Saudi offer

Old Mar 28th 2019, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi offer

Hello all, i have been approached for a senior engineer (Rail) job in KSA. (will be basing myself and family in Jubail, work location is around an hour's drive away. I know it is a s**thole etc. but will discuss this in detail in later posts),

After the two successful interviews, i have been verbally offered the job since and now been asked to provide certs/quals. etc with passport incl copy of latest payslip (i assume this is for them to make an offer officially). Again, i was verbally informed by the HR person that base salary range for this post is 35,000 SAR top, I assume the full package will be announced as part of official offer later in the process. I wanted to be prepared for the counter offer, hence needed some guidance and input on basis of below:

Currently on circa £55K p/a with company car included, yearly bonus 12%. i have 10 years experience. Two children aged 2 and 4 (starts school this September), Child 3 due November 2019. Purpose of move is to save money (primarily). Any views, advice on package (and negotiation) would be greatly welcome.
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2019, 1:57 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,882
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

So that's the Basic, right? I'm assuming that in addition to Basic, you will also be offered a standard Saudi contract, which includes a Housing Allowance ( usually 25% of Basic ) and also a Transport Allowance ( 10%). Obviously, the bigger the basic, the bigger the other allowances. You'd need to ask about things like Educational Allowance if it is available; make sure you get the best possible Medical Insurance as you've got another child due so will need ante / post natal. Also want to think about flights home, how many per year and how many children will the company support, some companies have a cap.

And you're right about Jubail. Good Luck.
nottmbantam is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2019, 2:13 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
So that's the Basic, right? I'm assuming that in addition to Basic, you will also be offered a standard Saudi contract, which includes a Housing Allowance ( usually 25% of Basic ) and also a Transport Allowance ( 10%). Obviously, the bigger the basic, the bigger the other allowances. You'd need to ask about things like Educational Allowance if it is available; make sure you get the best possible Medical Insurance as you've got another child due so will need ante / post natal. Also want to think about flights home, how many per year and how many children will the company support, some companies have a cap.

And you're right about Jubail. Good Luck.
Thanks for your thoughts, what would be a reasonable Education allowance (considering the ages). I would have to wait and see what they offer regarding flights and medical insurance, would help if i knew what the baseline is, I've seen flight offers of 3 times for management roles so will throw that out and see what they come back with.

If the above percentages of Education, housing, transport were offered, what would i be able to save on monthly basis, We don't drink, entertainment i guess would be limited to trips to bahrain/dubai as and when required.
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:49 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 587
gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by Tahir84 View Post
We don't drink, entertainment i guess would be limited to trips to bahrain/dubai as and when required.
You will not save much if you don't drink. partying on home brew is the cheapest entertainment in KSA. SR 35,000/month is about $9,000 per month which is about the minimum basic salary I would hope to get away with for a Senior Engineer with 10 years experience. I would I only take on Engineers on bachelor status and pay all costs on top of the basic salary. If you have good experience in your field (with 10 years experience you need to be at a principle engineer level) I would expect to pay a basic of $12,000 per month plus.
gottheTshirt is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2019, 5:26 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt View Post
You will not save much if you don't drink. partying on home brew is the cheapest entertainment in KSA. SR 35,000/month is about $9,000 per month which is about the minimum basic salary I would hope to get away with for a Senior Engineer with 10 years experience. I would I only take on Engineers on bachelor status and pay all costs on top of the basic salary. If you have good experience in your field (with 10 years experience you need to be at a principle engineer level) I would expect to pay a basic of $12,000 per month plus.
thanks for valuable thoughts, the next role up is of a manager which requires 15 yrs experience hence i had to go in at Senior level. My personal target of base salary was always 40,000 SAR minimum, so i will go back to them (once they have made the offer). and i am hoping education allowance will be a part of the package, even though over the recent months/years, it appears that not many current expats are being offered that.

I will post details once i have the definitive package details.

My next problem (which is more worrying for me personally) is the IN10 conviction in 2008 (with a court fine of around £200). I understand that this is a criminal conviction and may or may not show on ACRO certificate. Could this be a show stopper if it does show. i only remembered about this conviction while filling the ACRO form online, where it asks about any criminal conviction. Can someone please comment on this

Last edited by Tahir84; Mar 28th 2019 at 5:56 pm.
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2019, 6:36 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 587
gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Saudi offer

[QUOTE=Tahir84;12662396]even though over the recent months/years, it appears that not many current expats are being offered that.

True we have not paid education allowance for 15 years - we now offer only bachelor positions - if they want to bring wife and children it is at their expense. Over the last 15 years salaries of engineers from ME and Asian countries have continued to rise while western have continued to fall. The gap is now often very small. More supply than demand is continuing to bring down salaries, but also standards and production rates so low costs are not always economic.
gottheTshirt is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2019, 10:32 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

[QUOTE=gottheTshirt;12662468]
Originally Posted by Tahir84 View Post
even though over the recent months/years, it appears that not many current expats are being offered that.

True we have not paid education allowance for 15 years - we now offer only bachelor positions - if they want to bring wife and children it is at their expense. Over the last 15 years salaries of engineers from ME and Asian countries have continued to rise while western have continued to fall. The gap is now often very small. More supply than demand is continuing to bring down salaries, but also standards and production rates so low costs are not always economic.
may i ask what industry do you work in?
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2019, 5:34 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 65
omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt View Post
You will not save much if you don't drink. partying on home brew is the cheapest entertainment in KSA. SR 35,000/month is about $9,000 per month which is about the minimum basic salary I would hope to get away with for a Senior Engineer with 10 years experience. I would I only take on Engineers on bachelor status and pay all costs on top of the basic salary. If you have good experience in your field (with 10 years experience you need to be at a principle engineer level) I would expect to pay a basic of $12,000 per month plus.
Well said. I think the 35k salary for Saudi, especially for a position based around Jubail, is too low. Granted it's better than what the 55k pounds comes down to in the UK, but still I believe you should think twice about accepting the offer. Aim for 50k as basic and ask for the usual allowances as suggested.
omega7 is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2019, 1:47 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,882
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by Tahir84 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, what would be a reasonable Education allowance (considering the ages). I would have to wait and see what they offer regarding flights and medical insurance, would help if i knew what the baseline is, I've seen flight offers of 3 times for management roles so will throw that out and see what they come back with.

If the above percentages of Education, housing, transport were offered, what would i be able to save on monthly basis, We don't drink, entertainment i guess would be limited to trips to bahrain/dubai as and when required.
A lot of variables on Education Fees. Most of the companies that I know of who still pay it, do not link it to Basic, it is a flat rate fee. This tends to be ball park around 20-25k SR per child per year. Some cap it at max of 2 children, some cap it at four. Exceptions like BAE Systems for example will pay the full amount directly to the school
Same goes for flights, some will offer one ticket per year ( for your and the family) and some others will pay you one month basic salary and you source all your tickets from that one payment.
One other variable you might want to talk about is performance bonus. Chances are the company will not commit to anything at this stage, stating it is discretionary and dependent upon company performance etc , but this could be anything from 1 to 6 months basic. If you have a generous employer they might also have a Ramadan and an Eid Bonus

In terms of savings, again, this all depends on your outgoings. There will initially be a set up cost and a few months to find your feet so to speak, but on the whole, I can comfortably save around 60-70% of my monthly total, but then, it's just me and my wife - no kids. Not much else to spend it on out here.

Good Luck.
nottmbantam is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2019, 6:55 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 1,376
hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

If you are going out to live there, you need to be saving a shit-ton of money every month by doing so. If you are not then do not go - point blank.

Working in Saudi means carrying two buckets - one full of sh*t and one full of money. Wait until one of them fills up and then you leave.
hoofie2002 is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2019, 9:05 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
A lot of variables on Education Fees. Most of the companies that I know of who still pay it, do not link it to Basic, it is a flat rate fee. This tends to be ball park around 20-25k SR per child per year. Some cap it at max of 2 children, some cap it at four. Exceptions like BAE Systems for example will pay the full amount directly to the school
Same goes for flights, some will offer one ticket per year ( for your and the family) and some others will pay you one month basic salary and you source all your tickets from that one payment.
One other variable you might want to talk about is performance bonus. Chances are the company will not commit to anything at this stage, stating it is discretionary and dependent upon company performance etc , but this could be anything from 1 to 6 months basic. If you have a generous employer they might also have a Ramadan and an Eid Bonus

In terms of savings, again, this all depends on your outgoings. There will initially be a set up cost and a few months to find your feet so to speak, but on the whole, I can comfortably save around 60-70% of my monthly total, but then, it's just me and my wife - no kids. Not much else to spend it on out here.

Good Luck.
Very useful advice, i have submitted the requested documents, and now await the offer. This info has armed me enough to go back and counter the 35K basic.

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 View Post
If you are going out to live there, you need to be saving a shit-ton of money every month by doing so. If you are not then do not go - point blank.

Working in Saudi means carrying two buckets - one full of sh*t and one full of money. Wait until one of them fills up and then you leave.
That is the idea.
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2019, 9:55 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 8,211
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

Tahir, you have bveen asking about taking a joib in Saudi since 2015. Still hesitating ?
scot47 is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2019, 10:01 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 95
Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saudi offer

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Tahir, you have bveen asking about taking a joib in Saudi since 2015. Still hesitating ?
True, and i have had offers since however didnt materialise due to various reasons. This one seems to be in the ballpark (at least at initial stage). i just wanted to get this screened by wise sages of BE and didn't want to accept something in desperation.
Tahir84 is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2019, 12:04 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 273
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

Good luck Tahir. Definitely good to get some initial ME rail experience on your CV. It will open doors to juicer opportunities later, plenty happening in the region.
Standanista is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 10:43 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 273
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi offer

FLOW Consortium, Riyadh Metro Lines 3/4/5/6 O&M, have been struggling to get people. Could be worth dropping your CV to them as well.
Standanista is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.