Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What do you have to do to get a job around here?

What do you have to do to get a job around here?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

cmhannan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down What do you have to do to get a job around here?

I am at my wits end! I came here because my husband got a good job. In the UK I was a highly respected teacher, but here...nada!

My friends who live here and work as teachers all said that I would be 'instantly snapped up'. They said that there is a shortage good of teachers. Ha!

I have 15 years experience in the classroom, have been subject leader, have a Masters degree in TESL, have a proven track record at tertiary level (my recent A-Level cohort all got As and Bs)...and still nothing!!!

I have sent my cv to every college and even had quite a positive (I thought) interview at one college and I AM STILL UNEMPLOYED!!!

Is there somebody out there who will give me a job?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you have to do to get a job around here?

Been quite a few recent threads on schools and teachers...give them a search...
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you, but how do I do that? Have tried the 'search' and wound up in Australia. Can you direct me to a link?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmhannan
Thank you, but how do I do that? Have tried the 'search' and wound up in Australia. Can you direct me to a link?
click on search and then on advanced search. that will allow you the select the Middle East threads only.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

serach>advanced search

type your "key word"
choose the "middle east" option in search forums
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I am at my wits end! I came here because my husband got a good job. In the UK I was a highly respected teacher, but here...nada!

My friends who live here and work as teachers all said that I would be 'instantly snapped up'. They said that there is a shortage good of teachers. Ha!

I have 15 years experience in the classroom, have been subject leader, have a Masters degree in TESL, have a proven track record at tertiary level (my recent A-Level cohort all got As and Bs)...and still nothing!!!

I have sent my cv to every college and even had quite a positive (I thought) interview at one college and I AM STILL UNEMPLOYED!!!

Is there somebody out there who will give me a job?
From what I know of teaching standards in the UAE.......

.......... you're WAY overqualified.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Question Re: What do you have to do to get a job around here?

There seems to be some HR situation (I am guessing)

I felt in the interview that the teachers (who were interviewing) liked me and I went home very pleased. Initially, when I was phoned for the interview, I was told that they were very understaffed, so, given my experience, I was very optimistic, but I don't think I got past HR. Can anyone explain what's up with HR around here???
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I felt in the interview that the teachers (who were interviewing) liked me and I went home very pleased. Initially, when I was phoned for the interview, I was told that they were very understaffed, so, given my experience, I was very optimistic, but I don't think I got past HR. Can anyone explain what's up with HR around here???
Same as HR anywhere in the world in any industry - their job is (in their own eyes) to screen you OUT, not help you in.......

Contact a member of the teaching staff directly.

Or become a private tutor to one of the little minxes... er, I mean daughters of the Nahyan or Maktoum clans............

Good money, and classroom conditions are..... not bad...........
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the timing? Schools may have closed for the summer just after your interview. Come September, things usually pick up (although now you would have Ramadan to contend with - things usually go at a snail's pace).

Have you followed up your CV with a call? When you send a CV by fax, the office boy/messenger, sometimes, is the first person to see it - and he may just shred it without passing it on!

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

alexalexa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am not in the UAE yet but from researching in different forums I found out that many women here are teachers, some even without any education or experience in that field. However, I ONLY heard of women who work with kids and teenagers, nobody in college. Maybe it is more though to get into a college. Would you consider teaching children?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Send me a PM. I may be able to help.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

How do I send a pm?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

How do I send a pm?

Scroll up to top of page,look right: Private Messages.Click, then select 'admon' as recipient and fill in text.

Good luck with the job search
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Scroll up to top of page,look right: Private Messages.Click, then select 'admon' as recipient and fill in text.

Good luck with the job search
No no no, sweetpants..........

Click on Admon's name alongside his post, then click on "Send a private message to admon" and it pops up all filled in for you..........

Saves at least 1.37 secs...........
Old Sep 7th 2008, 4:14 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
No no no, sweetpants..........

Click on Admon's name alongside his post, then click on "Send a private message to admon" and it pops up all filled in for you..........

Saves at least 1.37 secs...........

tom ate to

tom at toe

Besides you are further away so there goes the 1.37secs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.