British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-live-636668/)

Aikman7981 Oct 24th 2009 2:16 pm

Re: Where to live?

We are starting to refine our search thanks to the advice received here. We expect that we will live in either the Springs or Lakes. School should be Regent or King's depending mostly on spaces. I think we've all but ruled out living in AD. The hour drive looks very much worth it for the benefits of living anywhere in Dubai.

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2009 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8041495)
We are starting to refine our search thanks to the advice received here. We expect that we will live in either the Springs or Lakes. School should be Regent or King's depending mostly on spaces. I think we've all but ruled out living in AD. The hour drive looks very much worth it for the benefits of living anywhere in Dubai.

my daughter is at Regent, you should get onto them they seem pretty full I have to say :)

klaus3974 Oct 25th 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8039131)
Beaches on the Palm looked nice according to my wife. She looked at some 3 beds in Tiara. If anyone lives on the palm I'd love to hear if there are traffic probs.

Live in the Palm. Absolutely no traffic problem. However, there is nothing walking distance and only a few building have mini-marts (expensive and only the basics).

NorthernLad Oct 25th 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 8043005)
Live in the Palm. Absolutely no traffic problem. However, there is nothing walking distance and only a few building have mini-marts (expensive and only the basics).

We've never had a problem with traffic either.

Barca, Gusto, Cabana and Biddi Bondi are all walkable.

Aikman7981 Oct 25th 2009 10:16 am

Noted, the Palm may have to be considered. We've never lived in an apartment before so I don't know how the minor inconveniences add up, like making multiple trips carrying groceries up 7 stories or so.

There certainly seem to be some appealing 3 beds on the shoreline in the right budget.

Blue Cat Oct 25th 2009 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8043183)
Noted, the Palm may have to be considered. We've never lived in an apartment before so I don't know how the minor inconveniences add up, like making multiple trips carrying groceries up 7 stories or so.

There certainly seem to be some appealing 3 beds on the shoreline in the right budget.

if we weren't where we are now we would be on the Palm :)

NorthernLad Oct 25th 2009 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8043183)
making multiple trips carrying groceries up 7 stories or so.

Buy one of the metal trolleys and a plastic box from IKEA. Then it takes one trip.

Blue Cat Oct 25th 2009 10:42 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 8043227)
Buy one of the metal trolleys and a plastic box from IKEA. Then it takes one trip.

I nicked one from Choithrams :eek:

Aikman7981 Oct 25th 2009 10:53 am

All good to know. The palm was waning in our opinion but has rejoined the contenders. We'll see what happens with prices between now and January I suppose.

commander Oct 26th 2009 2:25 am

this is nailbiting...

Aikman7981 Oct 26th 2009 11:18 am

Nailbiting it is not.

What it is, however, is helpful practical advice.

Mangrove would be my first choice, but since that's impossible I'll "settle" for Dubai.

commander Oct 26th 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8045608)
Nailbiting it is not.

What it is, however, is helpful practical advice.

Mangrove would be my first choice, but since that's impossible I'll "settle" for Dubai.

Why impossible? there are empty houses? i guess the price is still stupid?

Aikman7981 Oct 26th 2009 1:27 pm

No vacancies are advertised for Mangrove and I understand the going rate is nearly 400k. We need to coordinate school in advance and AD is waaaay more expensive with fewer options so we're better served by a sure thing. But hey, if you know of a place opening up there in January for 220k I'll take it!

Amnesia180 Oct 26th 2009 4:03 pm

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I really hope you won't mind OP.

What sort of 1 bed apartments can be expected in Dubai for around 70-80k? (Not including bills). When I get out at the beginning of next year I'll have 3 months accomodation sorted for me, after that I'll be looking at my own place (not provided for).
I too, will be commuting to Abu Dhabi (but also working out of their Dubai offices on certain days).

Aikman7981 Oct 26th 2009 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8033571)
Check out this new development, we love it!

See above.

Note: I'm rarely snarky but I've just been hijacked and this one was too obvious.