Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Al Ain

Where to stay in Al Ain

Old Oct 9th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to stay in Al Ain

Ok so now we are told it is Al Ain, not AD, where we will be based (wish someone would make their mind up!). So ................................. now that we have established that we may just make it financially, where are good places to stay in Al Ain? If there is already a thread on this subject if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also, are there any decent gym's/fitness centres in Al Ain?

That's all folks! (for now)
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:49 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in Al Ain

I hope you like the quiet life. There isn't that much to do in Al Ain, but housing is cheaper.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Al+Ain
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

The rugby/golf/shooting club at Al Ain is very good
Old Oct 10th 2012, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Horse and Jockey and rugby club.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are there no pictures of villas/apartments to rent in Al Ain? It makes it really difficult to even start looking at what is available.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl
Why are there no pictures of villas/apartments to rent in Al Ain? It makes it really difficult to even start looking at what is available.
Sure there are Look under Real Estate: http://www.alainexpat.com/
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Not sure if you have kids or not, but the schools in Al Ain are not the best for 12+ kids at the English school. If you have kids of that age and hope they do well you need to be in AD or Dubai. Maybe worth thinking about. Silicon Oasis is about 1 hr drive from Al Ain depending on where job is...and you have something to do at the weekends in Dubai. Not a lot ever happens in Al Ain, even without older kids.

As for properties in Al Ain, most ads will not show you decent pics. They certainly will not show you views outside as it is hard to get a pretty view anywhere. It is not like AD or Dubai where they have nice views etc to show off.

When I looked back in 2011 for my apartment I did not find any that had decent pics even of the inside prior to viewing.

You can get in touch with a few agents, and they will take you to properties they know are empty.

Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Supercharger is an unknown quantity at this point

Indigo Girl
Don't listen to them. There's plenty to do here. I just arrived from Australia two weeks ago and I've fallen in love with the place.
There are no pictures of Villa's and apartments because, according to the Real Estate Agent I spoke with, it's cut-throat; put an ad/picture up and another agent takes your business! In addition, he had not advertised for about 3mths - just too busy. There are a lot of places available, but they do get snapped up pretty quickly. Average is about 2 weeks on the market, though some will last for a lot longer, for no apparent reason?
Don't sweat it too much via the internet - better to arrive then call a Real Estate Agent (they work almost entirely from their cars). You will be picked up and treated to an "Escape to the Country - Al Ain Experience". The agent can zero you in on places, suburbs, locations, what's value-for-money, and what's not etc. If you PM me I'll give you the details for a British Agent (007?) who is brilliant in my book. He'll look after your interests.
In terms of the location, it may be a little quieter in terms of nightclub life, but I'll be damned if you could call it a country town, or quiet in general. As for properties not having 'curb appeal'? What a load of nonsense! We will move into a 7 Bed Mansion next week with the family, and it is stunning - as are the buildings around it, and this is not an isolated location in Al Ain. In addition, it's far cheaperthan Dubai or Abu Dhabi. A trip to Abu Dhabi in the weekend takes 1hr20-1hr30 (depends how you drive ;-). Oddly, the speed limit is 20km higher heading to Dubai, so around 50min from Al Ain in that direction. In the meantime, the air is dryer, escaping the humidity of the coastal towns.
From my short experience in-country thus far, Al Ain offers a diversity of cultures, history and architechtures that the two larger towns struggle to match. If you like everything to be new, and you want to go clubbing each night - no, Al Ain is not somewhere you will enjoy. If you have kids, like the peace and quiet, but still want some great shopping malls AND great scenery AND incredibly warm and friendly people, Al Ain is the Bee's Knees!
You will love it - just don't tell anyone. We're trying to keep it a secret
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supercharger
From my short experience in-country thus far, Al Ain offers a diversity of cultures, history and architechtures that the two larger towns struggle to match.
Which guide book have you quoted this from?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

O.K., Fair enough - but not a guide book.

Have you been to the museum in Al Ain? I have! Al Ain has a fascinating history. It also has (very) old sectors as well as the very new.

Cultures? I have met a lot of people from the Philippines. I have learnt to recognize the variations in National dress between the Dishdashas of UAE, KSA and Oman. At my place of work there are Emiraties, Italians, Canadians, Singaporeans, French, Australians, Jordanians and Pakistanis. Yesterday, whilst walking through Sonaiya, looking through the Used Cars, I was invited and sat down to tea with two Afghanis. Compared to my home country, Al Ain has a diverse cultures.

Architecture - Dubai and Abu Dhabi, wow! Amazing, cutting edge technology. I was told that some concept building coming to fruition now, weren't even technically feasible some 5 years ago. I am neither architect, nor engineer; but it seems possible given what is gracing the skyline. Al Ain is not that kind of skyline. It has some extraordinary Malls and shopping centres, but wander from Al Ain Mall to Sonaiya and the diversity of architecture is immediately obvious. Heading out to Jebel Hafeet there are also some very old parts of the town, or smaller villages that have been absorbed over the years. Still extremely engaging though, as was my point.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

From Al Ain I can be in Abu Dhabi or Dubai in a very short time, yet I (shall) spend my week in a 7 Bed, 9 Bath home that costs 50k per year less than a friend who has just moved into a 4 Bed Townhouse in Khalifa City A. With a young family, and the 'clubbing years' some decades behind me, it is a great place to live!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are enjoying it. I also like Al Ain - do a road trip from Al Ain, via Jebel Shams (camp there) and head to Muscat. The UAE is a bag of shit compared to what is on the other side of the boarder.