Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What is Oman like?

What is Oman like?

Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:23 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Oman like?

Wow. Must be construction or entertainment then. Ah well.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:26 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

One thing y'all may want to watch out for is what happens when HM passes away. It may be smooth transition, it is unlikely to be. I've Brit friends married to Omani ladies and none of them keep their wealth in country, just in case.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Expatriate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Wow. Must be construction or entertainment then. Ah well.
Are you suggesting packages in construction industry are not below average?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
One thing y'all may want to watch out for is what happens when HM passes away. It may be smooth transition, it is unlikely to be. I've Brit friends married to Omani ladies and none of them keep their wealth in country, just in case.
This is a very good point actually!
Old Oct 25th 2014, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

My summary is that you cannot compare Doha or Dubai to Muscat. UAE and Qatar are building Disney worlds in the desert. In the case of Qatar with no conceivable reason or objective. Oman is country with a long history which is developing to serve its indigenous population. Go to Qatar to make money and drink yourself stupid at the Friday brunch.
Oman less money more culture, but not so much - it is a mountainous desert.
Personally I am finding working in Oman far more frustrating then any other country in the GCC. Because of fear from the state and internal audits no one in the Oman public sector can make any decision. Working life depends on your age and seniority. If you are coming in at a senior level in a client facing role with public bodies then this is the worst place in the GCC.
Old Nov 1st 2014, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Dear all,

Thanks to all of you for guidance..All the comments were v helpful..

now I have another question..Please!

This company has emailed me after interviewing me and asked to send them my attested educational docs along with passport copy & employment certificate from my current employer...

Normally, after interview companies in UK send a conditional offer & once the candidate accepts this offer they do their reference checks etc. was wondering why do they need my employment certificate at this stage before even offering me a job?? I am obviously reluctant in sending any cert from current employer before getting an offer..please can anyone guide me in this regard??

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:12 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expatriate
Dear all,

This company has emailed me after interviewing me and asked to send them my attested educational docs along with passport copy & employment certificate from my current employer...

Normally, after interview companies in UK send a conditional offer & once the candidate accepts this offer they do their reference checks etc. was wondering why do they need my employment certificate at this stage before even offering me a job?? I am obviously reluctant in sending any cert from current employer before getting an offer..please can anyone guide me in this regard??

Thanks
Some companies do that to verified your documents .
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

well..the ruling elites in Oman (Including HM) are originally from Zanzibar off coast Tanzania, that would be East Africa

perhaps that says alot about racial mixing there.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Expatriate
Dear all,

Thanks
The company I am working with operates this way. They have held some candidates documents for over 5 months without getting their visas and employment contracts sorted out. In the meantime they cannot get a job anywhere else.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm here through a inter company transfer so not sure exactly how this works here but from the sounds of it, I would be very careful about messing with the current employer before even accepting an offer. And strictly speaking an employer can't demand for attested docs prior to offering a job.

I would certainly get back to them and politely ask them the reason and clarification before proceeding and if possible find a bit more about the company from sources on the ground..