Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Moving from AUH To Doha

Moving from AUH To Doha

Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all
Default Moving from AUH To Doha

Heard today, looks like it's Doha for us in a months time, I'm sick of AD anyway so strangely looking forward to it.

Has anyone gone from UAE to Doha recently, specifically I'm thinking about moving the furniture and of course the car, as I've heard horror stories about import duties in Doha I'm wondering is it going to be an awful faff to sort it all or should I just sell everything here in AD and start fresh??

I'm a little concerned about night life as well, although I'm not hard to please in that area really, will I be able to count on one hand the amount of bars in Doha?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:52 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from AUH To Doha

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Heard today, looks like it's Doha for us in a months time, I'm sick of AD anyway so strangely looking forward to it.

Has anyone gone from UAE to Doha recently, specifically I'm thinking about moving the furniture and of course the car, as I've heard horror stories about import duties in Doha I'm wondering is it going to be an awful faff to sort it all or should I just sell everything here in AD and start fresh??

I'm a little concerned about night life as well, although I'm not hard to please in that area really, will I be able to count on one hand the amount of bars in Doha?
I did the AD to Doha switch (Via the UK for an op).

Few points, the car has to be less than 5 years old to send it here and yes there is a 5% tax on an imported car (You need a moody sale receipt from AD or they will charge you an extra white tax). You will then need to reregister it here from the AD export plates and make the insurance. In a nutshell sell it and buy again here.

As regards belongings there are plenty of places to furnish a house at a reasonable price, I would only bring essentials or favoured items - But I hold no emotional attachment to pieces of furniture etc.

Doha is a mini AD to me as there was not much to do there, there are plenty of bars here - We have the Irish which is like PJ's there is the Sherezad which is like hemmingways, Trader Vics - Like Trader Vics and some really cool upper end bars in W and other places. There is maybe 10 bars I would visit here - Not to indifferent to Abu Dhabi
Old Oct 15th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Great, thanks for the reply, I've been to Doha a couple of times with work but never got further than the office and once to a mall for a coffee, still I can't see it's going to be much different to here really, like you said yourself AD isn't exactly the hub of the universe! A few bars is all I need!

Agreed on the furniture I think we'll just sell it, he can put the important bits in the car if he wants when he's sorting that out, good news on that one as it's only 3 years old now. No doubt it will go smoothly for Mr Lanark, everything else normally does!
Old Oct 15th 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

I shipped 5 cubic metres of stuff frm auh-doh last month. The cheapest and best quote was frm Rajab Cargo, opposite Zayed Gold Souq behind Etihad Airways.

Ask 4 Suppriya. She was mega helpful and I will use them again. Insist on one final price including all customs.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Fizzy_Bear is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks for the reply, I've been to Doha a couple of times with work but never got further than the office and once to a mall for a coffee, still I can't see it's going to be much different to here really, like you said yourself AD isn't exactly the hub of the universe! A few bars is all I need!

Agreed on the furniture I think we'll just sell it, he can put the important bits in the car if he wants when he's sorting that out, good news on that one as it's only 3 years old now. No doubt it will go smoothly for Mr Lanark, everything else normally does!
From what I have seen it does not seem too different to Abu Dhabi.

As for shipping the car and general moving stuff, look at Expat Woman Qatar section. I have seen a few useful posts on there from people that are relocating from Dubai to Doha and there are some recommendations re who to use for shipping the car.

I have heard though that the furniture is not very good in Doha. There is a Home Centre which seems popular. No Ikea til later next year. If you have some nice pieces I would recommend bringing them as you would not get much for selling them second hand.

I got a quote from Euro Movers for a 20ft container, door to door for AED12,500. Seems pretty good but I did not check for comparables as my move will go on hold for now.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

I've just moved from UAE to Doha.

I agree with the sentiment re selling the car in the UAE (Dubizzle is your friend) and buying another one here.... I can recommend someone who might be able to help with you finding a decent motor in Doha without selling you a deathtrap and doing you a deal...

In terms of furniture - Doha is pretty limited for furniture, in the same way it's limited for just about everything else. If you've got your worldly possessions then for the sake of a couple of grand sterling, I'd bring your stuff here. Just to be clear, there is FVCK ALL here.

Anything else, drop me a PM.

I lived in Abu Dhabi from 04-06. I must say that Doha is 10years behind AUH even then. But I'm told I will like it eventually.....
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

its alright her plans have now changed she is now looking at going to dubai.....
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

25k AED in AUH or 28K QAR in DOH. Both with accomodation, all bills, car, fuel, medical etc. Which would you choose?
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011

I lived in Abu Dhabi from 04-06. I must say that Doha is 10years behind AUH even then. But I'm told I will like it eventually.....
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert-rat
25k AED in AUH or 28K QAR in DOH. Both with accomodation, all bills, car, fuel, medical etc. Which would you choose?
AUH
Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:31 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
AUH
If you drink like a fish AD. If you want to save Qatar, and save the extra 3k. That's an extra 1 1/2 months salary.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busybee2
its alright her plans have now changed she is now looking at going to dubai.....
Actually things have changed again, we now have the offer of staying with the same company and going to Dubai for the same package as now, goin to Doha for a better package or going to Doha, changing company better package and possibly a more senior role.

The only things thats certain is I'm going to need cardboard boxes one way or another!
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually things have changed again, we now have the offer of staying with the same company and going to Dubai for the same package as now, goin to Doha for a better package or going to Doha, changing company better package and possibly a more senior role.

The only things thats certain is I'm going to need cardboard boxes one way or another!
going to dxb will be more money in your pocket as cheaper (although more bars so maybe not!). doha its like Ad was many moons ago, so spends are less, but it depends on the contract sometimes its better sticking with what you know!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

fruitbat1970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send me a message LW if you do go to Doha, my friends here in Kuwait are moving there in the new year, so they, like you, will be looking for new friends.