Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What does Dubai mean to you?

What does Dubai mean to you?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Rosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant futureRosebud has a brilliant future
Default Re: What does Dubai mean to you?

Originally Posted by captainflack
Like the sun, like having the pool and the beach. Barbecues are great. Like having a 4x4 and being able to fuel it without a mortgage. Like not paying tax.

Don't like the half-assed way of doing things, shoddy standards of everything, terrible driving and attitude of some people, people's bad manners (pushing into queues), being a second class citizen in a country that would be a toasted pile of sand without the brains and hard work of the expats.

In the end, it's a place to live. Given the choice, I'd sooner live in Florida or Portugal for sun, sand, sea. At least there you have rights and can have a bottle of wine with a meal. But business keeps me here for now.

I got really fed up with the 'everyone in the world is in awe of Dubai' brigade. They're not so smug now, although I still come across the odd 'Dubai will recover first because it is simply sooooper and smaaaashing and everyone in the world wishes they lived here'. Er.... the only people who say that are people who've never been to the first world. Compared to Lagos and Karachi, I am quite sure Dubai is lovely. But when it started to compare itself to Monaco.... aw come on.... does Monaco have labour camps?

Well, couldn't have put it better myself....... Dubai = House of cards, no culture, too arrogant....
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Like the sun, like having the pool and the beach. Barbecues are great. Like having a 4x4 and being able to fuel it without a mortgage. Like not paying tax.

Don't like the half-assed way of doing things, shoddy standards of everything, terrible driving and attitude of some people, people's bad manners (pushing into queues), being a second class citizen in a country that would be a toasted pile of sand without the brains and hard work of the expats.

In the end, it's a place to live. Given the choice, I'd sooner live in Florida or Portugal for sun, sand, sea. At least there you have rights and can have a bottle of wine with a meal. But business keeps me here for now.

I got really fed up with the 'everyone in the world is in awe of Dubai' brigade. They're not so smug now, although I still come across the odd 'Dubai will recover first because it is simply sooooper and smaaaashing and everyone in the world wishes they lived here'. Er.... the only people who say that are people who've never been to the first world. Compared to Lagos and Karachi, I am quite sure Dubai is lovely. But when it started to compare itself to Monaco.... aw come on.... does Monaco have labour camps?
thanks cap'n, you saved me the trouble of writing this..
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:36 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai can be what you make it, but then so can anywhere. I have a reasonably good life here; tax free salary, 95% housing paid for, contribution to school fees where Miss RK is very happy and doing well, job varied and interesting without major stress, Mrs RK has an easy life and is happy. Will stay for as long as I can on those terms.

Summer heat is a bitch, specially for riding, arrogance abounds at all levels, almost everything costs more than the same item elsewhere in the world, no long term-ness about the place - everything is today...

Yes, I'll stay for as long as I can on those terms...but would move tomorrow if an offer came up that was better all round.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

It's probably my least enjoyable overseas posting to date. Even Jeddah was better. I do like the mild winters but otherwise the place has few redeeming features.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
It's probably my least enjoyable overseas posting to date. Even Jeddah was better. I do like the mild winters but otherwise the place has few redeeming features.
you really are a miserable so and so..

enjoy life, your only here once..
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:57 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Auntie is putting the boot into Dubai today bigtime

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/fr...00/7981320.stm

Dubai has been busy hiring any PR goons they can find in London to help them deal with their image problems and all the bad news stories about the crashing economy. They're are going to need some goon reinforcements now.

Pretty sure when messrs Owen, Oliver, et al disown the Dubai projects they're paid $$$ to promote, the papers here won't comment.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Means sod all to me at the moment other than its a means to an end, if something better came up I would move tomorrow without hesitation.
yep
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

it means around 7-9GBP a pint.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:40 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Cons: Regulations and red tape, laws need institutional strengthening, Sharia law applying to wills, a bit too hot in summer.
Talking about wills, I was quoted 2700dhs to have one done, this seemed expensive to me, what is the average cost for a straight forward will here in Dubai and can anyone recommend someone please, thank you[/QUOTE]

what is the point of having one done here when it is hardly worth the paper it is written on? unless of course you own a business
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Compared with Manchester when I grew up it´s paradise...

Hardly any crime, no shoot-outs at gang funerals, not coming home having my teeth kicked out as a 12 y.o, not coming down the kitchen at winter noticing that the zink pipes are frozen etc etc.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed in Dubai for less than a year - and to me it was a place without a soul. I missed green colours and nature and being able to go for a walk.

(I was also pretty hacked off at the driving and work ethics I encountered)
(oh and the "standard" of finish in our flashy on the outside, crap on the inside flat on SZ Road!)

I've been following this forum as I could foresee what was going to happen with the property bubble when I was there and am interested to hear what is happening on the ground.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
, not coming home having my teeth kicked out as a 12 y.o,
You obviously don't have kids going to a school dominated by local boys.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:24 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot
Talking about wills, I was quoted 2700dhs to have one done, this seemed expensive to me, what is the average cost for a straight forward will here in Dubai and can anyone recommend someone please, thank you
what is the point of having one done here when it is hardly worth the paper it is written on? unless of course you own a business[/QUOTE]

I understand without one, there would be problems releasing any monies that were in the bank here to my next of kin
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:02 am
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

what is the point of having one done here when it is hardly worth the paper it is written on? unless of course you own a business
I understand without one, there would be problems releasing any monies that were in the bank here to my next of kin[/QUOTE]

just don't keep money in the bank here - keep in offshore account and then when you pop your clogs the mrs empties your account before she reports you dead!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:38 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Auntie is putting the boot into Dubai today bigtime

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/fr...00/7981320.stm

Dubai has been busy hiring any PR goons they can find in London to help them deal with their image problems and all the bad news stories about the crashing economy. They're are going to need some goon reinforcements now.

Pretty sure when messrs Owen, Oliver, et al disown the Dubai projects they're paid $$$ to promote, the papers here won't comment.
The URL says "Error 404; page not found"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.