British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Where to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/where-live-636668/)

Aikman7981 Oct 20th 2009 1:04 pm

Where to live?

Hello all...

My job is shifting from Al Ain to off island Abu Dhabi (Zayed Military City). We are weighing the pros and cons of staying off island AD or Dubai. The company expects my housing budget to be 220k or less all fees included. There's 4 of us so we're trying for a 3 bed.

Basically AD is limited to MBZ, Khalifa City, Raha, and Reef. Dubai options are Ranches, Em Living, maybe a nice apartment on the Palm. I need input on traffic, quality of life, etc from some of these places so we can make an informed decision.

There is one more big factor here: schools. We have a 5 year old in reception and I don't want to pay through the nose (worse than I am) for a decent school (American or Brit).

The move is to happen at the end of Jan.

Basically, is driving an hour each way worth it for the family?

Thanks all...

Aikman7981 Oct 21st 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Where to live?

Does this thread have the plague?

I thought I'd get loads of responses in the vein of: Avoid (fill in development) because traffic is terrible.

Or: Have you considered _____, we just love it!

Euc- Oct 21st 2009 2:02 pm

Check out this new development, we love it!

Ethos83 Oct 21st 2009 3:20 pm

I don't care for Abu Dhabi. Dubai has more social activities, better restaurants and malls, and the beaches are far better.

Stick to the south end of Dubai and you will be fine. The commute is annoying, but as ong as you aren't going onto the island itself it should stay just under 1 hour each way.

Look at the Springs. Can you pocket your housing allowance difference? If so rent a 3-bed for 135K and save the rest. If not, get a Meadows/Lakes villa. I have to say I was in the Lakes the other day and was surprised at how so many of the villas, all fairly new, were already showing signs of shoddy workmanship with ill-fitting doors and windows and cracks in the walls. But that's Dubai for you.

Ranches is a bit further north.

Other option is a glam dam apartment in the lower end of the Marina, just by the exit ramp for Abu.

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8030677)
Hello all...

My job is shifting from Al Ain to off island Abu Dhabi (Zayed Military City). We are weighing the pros and cons of staying off island AD or Dubai. The company expects my housing budget to be 220k or less all fees included. There's 4 of us so we're trying for a 3 bed.

Basically AD is limited to MBZ, Khalifa City, Raha, and Reef. Dubai options are Ranches, Em Living, maybe a nice apartment on the Palm. I need input on traffic, quality of life, etc from some of these places so we can make an informed decision.

There is one more big factor here: schools. We have a 5 year old in reception and I don't want to pay through the nose (worse than I am) for a decent school (American or Brit).

The move is to happen at the end of Jan.

Basically, is driving an hour each way worth it for the family?

Thanks all...

Aikman7981 Oct 23rd 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 8033571)
Check out this new development, we love it!

Right. I've searched high and low on this site and the rest of the internet and found a load data that isn't helpful. What I want can only be provided by someone living in one of the aforementioned developments right now. Threads from 6 mos ago are irrelevant.

Aikman7981 Oct 23rd 2009 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8033725)
I don't care for Abu Dhabi. Dubai has more social activities, better restaurants and malls, and the beaches are far better.

Stick to the south end of Dubai and you will be fine. The commute is annoying, but as ong as you aren't going onto the island itself it should stay just under 1 hour each way.

Look at the Springs. Can you pocket your housing allowance difference? If so rent a 3-bed for 135K and save the rest. If not, get a Meadows/Lakes villa. I have to say I was in the Lakes the other day and was surprised at how so many of the villas, all fairly new, were already showing signs of shoddy workmanship with ill-fitting doors and windows and cracks in the walls. But that's Dubai for you.

Ranches is a bit further north.

Other option is a glam dam apartment in the lower end of the Marina, just by the exit ramp for Abu.

We are looking at Springs but I'm concerned about traffic in and out of the development. When we went to look it seemed there were only 2 ways in or out. I don't mind the hour drive to AD, but if I spend 30 mins getting out of the development thats no good.

Hello.Kitty Oct 23rd 2009 7:06 am

well, as most people are aware by now, we're in the Marina and it's easy to access. Can't help on schools though.

The Palm strikes me as a bit of an odd choice - i don't know what it's like at peak-times, but there's only one way in and out.

Aikman7981 Oct 23rd 2009 7:41 am

Precisely. Intriguing due to beach access but I wondered about traffic.

Hello.Kitty Oct 23rd 2009 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8038565)
Precisely. Intriguing due to beach access but I wondered about traffic.

I think you'd have to go see the quality of the beach access.
Certainly the public beach at JBR is nothing short of foul, with cigarette butts, ring-pulls and all kids of junk just left there. We always use one of the hotel's beaches and just have to buy a small alcoholic beverage to show willing... such a hard life!

Ethos83 Oct 23rd 2009 8:11 am

JBR's beaches can be nasty, but the public beaches in Jumeira and Umm Suqeim are very pleasant.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8038570)
I think you'd have to go see the quality of the beach access.
Certainly the public beach at JBR is nothing short of foul, with cigarette butts, ring-pulls and all kids of junk just left there. We always use one of the hotel's beaches and just have to buy a small alcoholic beverage to show willing... such a hard life!

Aikman7981 Oct 23rd 2009 1:31 pm

Beaches on the Palm looked nice according to my wife. She looked at some 3 beds in Tiara. If anyone lives on the palm I'd love to hear if there are traffic probs.

Timmy Molloy - London Boy Oct 23rd 2009 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 (Post 8039131)
Beaches on the Palm looked nice according to my wife. She looked at some 3 beds in Tiara. If anyone lives on the palm I'd love to hear if there are traffic probs.

the sand feels like gravel to me

Aikman7981 Oct 23rd 2009 5:41 pm

How does the traffic feel?

Blue Cat Oct 24th 2009 7:31 am

what is your budget and have you got a school place sorted out yet? do you want a villa or an apartment?

edited to say on a budget of 220k I would seriously look at the Lakes Development

kittycat1 Oct 24th 2009 12:21 pm

I was around the Lakes yesterday and thought it was far nicer than the palm, the palm seems over built and very little privacy for what you pay. I live in Tecom which is not far from the Lakes and the traffic is fine in the morning- I leave at half 6 though- by 8 its a bit of a bugger getting onto the SZR but once your on it the traffic is moving (as long as there are no accidents).

Schools I have no idea I'm afraid.