Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

🇨🇦➡️🇬🇧❓ I can’t believe I’m even typing this…

🇨🇦➡️🇬🇧❓ I can’t believe I’m even typing this…

Old Feb 2nd 2024, 6:36 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Question 🇨🇦➡️🇬🇧❓ I can’t believe I’m even typing this…

…but I am getting more and more obsessed with the idea of moving back to the UK. Husband and I immigrated to Canada in 2012. Became Canadian citizens in 2019. Was a police officer 2004-2012 in UK. Work in natural resource law enforcement here in BC.

No kids, 3 dogs, would love to move rural in the UK, originally from West Yorkshire, interested in rural N.Yorkshire or similar. We own 2 houses outright in Canada (long story). I would be interested in police civilian work, maybe would try for being a cop again. But, a bit different now I’m 44 though. Husband is an apprentice trained joiner & has mostly disliked all of his work options in BC.

Right now, I don’t know if I even have any questions, although I am maybe seeking tips, tricks, things to consider. Can I bring my beloved Bronco vehicle back and drive it on the wrong side of the road as a left hand drive?!? Is that ridiculous? I feel like I’m just taking a huge step in typing this. I am reading other forum posts too, to learn what I can.
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 🇨🇦➡️🇬🇧❓ I can’t believe I’m even typing this…

Can you go for a month’s holiday, just to take the pulse? That’s what we’re planning to do.
Just curious - what’s wrong with Canada?
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 8:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
…but I am getting more and more obsessed with the idea of moving back to the UK. Husband and I immigrated to Canada in 2012. Became Canadian citizens in 2019. Was a police officer 2004-2012 in UK. Work in natural resource law enforcement here in BC.

No kids, 3 dogs, would love to move rural in the UK, originally from West Yorkshire, interested in rural N.Yorkshire or similar. We own 2 houses outright in Canada (long story). I would be interested in police civilian work, maybe would try for being a cop again. But, a bit different now I’m 44 though. Husband is an apprentice trained joiner & has mostly disliked all of his work options in BC.

Right now, I don’t know if I even have any questions, although I am maybe seeking tips, tricks, things to consider. Can I bring my beloved Bronco vehicle back and drive it on the wrong side of the road as a left hand drive?!? Is that ridiculous? I feel like I’m just taking a huge step in typing this. I am reading other forum posts too, to learn what I can.
Leave the Bronco behind, unless you are prepared to pay a lot more for insurance, repairs, etc., and to struggle for a parking space (I know the UK has trucks and SUVs now, but that won't make your Bronco any easier to park).

Also, driving in the UK is much more complicated in a larger vehicle, never mind in a LH drive vehicle. No massively wide thoroughfares, no open roads (cars parked roadside everywhere!).

I would have loved to bring my US truck back with me, but after I arrived here I realised it would have been a daft idea (for me, anyway).
Old Feb 3rd 2024, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on leaving the Bronco behind.

Definitely try and come for a long visit to see how you feel. Lots of great places in N. Yorkshire to live, but then again I am a bit biased. On Thursday I was buying eggs at the street market where we live and I dropped a £10 note which fluttered around while myself and the Bilsdale chicken farmer grabbed for it. After it landed on the ground we laughed about it being remarkable that 2 Yorkshiremen couldn’t catch a falling tenner.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

coolcat is an unknown quantity at this point

This was me last year. I was always that person who could never understand why people would even contemplate going back and tried to talk them out of it. But now we are planning our return to the UK hopefully next year. We did a pros and cons list. We are going back home this year to check out some areas we might move to and we are very happy with our decision. For us, comes down to British people (who are the best), cost of living and cheaper housing options. If we sold up and downsized here we would be living in a crappy town in the middle of nowhere!
Old Feb 6th 2024, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw

Hi, If your husband was happy with his “lot” in
Canada then would you even be thinking of returning, if the answer is no then why not try and
change your husbands profession this might help, if your answer is yes then I would say “come back home “ I personally would not bother with a holiday I have known tons of people who have done this both here in the UK and Australia and most were still unsettled so a waste of money to my mind and no matter what you are always in “holiday mode” , North Yorkshire and Northumberland are my favourite areas in the North and would move there in a shot but my DH wants us to “try” living nearer the south west. I would leave the Bronco in Canada and buy here in the UK we have plenty of choice for that type of car the new styled Landrover Defender is my current fav. Good luck with your decision you have been in Canada a while so you have given it a “good go” going through this decision stage and 2nd guessing everything is the most stressful part but you only live once so give it a try, you have citizenship if it does not work out you can always return.