jackie. I often feel like saying to people STFU and get on with it

In a nice way of course
Well FU then.....

Got some news for you. Look at your karma.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

In a nice way of course
He is always nearly right lol...and I now laugh and say "why did you not come over and kick our backsides back home years ago then and done us a favour"..he said he knew we'd come home but never in a million years did he think it would take us this long..lol...I met a friend who I have not seen for a while the other day for a coffee and she has been here for 20 years and in all the years I have known her she has moaned about Aus and moaned about wanting to go home...well now I seemed to have found my backbone again..lol..I just said when she started after her first sip of coffee "I'm bored to tears" I said and my FIL would of been proud of me "well either do something about it or shut up once and for all" bit harsh I know but well I've heard her go on like that for 12 years now...even I have my limits...she still wants to meet up for a coffee next week...

Its horrible today 42...what can you do except cook slowly in this heat...honestly we will not miss this heat or type of summer....and more of the same for the next week... so not only is Perth boring me/us to death its also cooking me to death as well ....I must of been a bad un in my previous life.....how was your night out in Manchester or should I say...did you leave anything of Manchester Standing..lol....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well FU then.....

Got some news for you. Look at your karma.
Orrrr...St.G thats cruel....dish the gossip...no I pride myself on not being nosey...a killer but alas true....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:22 am
Account Closed

He is always nearly right lol...and I now laugh and say "why did you not come over and kick our backsides back home years ago then and done us a favour"..he said he knew we'd come home but never in a million years did he think it would take us this long..lol...I met a friend who I have not seen for a while the other day for a coffee and she has been here for 20 years and in all the years I have known her she has moaned about Aus and moaned about wanting to go home...well now I seemed to have found my backbone again..lol..I just said when she started after her first sip of coffee "I'm bored to tears" I said and my FIL would of been proud of me "well either do something about it or shut up once and for all" bit harsh I know but well I've heard her go on like that for 12 years now...even I have my limits...she still wants to meet up for a coffee next week...

Its horrible today 42...what can you do except cook slowly in this heat...honestly we will not miss this heat or type of summer....and more of the same for the next week... so not only is Perth boring me/us to death its also cooking me to death as well ....I must of been a bad un in my previous life.....how was your night out in Manchester or should I say...did you leave anything of Manchester Standing..lol....
Night out round Manch was brilliant. Forgot how big the place was. It was great going somewhere different. Afflecks palace was an eye opener and defo going there again.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

In a nice way of course
Ha, ha, that is funny. As a friend of mine here basically said that to me in a nice way (she doesn't swear like us Brits........). It was unusual coming from her, but she has heard me moan one too many times, and I bet was dying to say it....................
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Hi, brits 1

Can I ask do you have any children you will be leaving behind in OZ if you return? I really wish I could just 'shut up' and 'put up' with my life here in OZ as I am even getting sick of yearning to go home myself now!! I try not to 'bore' other people (but probably do... Lol) and also feel I do the best I can to make the most of my life here, considering how home sick I am. When the other half of your Family want to stay and you want to go back, it is really hard, some day's I really wish I could take the 'bull by the horns' and just go, would be giving up on a almost 30yr marriage and leaving two sons here?? and starting again on my own at almost 50...wish I had a crystal ball.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Night out round Manch was brilliant. Forgot how big the place was. It was great going somewhere different. Afflecks palace was an eye opener and defo going there again.
Afflecks use to be brillian...full of young up and coming designers selling their fashions...when we went back it a couple of years ago now it seemed to have been more of a Goth place...well that what it seemed like to this old fogey......it will be nice to be able to write "had a brilliant night out"..lol not had one of those here in a loooonnnnngggg time...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

The heat ......ah. I went out for 10mins in the sun - have got so badly burnt i need to stay in for a day now. rang OH - its sleeting in the Uk but he made the kids do a 3hr hike with him and the dog. So which temperature is more restricting?

Poppet - I Have done the oppostite of the others going to the UK for short break by coming to perth to see how the land lies for 2 weeks, am going back to the UK today. Looking forward to seeing OH and littleuns again It was really worth the visit to me. Objective eyes if you know you've not got to stay there..... Good luck with visit. C

Last edited by chance to be; Feb 26th 2010 at 12:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.