Reload this Page >

Last minute nerves

Last minute nerves

Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

danny2034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last minute nerves

Hi everyone

I have accepted a job out in Jeddah I will be commuting each day to Kaust. I am due to fly out in a couple of weeks.

I am getting last minute nerves now - not so much about the job and relocation to Saudi Arabia but from the threat of terrorism.

At the end of the day I have 2 very young children .... is it worth the risk ??

I keep on reading about shootings and attacks - do you feel safe out there ?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:02 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last minute nerves

It is almost 6 years since I lived in Riyadh, so this may affect the accuracy of what I say.

I think the day to day threat of being personally affected by terrorism in the KSA is quite low.

When I was there, there were individual shootings of western males, usually at traffic lights. There were about 3 in the 3 years I was there.

I believe things are a lot more relaxed than they were at that time and general security, from the security forces is a lot more intense and effective, particularly around compounds.

I dont have the figures to prove this (before someone asks), but would say you have more chance of having a car accident crossing the road to the airport in UK, or of choking on a chicken bone from your dinner the night before you leave.

I guess this wouldnt stop you driving, or crossing the road, or eating chicken.

Your anxieties are understandable, and quite normal, particularly considering you have 2 children.

However, the reality of the situation as I see it is that you are no more at risk or personal harm than you would be staying in the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Where or what is Kaust?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:12 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I just Googled it....

http://www.kaust.edu.sa/about/about.html

I like Google!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danny2034
Hi everyone

I have accepted a job out in Jeddah I will be commuting each day to Kaust. I am due to fly out in a couple of weeks.

I am getting last minute nerves now - not so much about the job and relocation to Saudi Arabia but from the threat of terrorism.

Hi there,
we live here with our kids and feel as safe as you can feel living in the ME. Means it is ok, but of course it would be stupid to close your eyes for the risks and you just don't go to certain areas at certain times. But I think that applies nowadays to every western big-city as well.
So, take it easy
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for the advice - I'm not totally 'green' as i have spent a fair bit of time travelling alone throughout the world.

Just the obvious butterflys and nerves - particularly with the family - and the thoughts of the likes of the school commute with a 5 year old.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:27 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the advice - I'm not totally 'green' as i have spent a fair bit of time travelling alone throughout the world.

Just the obvious butterflys and nerves - particularly with the family - and the thoughts of the likes of the school commute with a 5 year old.
Why would you not live at KAUST itself? The facilities are supposed to be excellent and within the KAUST environment much more liberal eg. no covering required, women can drive etc.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Not in the job spec - we will be offering a service to kaust
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Nothing here in Jeddah worse than in any big city.

I live off compound and drive downtown to work everyday, I run and walk the streets at all hours no problem.

Of course the situation is changeable, as anywhere, but at present it's the driving you need to worry about - not the threat of terrorism.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Cheers Bonny - I had recently read so much about shootings at traffic lights and about the poor guy in Riyadh who got purposely knocked off his bike.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:16 am
Just Joined

medo360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

if your worries about terrrsiom ,I think every thing undercountrol ,, everybody just relaxed ,,and no worries .

If you accepted job in kaust ..you should order the kaust compound cuz it's about an hour from jeddah , so you may get tired of driving 100 km every day