Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Your current situation

Your current situation

Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:42 am
  #16  
Big Member
 
NorthernLad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,868
NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Hope the move back has gone smoothly and you're not too manic!
Relocaction has been 'challenging', The container left 16th March which was just in the nick of time.

Amazon has been a godsend here, they are dropping stuff off once a day, food shopping is considerably cheaper (and I still get excited when walking down the booze aisle).

And the (positive) change in people is visible - the respect for supermarket workers and delivery drivers is up there with doctors now, they are helping keep the country running (with virtually no PPE).

We keep seeing families going out for walks together, neighbours are all checking on each other, people are talking/Skyping/Zooming rather than Whatsapping. Its mindblowing.

But f*** me, that first pay slip after 16 years with deductions really hurts. I'm trying to convince myself all of it is going to help the NHS.


NorthernLad is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2020, 11:50 am
  #17  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 24,208
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
Relocaction has been 'challenging', The container left 16th March which was just in the nick of time.

Amazon has been a godsend here, they are dropping stuff off once a day, food shopping is considerably cheaper (and I still get excited when walking down the booze aisle).

And the (positive) change in people is visible - the respect for supermarket workers and delivery drivers is up there with doctors now, they are helping keep the country running (with virtually no PPE).

We keep seeing families going out for walks together, neighbours are all checking on each other, people are talking/Skyping/Zooming rather than Whatsapping. Its mindblowing.

But f*** me, that first pay slip after 16 years with deductions really hurts. I'm trying to convince myself all of it is going to help the NHS.
Good to hear lots of positives. Glad you're enjoying it and seeing those rather than just the deductions.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:17 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 12
thebadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your current situation

I had been having a bit of turbulent time in the UAE. Was only there 2 months - had been threatened with the sack by the client, then I got recalled from the UAE on March 23rd as Covid was a force majuere event.

My company provide a service to decontaminate, treat and dispose of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) from oil fields and the contaminated equipment associated with it.

I think the client (a very large oil company in the middle east) will almost certainly move to cancel the contract with my company, they already have cancelled a $1.5b contract with some big companies, which was the driving force behind the urgency of the project I was running.

I can see me being out work in the UK as well.

Last edited by thebadger; Apr 21st 2020 at 12:21 pm.
thebadger is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:52 pm
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 323
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

I left Doha for a weekend in the UK and got caught out by Qatar closing the border abruptly, two days earlier than they originally announced. Made it as far as check-in at Gatwick. It was always going to be a risk travelling at that time so it is what it is, and there are advantages to being locked down in Blighty as opposed to the Sand Pit.

Able to work from the UK for now but losing non-resident tax status is a concern, depending on how long this drags on for. Project itself is secure and long-term, but at some point they will pull the pin if I can’t get back on site.
Standanista is online now  
Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:16 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
HiHo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2019
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 185
HiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really niceHiHo is just really nice
Default Re: Your current situation

I'm back at work delivering infrastructure. I think this lock down has taught us some lessons for the future. 1 don't need offices and we don't need to travel to meeting. 2 We need to process and transport goods. I think we need to align our future investment and career objectives accordingly if possible. The company I currently work for (Houston, Texas based) disagree.
HiHo is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:41 am
  #21  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 24,208
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by HiHo View Post
I'm back at work delivering infrastructure. I think this lock down has taught us some lessons for the future. 1 don't need offices and we don't need to travel to meeting. 2 We need to process and transport goods. I think we need to align our future investment and career objectives accordingly if possible. The company I currently work for (Houston, Texas based) disagree.
There's going to be a funny bit, Co Durham Boy will be better informed than me but imagine a job gets tendered now, get consultants on board for cheaper fees, appoint sub-consultants and designers for cheaper fees, then go out to tender. Contractors are going to have a nightmare pricing something - they'll want to be cheap but what are material prices now? Impossible to get hold of I assume, then what are they going to be for the rest of the year? Are suppliers manufacturing any materials or are they shut down? Back orders will be huge so fresh orders will be inflated prices? But it's all guess work....I'd hate to be an estimator.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2020, 11:55 am
  #22  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 12
thebadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by thebadger View Post
I had been having a bit of turbulent time in the UAE. Was only there 2 months - had been threatened with the sack by the client, then I got recalled from the UAE on March 23rd as Covid was a force majuere event.

My company provide a service to decontaminate, treat and dispose of naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) from oil fields and the contaminated equipment associated with it.

I think the client (a very large oil company in the middle east) will almost certainly move to cancel the contract with my company, they already have cancelled a $1.5b contract with some big companies, which was the driving force behind the urgency of the project I was running.

I can see me being out work in the UK as well.
I knew things were bad, as alluded to a week ago, but didn't know how bad- my UK company went into receivership today after 23 years of trading.

We support mostly oil and gas in consultancy and engineering solutions. Downturn in work so far this year had seem redundancies at the tail end of last year. That coupled with cash flow problems from our big clients (company hasn't been paid for the middle east work) and our biggest client (in the UK) has been having cash flow problems of their own and hearing they are on the verge of liquidation too. However, I'm technical and not business so don't really know much about it. All I know is we were a fairly small and specialist company and didn't have the cash/asset reserves to absorb it.

Not sure where this will leave me with my tax liability for the work in the UAE (will things like provided accommodation that was part of the package be included in my tax liability?) but.... I'm out of a job. I was resident in the UAE (and for all intent had moved there) and my UK company was paying a salary + an allowance. The salary for my time there would be about £35,000, and the allowance about £17,000. If I have to pay HMRC tax on all of that, that is a £10k bill or there about (Scottish tax code)

I had been out in Ruwais 8 months, not 2 as mentioned. Easier to deny if somebody read my posts.

Last edited by thebadger; Apr 29th 2020 at 12:33 pm.
thebadger is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2020, 5:41 pm
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
martinbkk's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Bangkok/Doha
Posts: 597
martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
I left Doha for a weekend in the UK and got caught out by Qatar closing the border abruptly, two days earlier than they originally announced. Made it as far as check-in at Gatwick. It was always going to be a risk travelling at that time so it is what it is, and there are advantages to being locked down in Blighty as opposed to the Sand Pit.

Able to work from the UK for now but losing non-resident tax status is a concern, depending on how long this drags on for. Project itself is secure and long-term, but at some point they will pull the pin if I can’t get back on site.

Any news on when you might be able to get back in?
I'm following the Doha situation as I have a new contract due to start there as soon as I can get in.
Have only really read what is posted on the Peninsula news website, their reported infections seem large relative to the size of the population, but who knows with any government figures.
martinbkk is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2020, 9:19 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 323
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your current situation

Originally Posted by martinbkk View Post
Any news on when you might be able to get back in?
I'm following the Doha situation as I have a new contract due to start there as soon as I can get in.
Have only really read what is posted on the Peninsula news website, their reported infections seem large relative to the size of the population, but who knows with any government figures.
I think we’re stuck outside for months Martin, unfortunately. The Qataris were on the ball in locking down the industrial area early once the outbreak started so the rest of Doha hasn’t taken much of a hit, but they’re now running a tight ship. Returning Qataris are being put in the Hilton/Rotana etc for 14 days, and nobody else gets in. We’ve been told by the powers that be to prepare a plan to re-mobilise but have had no word on dates.

Having a guess based on what hotel chains are preparing for, it would be no earlier than September, and realistically, 2021.

Last edited by Standanista; Apr 29th 2020 at 9:40 pm.
Standanista is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.