Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What is your experience so far of Living in Riyadh?

What is your experience so far of Living in Riyadh?

Old Mar 19th 2024, 11:06 am
Just Joined

makster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is your experience so far of Living in Riyadh?

Hi Expat Family,

We are a family of 4 currently living in Bahrain (previously lived in Qatar for 5 years where we moved from London). I have received a managerial position job offer in Riyadh which is decent and I have done my research (based on threads here) and it seems financially I can have lifestyle/housing/schooling that I prefer.

My question is for other expats who moved to Riyadh, how has the experience been so far? Was it a good decision to move to Riyadh? what was the main difference or cultural shock? Pros and cons especially from family/kids perspective. Would really like to hear from expats who moved from UAE/Qatar/Bahrain.
Old Mar 19th 2024, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is your experience so far of Living in Riyadh?

Riyadh is a transformed place from even a couple of years ago. Lots of things to see and do, and in many ways an improvement from Qatar. Accommodation is expensive, and traffic can be horrific so choose locations wisely as some junctions can have you stuck for 30 minutes. If you can get past the lack of easy access to alcohol, you'll be fine. Schooling is in high demand so make sure you can get a place at the school you want in advance.
Old Mar 19th 2024, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

makster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Fezzer, yeah I was there in Riyadh during Leap and traffic was horrendous. I heard trains are gonna be active sometime this year (limited stops) so hopefully that will help in reducing the traffic.

It is good to know there are lots of places. Would you be able to name a few? e.g. in Qatar we had lot of beaches (we didnt go much but they were there) and places such as marina, Lusail, and souq waqif for eating and hanging out. There were also theme parks and water parks in Qatar. What would you say are similar places in Riyadh?
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 11:51 am
Just Joined

clownshow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fezzer
Riyadh is a transformed place from even a couple of years ago. Lots of things to see and do, and in many ways an improvement from Qatar. Accommodation is expensive, and traffic can be horrific so choose locations wisely as some junctions can have you stuck for 30 minutes. If you can get past the lack of easy access to alcohol, you'll be fine. Schooling is in high demand so make sure you can get a place at the school you want in advance.
I disagree. Yes there is _more_ to do, but still not much. Malls, Blvd World, some bits for Riyadh Season plus you can now go to the cinema. That's about it. Coming from Bahrain or UAE it is a culture shock. The mindset is still way behind both and Saudisation isn't helping advance things (try get your half dozen eggs down the conveyor belt in the Tamimi without them being flung/scrambled/broken by the angry Saudi lady who resents having to work in a shop). Customer service is still a rarity in restuaurants and shops, despite prices being extorionate.

So manage expectations accordingly.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Djuro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clownshow
I disagree. Yes there is _more_ to do, but still not much. Malls, Blvd World, some bits for Riyadh Season plus you can now go to the cinema. That's about it. Coming from Bahrain or UAE it is a culture shock. The mindset is still way behind both and Saudisation isn't helping advance things (try get your half dozen eggs down the conveyor belt in the Tamimi without them being flung/scrambled/broken by the angry Saudi lady who resents having to work in a shop). Customer service is still a rarity in restuaurants and shops, despite prices being extorionate.

So manage expectations accordingly.
Second this. I went the other way round and life is so much easier. Traffic issue is not about congestion but about how they drive, i.e. horribly and super rudely. Customer service is non-existent. Nothing ever works properly. Getting basic day to day stuff is a nightmare. The fact that they are a bit more liberal and that there are a few copies of Dubai entertainment areas doesn’t change the fact that it is a frustrating place. I would never go back. Bahrain, Qatar and the UAE are another planet.
Old Apr 11th 2024, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Writing on behalf of my husband who has been living in Riyad for 18 months. He was previously in Kenya.

I don't find the people rude at all. In fact, if you learn even a couple of words in Arabic you are generally treated pretty warmly. They do drive very badly and the roads are congested and crazy. There probably isn't that much for families to do - unless organised through schools (my kids are older so I can't be sure of this). You generally do have to make your own entertainment. That said, all the people I know who have been there longer comment on the changes and improvements from only a couple of years ago.

Hope that helps a bit!