Where to live?

Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:04 pm
  #1  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Where to live?

Hello all...

My job is shifting from Al Ain to off island Abu Dhabi (Zayed Military City). We are weighing the pros and cons of staying off island AD or Dubai. The company expects my housing budget to be 220k or less all fees included. There's 4 of us so we're trying for a 3 bed.

Basically AD is limited to MBZ, Khalifa City, Raha, and Reef. Dubai options are Ranches, Em Living, maybe a nice apartment on the Palm. I need input on traffic, quality of life, etc from some of these places so we can make an informed decision.

There is one more big factor here: schools. We have a 5 year old in reception and I don't want to pay through the nose (worse than I am) for a decent school (American or Brit).

The move is to happen at the end of Jan.

Basically, is driving an hour each way worth it for the family?

Thanks all...
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:43 pm
  #2  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Does this thread have the plague?

I thought I'd get loads of responses in the vein of: Avoid (fill in development) because traffic is terrible.

Or: Have you considered _____, we just love it!
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:02 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Euc-'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 857
Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Check out this new development, we love it!
Euc- is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:20 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live?

I don't care for Abu Dhabi. Dubai has more social activities, better restaurants and malls, and the beaches are far better.

Stick to the south end of Dubai and you will be fine. The commute is annoying, but as ong as you aren't going onto the island itself it should stay just under 1 hour each way.

Look at the Springs. Can you pocket your housing allowance difference? If so rent a 3-bed for 135K and save the rest. If not, get a Meadows/Lakes villa. I have to say I was in the Lakes the other day and was surprised at how so many of the villas, all fairly new, were already showing signs of shoddy workmanship with ill-fitting doors and windows and cracks in the walls. But that's Dubai for you.

Ranches is a bit further north.

Other option is a glam dam apartment in the lower end of the Marina, just by the exit ramp for Abu.




Originally Posted by Aikman7981 View Post
Hello all...

My job is shifting from Al Ain to off island Abu Dhabi (Zayed Military City). We are weighing the pros and cons of staying off island AD or Dubai. The company expects my housing budget to be 220k or less all fees included. There's 4 of us so we're trying for a 3 bed.

Basically AD is limited to MBZ, Khalifa City, Raha, and Reef. Dubai options are Ranches, Em Living, maybe a nice apartment on the Palm. I need input on traffic, quality of life, etc from some of these places so we can make an informed decision.

There is one more big factor here: schools. We have a 5 year old in reception and I don't want to pay through the nose (worse than I am) for a decent school (American or Brit).

The move is to happen at the end of Jan.

Basically, is driving an hour each way worth it for the family?

Thanks all...
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:36 am
  #5  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Euc- View Post
Check out this new development, we love it!
Right. I've searched high and low on this site and the rest of the internet and found a load data that isn't helpful. What I want can only be provided by someone living in one of the aforementioned developments right now. Threads from 6 mos ago are irrelevant.
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 7:38 am
  #6  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
I don't care for Abu Dhabi. Dubai has more social activities, better restaurants and malls, and the beaches are far better.

Stick to the south end of Dubai and you will be fine. The commute is annoying, but as ong as you aren't going onto the island itself it should stay just under 1 hour each way.

Look at the Springs. Can you pocket your housing allowance difference? If so rent a 3-bed for 135K and save the rest. If not, get a Meadows/Lakes villa. I have to say I was in the Lakes the other day and was surprised at how so many of the villas, all fairly new, were already showing signs of shoddy workmanship with ill-fitting doors and windows and cracks in the walls. But that's Dubai for you.

Ranches is a bit further north.

Other option is a glam dam apartment in the lower end of the Marina, just by the exit ramp for Abu.
We are looking at Springs but I'm concerned about traffic in and out of the development. When we went to look it seemed there were only 2 ways in or out. I don't mind the hour drive to AD, but if I spend 30 mins getting out of the development thats no good.
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:06 am
  #7  
ex-expat
 
Hello.Kitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: in front of my computer - in sunny Sussex!
Posts: 2,162
Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

well, as most people are aware by now, we're in the Marina and it's easy to access. Can't help on schools though.

The Palm strikes me as a bit of an odd choice - i don't know what it's like at peak-times, but there's only one way in and out.
Hello.Kitty is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:41 am
  #8  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Precisely. Intriguing due to beach access but I wondered about traffic.
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:44 am
  #9  
ex-expat
 
Hello.Kitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: in front of my computer - in sunny Sussex!
Posts: 2,162
Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 View Post
Precisely. Intriguing due to beach access but I wondered about traffic.
I think you'd have to go see the quality of the beach access.
Certainly the public beach at JBR is nothing short of foul, with cigarette butts, ring-pulls and all kids of junk just left there. We always use one of the hotel's beaches and just have to buy a small alcoholic beverage to show willing... such a hard life!
Hello.Kitty is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 9:11 am
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live?

JBR's beaches can be nasty, but the public beaches in Jumeira and Umm Suqeim are very pleasant.

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post
I think you'd have to go see the quality of the beach access.
Certainly the public beach at JBR is nothing short of foul, with cigarette butts, ring-pulls and all kids of junk just left there. We always use one of the hotel's beaches and just have to buy a small alcoholic beverage to show willing... such a hard life!
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:31 pm
  #11  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

Beaches on the Palm looked nice according to my wife. She looked at some 3 beds in Tiara. If anyone lives on the palm I'd love to hear if there are traffic probs.
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:07 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Timmy Molloy - London Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Joobuy
Posts: 304
Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Aikman7981 View Post
Beaches on the Palm looked nice according to my wife. She looked at some 3 beds in Tiara. If anyone lives on the palm I'd love to hear if there are traffic probs.

the sand feels like gravel to me
Timmy Molloy - London Boy is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:41 pm
  #13  
Is not impressed...
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 258
Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Where to live?

How does the traffic feel?
Aikman7981 is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:31 am
  #14  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

what is your budget and have you got a school place sorted out yet? do you want a villa or an apartment?

edited to say on a budget of 220k I would seriously look at the Lakes Development
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2009, 1:21 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
kittycat1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,965
kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

I was around the Lakes yesterday and thought it was far nicer than the palm, the palm seems over built and very little privacy for what you pay. I live in Tecom which is not far from the Lakes and the traffic is fine in the morning- I leave at half 6 though- by 8 its a bit of a bugger getting onto the SZR but once your on it the traffic is moving (as long as there are no accidents).

Schools I have no idea I'm afraid.
kittycat1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.