Reload this Page >

What is Oman like?

What is Oman like?

Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Expatriate is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink What is Oman like?

Hello all,

I have been selected for an interview for a job in Oman (Muscat to be precise) - was just wondering if someone could let me know how is it like to live in Oman (cost of living, culture, restrictions, healthcare, schools etc)?

Also, I am not quite sure what to say when I am asked this famous "salary expectation" question? What should be considered as a competitive salary for an engineering professional with 10 plus years of experience?

I have googled / searched a lot of websites, but could not figure out much about the salary package question?

Please note that I am married with a child who will be going to school next year.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: What is Oman like?

I have been in Oman for only two months and from my limited view on things I can give you 10 positive and 10 negative thinks about Oman, as follows:

POSITIVE

1. The natural scenery is beautiful
2. The Omani Citizens are the most welcoming folk from all the GCC States.
3. The weather is slightly better than the Gulf.
4. Traffic is not so bad.
5. Parking is not so bad.
6. Wonderful shopping opportunities for local crafts.
7. Nice Hotels to go for weekend breaks.
8. Much Less stressful life than in the Gulf States
9. Opportunities to interact with the Local Population.
10. Great Omani food.

NEGATIVE

1. Slightly more expensive than other GCC States.
2. Visas more complicated
3. Rules related to expatriates status are prone to sudden changes.
4. Official Permits take longer to do.
5. Lesser availability to special items and food stuffs.
6. Prone to sudden traffic jams.
7. Lesser availability of smaller round the corner grocer shops
8. Lesser availability of bookshops.
9. Large spread out country.
10. Expensive education.

Having said all that I ahve only been here for a couple of months, and I still like it a lot. For me the main thing is that I have a much less stressful life here and I am still getting used to the R.O. (the currency)

I also have a child and my family is yet to come here, but I feel that education will be a problem.

Last edited by Debowing; Oct 15th 2014 at 5:08 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking advantage of this post.
Im in conversations for a position in oman. I just discovered it would pay pretty much what im making in qatar. Which is not so exhuberant.
Ive only been 8 months in Doha, and I would be more excited if the pay was above. but since is almost the same I have doubts.

For the same money Qatar or Oman? Tic Toc
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Dear Debowing,

Thanks very much for your detailed analysis - very much appreciated!

I was actually compelled to ask questions about Oman as I was unable to find a proper overview of Oman..you have summarised concisely the pros & cons..thanks again!

Would it be poss to shed some light on salary package as well please? I have heard as an expat you are likely to get accom + kids schooling + flight back on top of your base salary..still unsure what I should ask for? Any ball park figure would really be helpful..

Cheers
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Dear Venezuelan007,

Sure, you can utilise this post for Oman related info!

Just wondering..why would you be interested in moving to Oman despite the fact that you are not getting a pay rise / additional benefits?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been to Oman once, a couple of years ago ( Muscat ) and really liked it. If I was offered a job there on the same money I'm on here ( KSA), I'd move.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
If I was offered a job there on the same money I'm on here ( KSA), I'd move.
Surely anyone would move anywhere else for the same money rather than stay in that hole.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:00 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I've just left after 6 years.
Schools are ok, but limited number so places are scarcer than rest of GCC!
It's different. The people, expats and local, are different to rest of UAE. Far less about the bling and brunches and more about family, camping, desert and sea.
We loved it there.
It is hotter than UAE.
You will need around 1200 per month housing allowances, flights home, medical, schooling all paid for, plus in my opinion a minimum salary of 3000 OMR per month take home to have a really enjoyable lifestyle.
You can certainly survive on less but it won't be fun.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Surely anyone would move anywhere else for the same money rather than stay in that hole.
Probably.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I've just left after 6 years.
Schools are ok, but limited number so places are scarcer than rest of GCC!
It's different. The people, expats and local, are different to rest of UAE. Far less about the bling and brunches and more about family, camping, desert and sea.
We loved it there.
It is hotter than UAE.
You will need around 1200 per month housing allowances, flights home, medical, schooling all paid for, plus in my opinion a minimum salary of 3000 OMR per month take home to have a really enjoyable lifestyle.
You can certainly survive on less but it won't be fun.
Thanks OriginalSunshine! So, you are suggesting 3000 OMR per month on top of housing, flights, medical, schooling should be a package that I set as my target! Lets see how I get on with my interview..

I have received a good feedbck of Oman on this forum and from elsewhere (other sites etc).

Please feel free to give more analysis of your experience in Oman..please!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I've only been to Oman once, a couple of years ago ( Muscat ) and really liked it. If I was offered a job there on the same money I'm on here ( KSA), I'd move.
Yes, KSA does not seem to be a great place to live..as per my research!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

For someone settled in Qatar, if the salary and benefits are the same I don't think it's worth moving, because it takes six months or so to settle in.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:56 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

No - that's not at target. That's what you need as a sole earner to have a nice life.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
No - that's not at target. That's what you need as a sole earner to have a nice life.
Thanks very much for your guidance!! I understand now..this figure is a min. you require to have a good life...the higher the better anyway..

I intend to get them to make me an offer...first..and then start to nego.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Also one more point I thought about, although I can't say if it is positive or negative:
Many Many Barber shops...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.