Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What does Dubai mean to you?

What does Dubai mean to you?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:31 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What does Dubai mean to you?

Dubai is just a temporary stop for me, sort term 2-5 years. Despite the attractive salaries and packages on offer it just doesn't feel like a real city.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
The URL says "Error 404; page not found"
Try this one:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/fr...00/7986756.stm
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Home for me, got family and friends here, always been here will be here until i'm no longer here.
scotland is home home and will go back to die there at a minimum. Have always believed that home is where you lay your head at any given time and a bit of an irrelevant question and concept, maybe its because i have always been distant from extended family maybe not.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Home for me, got family and friends here, always been here will be here until i'm no longer here.
scotland is home home and will go back to die there at a minimum. Have always believed that home is where you lay your head at any given time and a bit of an irrelevant question and concept, maybe its because i have always been distant from extended family maybe not.
I guess Engand is home for me but out of the last 14 years I've spent 3 years there. My family have moved away from or home town and I doubt many of my old friends are there still.

Singapore is no more home than Dubai was. plan is to stay here 2years and then hopefully move to Aus or somewhere in Europe.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

I preferred the Dubai of old, say 20 or more years ago.

However I have lived here longer than anywhere else in the world so I guess it hasn't been too bad, though I do feel it's wearing a bit thin these days.

Hopefully can retire in a few years when the market recovers, if it ever does!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rowell
Cons: Regulations and red tape, laws need institutional strengthening, Sharia law applying to wills, a bit too hot in summer.
Talking about wills, I was quoted 2700dhs to have one done, this seemed expensive to me, what is the average cost for a straight forward will here in Dubai and can anyone recommend someone please, thank you[/QUOTE]

That's not too bad actually for a will...I know someone who might be able to quote you for less but regardless will probably do a better job.

N.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimcnorth
Compared with Manchester when I grew up it´s paradise...

Hardly any crime, no shoot-outs at gang funerals, not coming home having my teeth kicked out as a 12 y.o, not coming down the kitchen at winter noticing that the zink pipes are frozen etc etc.
Yeah but many a promising child has been spoiled by an easy childhood...better to suffer a little and overcome with a keen survival instinct than have it all handed to you on a plate like a lot of kids who grow up here.

N.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Yeah but many a promising child has been spoiled by an easy childhood...better to suffer a little and overcome with a keen survival instinct than have it all handed to you on a plate like a lot of kids who grow up here.

N.

Seeing the number of franchise drug dealers in my old area I reckon you might be right about the survival instincts as they all carry guns nowadays..

It´s crap really, not even in my youth getting a "franchise" was considered anything but a dead end. Now when I speak to the kids in the area it´s a career despite just paying £100 a day or so..
Old Apr 11th 2009, 1:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot
Talking about wills, I was quoted 2700dhs to have one done, this seemed expensive to me, what is the average cost for a straight forward will here in Dubai and can anyone recommend someone please, thank you

what is the point of having one done here when it is hardly worth the paper it is written on? unless of course you own a business

Because you write a Will in accordance with the laws of where you are domiciled, usually your home country. It can also be valid here.

As usual, so much nonsense talked about Wills. If you have dependents and/or assets then you should have one done. Cheapest isn't the best as many people ought to have more complex wills with trust provisions and you won't get it done properly if you pay peanuts.

PM me for info if anyone wants sensible and professional advice.

-

Last edited by Meow; Apr 11th 2009 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:25 am
Just Joined

shahz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zekliv
"Despite the bad sentiment related to cancelled projects, lost jobs and drop in real estate and tourism, Dubai is still a great place to live, work and play”. Do you agree?

For those of you sticking around through the crisis, what does Dubai mean to you?
Except weather.. rest is fine .. m thinking to buy an apartment in dubai~!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shahz
Except weather.. rest is fine .. m thinking to buy an apartment in dubai~!
lol be careful, you will have more Pm's from estate agents than you can shake a stick at!!
For what it is worth, I love Dubai, I have a nice life, work hard and play hard, I have good friends and right now can't imagine being anywhere else
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

shahz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
lol be careful, you will have more Pm's from estate agents than you can shake a stick at!!
For what it is worth, I love Dubai, I have a nice life, work hard and play hard, I have good friends and right now can't imagine being anywhere else
Oh ok! well how long ru living in dubai? which places do u like to hang around in uae?!!