Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to Live in AD

Where to Live in AD

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:17 am
Just Joined

millerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to Live in AD

In discussions for a job in Port Zayed AD - where would be a good area in town to live on a single occupancy basis and an economic rent? (wife and kids back in NZ saving the money...)
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Live in AD

anywhere... rents are stupid, but closest would be mina or tourist club area but the problem is that salam st is being dug up for the next two years so there is a lot of roadworks and diversions in that area and the noise well
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck, you won't find an abundance of 1/2 bedroom apartments in town.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by millerman
In discussions for a job in Port Zayed AD - where would be a good area in town to live on a single occupancy basis and an economic rent? (wife and kids back in NZ saving the money...)
unless its a construction job you might want to take into account that Port Zayed is to close with operations shifting to Port Khalifa (not sure when that is though)
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to beholdBambi in Abu Dhabi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by millerman
You could live anywhere in the city and get to work within about 15 mins. For instance, in today's Abu Dhabi Week there are 2 studio apartments, one in Khalidya (Dh85k) and one in Mushrif (Dh75k), a one bedroom on Naida Street (Dh75,00) and a 2 bedroom on Airport Road (Dh145,000).

Any of these properties would be commutable to/from the port. Of course, they probably won't be available by the time you arrive, and you need your Residence Visa before you can rent, but I offer them merely as examples.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
unless its a construction job you might want to take into account that Port Zayed is to close with operations shifting to Port Khalifa (not sure when that is though)
soonish i believe.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
You could live anywhere in the city and get to work within about 15 mins. For instance, in today's Abu Dhabi Week there are 2 studio apartments, one in Khalidya (Dh85k) and one in Mushrif (Dh75k), a one bedroom on Naida Street (Dh75,00) and a 2 bedroom on Airport Road (Dh145,000).

Any of these properties would be commutable to/from the port. Of course, they probably won't be available by the time you arrive, and you need your Residence Visa before you can rent, but I offer them merely as examples.
yeh saw those examples, but as usual they are usually just non existant, a ploy to get you use them, they have always done that here "oh sorry you have just missed them, but we have this one for twice the price".
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your comments. I am due to fly into AD around 15th for interview and look around - if I have only one night free where should I go to meet some real expats and get some real answers to all the other million and one things I should be asking about? Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:31 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

The bar on the ground floor of the Al Ain Palace Hotel will be a good place to see the expats of Abu Dhabi in action.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
anywhere... rents are stupid, but closest would be mina or tourist club area but the problem is that salam st is being dug up for the next two years so there is a lot of roadworks and diversions in that area and the noise well
Agree with BB2, toursit club would be best and cheapest, prices have come down in AD and availability is up
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commander
The bar on the ground floor of the Al Ain Palace Hotel will be a good place to see the expats of Abu Dhabi in action.
Read the Commanders words carefully. I believe this bar is fully of extremely friendly foreign ladies wanting to lead you astray!!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Agree with BB2, toursit club would be best and cheapest, prices have come down in AD and availability is up
and more coming onto the market soon........
Old Apr 4th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

I just am just in the process from moving flats on Abu Dhabi island and heres what i found.

Studios in converted villas are about AED85k for something half nice, this would be in Areas such as Bateen, Khalydia, Mushrif which are all nice enough and not too far from the Port and other amenities.

One beds seem to go from about AED125K although a friend found one for AED90K once again in converted villas, towers in town centre seem to go for 20% more on average. Seems prices are about the same as a year ago when i moved from Dubai.

I cant understand peoples comments that its impossible to find somewhere, i looked at about 6 flats in 4 days and half of them were perfectly ok. For sure the price is rediculous but theres nothing that can be done about it for now, just dont spend over your allowance. For a family i think it would be hard but for singletons its not hard to find a decent large studio or onebed, what more do you really need if on your own?

You definitely need to act fast though, i lost one i wanted within 24hrs as i was too slow with the deposit. Best go there with deposit and get company to put it in their name whilst visa is getting processed and get them to pay the year upfront and pay them back monthly. There is for sure more properties coming on line as locals are converting their villas to make some fast cash.

Some seemingly good estate agents i delt with were, Future view & Transworld although i didnt actually rent from them in the end.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shat Fink
I just am just in the process from moving flats on Abu Dhabi island and heres what i found.

Studios in converted villas are about AED85k for something half nice, this would be in Areas such as Bateen, Khalydia, Mushrif which are all nice enough and not too far from the Port and other amenities.

One beds seem to go from about AED125K although a friend found one for AED90K once again in converted villas, towers in town centre seem to go for 20% more on average. Seems prices are about the same as a year ago when i moved from Dubai.

I cant understand peoples comments that its impossible to find somewhere, i looked at about 6 flats in 4 days and half of them were perfectly ok. For sure the price is rediculous but theres nothing that can be done about it for now, just dont spend over your allowance. For a family i think it would be hard but for singletons its not hard to find a decent large studio or onebed, what more do you really need if on your own?

You definitely need to act fast though, i lost one i wanted within 24hrs as i was too slow with the deposit. Best go there with deposit and get company to put it in their name whilst visa is getting processed and get them to pay the year upfront and pay them back monthly. There is for sure more properties coming on line as locals are converting their villas to make some fast cash.

Some seemingly good estate agents i delt with were, Future view & Transworld although i didnt actually rent from them in the end.
yes they are converting villas into apartments, some of these are illegal. they need to get the correct permit to change the usage first and also if the electricity etc is included more than likely its not legal (if in a high rise the chiller may be included). you should have your own meter etc. if they have done it illegally you may loose out, as the municipality will evict tenants and possibility that you may not get money back. so check the paperwork first of the apartment.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks guys for all your comments, much appreciated. If I can be of reciprocal help for anyone regarding New Zealand just ask...