Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to play golf in Dubai?

Where to play golf in Dubai?

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Where to play golf in Dubai?

Thinking of having a round of golf but don't have a 5* budget, so where's good to play and how much will it cost? I am not a member anywhere and don't have a handicap certificate... I used to play at the National course in Abu Dhabi and they had a twilight rate of 350 Dirhams which was the best I found. I believe the new Saadiyat island course is excellent but is 500 Dirhams a round. Moved down to Dubai recently and would like to know my options...?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:19 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to play golf in Dubai?

I am in Bahrin at the moment so have not played in Dxb for six months or so but from memory of courses played:

Reasonable cost:
Jebel Ali - Pretty 9 hole course
Tower Link - Ras Al Khaimha - but only 1hr drive
Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club – Ok but not great
Al Hamra (sp) – On way to RAK, again ok but not great course (Except 18th hole which is stunning)

Others:
Arabian Ranches - Used to be reasonably priced. Challenging if you miss the fairways.
Montgomerie- Wide and forgiving, not sure on cost now though
Creek – Expensive long and narrow. Good challenge and well worth a round
Emirates – Either course. Majilis is well documented and is a great course. I think the Faldo course is underrated, challenging but a good course none the less.
Els- Ok, used to love it but it gets a but “samey” if you play it week in week out. Wide in most places, tough greens.
Al Badia – Fairly wide in general but with some tough holes. Normally in immaculate condition.

Courses not played:
Earth and whatever the other new one is.

I think that's most of them.... Green fee's not sure. The top section all used to besub 500 for 18 the others 700+ and that was, as mentioed, over 6 months ago. All the courses are "google"able or get links from the UGA website (also a good way to get a few AED off.

Maybe some-one here is a member somewhere and can get you on as a guest. That'll help with the green fee's.

One recommendation is that you play the Majilis though, even if just the once....

Last edited by Welivehere; Mar 23rd 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
Thinking of having a round of golf but don't have a 5* budget, so where's good to play and how much will it cost? I am not a member anywhere and don't have a handicap certificate... I used to play at the National course in Abu Dhabi and they had a twilight rate of 350 Dirhams which was the best I found. I believe the new Saadiyat island course is excellent but is 500 Dirhams a round. Moved down to Dubai recently and would like to know my options...?
it's not cheap...alternatively you could try bunking on...for example if you fancy the Majlis there's a hole in the fence by the third tee which allows easy access from SZR
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Welivehere, a great summary!

Anyone got any idea how much these cost to play as a non-member? All over 500 Dirham on a weekend?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:24 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Shandolier

Post edited to add a bit more on pricing..... HTH
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:27 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
I am in Bahrin at the moment so have not played in Dxb for six months or so but from memory of courses played:

Reasonable cost:
Jebel Ali - Pretty 9 hole course - Agreed,
Tower Link - Ras Al Khaimha - but only 1hr drive - Dunno
Sharjah Golf and Shooting Club – Ok but not great - Dunno
Al Hamra (sp) – On way to RAK, again ok but not great course (Except 18th hole which is stunning) - Disagree. I find Al Hamra a stunning course. Pretty forgiving

Others:
Arabian Ranches - Used to be reasonably priced. Challenging if you miss the fairways. - and a perect drive can see you with a dodgy lie and a badly grounded club on the dirt...
Montgomerie- Wide and forgiving, not sure on cost now though - Agreed
Creek – Expensive long and narrow. Good challenge and well worth a round
Emirates – Either course. Majilis is well documented and is a great course. I think the Faldo course is underrated, challenging but a good course none the less. - Agreed
Els- Ok, used to love it but it gets a but “samey” if you play it week in week out. Wide in most places, tough greens. - Agreed, especially on the greens
Al Badia – Fairly wide in general but with some tough holes. Normally in immaculate condition. - Dunno

Courses not played:
Earth and whatever the other new one is.

I think that's most of them.... Green fee's not sure. The top section all used to besub 500 for 18 the others 700+ and that was, as mentioed, over 6 months ago. All the courses are "google"able or get links from the UGA website (also a good way to get a few AED off.

Maybe some-one here is a member somewhere and can get you on as a guest. That'll help with the green fee's.

One recommendation is that you play the Majilis though, even if just the once....
Certainly go for UGA membership. Even without a H/Cap cert, you can get full membership and on average 20-25% off green fees.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

AUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really niceAUHJohn is just really nice

Tower Links, Al Hamra and Sharjah all between 400 and 450 dhs for 18 holes at weekend. UGA only meant 30dhs a round saving.
Best to get the 2 for 1 vouchers out of the entertainer, which allow you to play at Al Hamra or Sharjah on weekdays or Saturdays
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:40 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Certainly go for UGA membership. Even without a H/Cap cert, you can get full membership and on average 20-25% off green fees.
I vaguely remember Mr Kitty saying that the Entertainer had some money off vouchers, or BOGOF, or something... anyhow, he said that it made a good round of golf "reasonable", but then again, he would say that!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Els is relatively cheap (about 370dhs I think) after 2pm for residents. About 450ish any other time (2 for 1's in the entertainer as well). I think it's a pretty decent course although the surroundings (villas under construction) don't help it.

Earth and Fire courses are both absolutely brilliant (I think Fire is better and certainly more playable) and are both 595AED - but only available when playing with a member.

There will be specials coming up for most courses as summer approaches....but then of course it's almost unbearable playing in the summer.

I say 'almost unbearable' because golf is never really completely unbearable.

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 23rd 2010 at 2:13 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
10%-15%.
And they've increased their fees this year.......it's debatable that it's worth it now unless you want to maintain a handicap and play comps.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

dodgyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey. I used tohave memberhip at the Ranches through work and I'm moving back out there. Did they ditch joining fees a while back, or was that a rumour?

And I guess if they did, are they still doing so? I remember the membership being better value where you still ended up paying for each round you played unless you were able to play 4 time a week or so with the unlimted deal.

Still the case?

Thanks folks

Rick
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

dodgyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dodgyg
Hey. I used tohave memberhip at the Ranches through work and I'm moving back out there. Did they ditch joining fees a while back, or was that a rumour?

And I guess if they did, are they still doing so? I remember the membership being better value where you still ended up paying for each round you played unless you were able to play 4 time a week or so with the unlimted deal.

Still the case?

Thanks folks

Rick
I also used to be able to type...
Old Mar 25th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

GingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really niceGingerWizard is just really nice

if you want cheap and the possibility to play on weekends - as members some weekends cant even get a round at the popular courses

Jebel Ali & Sharjah - 2 best options - both 9 holers but good to play twice round

Al Hamra - again not overly priced and quicker to get to than Tower Links in RAK

if you can play midweek - then prices drop by 30% on average, its daylight at 6am now so if your first cab off the rank, zip round 18 holes in 2.5hrs
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if you book online at this site you get a mega discounted rate for rounds of golf. 220 dhs etc.

www.ezlinks.com

(select asia as the golf destination)

husband said to tell you it says prices in $ but it isn't it is Dhs

Last edited by Blue Cat; Mar 27th 2010 at 7:33 am.