British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   What do you have to do to get a job around here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/what-do-you-have-do-get-job-around-here-559562/)

cmhannan Sep 4th 2008 11:49 pm

What do you have to do to get a job around here?

I am at my wits end! I came here because my husband got a good job. In the UK I was a highly respected teacher, but here...nada!

My friends who live here and work as teachers all said that I would be 'instantly snapped up'. They said that there is a shortage good of teachers. Ha!

I have 15 years experience in the classroom, have been subject leader, have a Masters degree in TESL, have a proven track record at tertiary level (my recent A-Level cohort all got As and Bs)...and still nothing!!!

I have sent my cv to every college and even had quite a positive (I thought) interview at one college and I AM STILL UNEMPLOYED!!!

Is there somebody out there who will give me a job?

Bob Sep 5th 2008 12:41 am

Re: What do you have to do to get a job around here?

Been quite a few recent threads on schools and teachers...give them a search...

cmhannan Sep 5th 2008 6:37 am

Thank you, but how do I do that? Have tried the 'search' and wound up in Australia. Can you direct me to a link?:blink:

Inselaffen Sep 5th 2008 6:45 am

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6751018)
Thank you, but how do I do that? Have tried the 'search' and wound up in Australia. Can you direct me to a link?:blink:

click on search and then on advanced search. that will allow you the select the Middle East threads only.

Foxes Sep 5th 2008 6:47 am

serach>advanced search

type your "key word"
choose the "middle east" option in search forums

The Dean Sep 5th 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6750346)
I am at my wits end! I came here because my husband got a good job. In the UK I was a highly respected teacher, but here...nada!

My friends who live here and work as teachers all said that I would be 'instantly snapped up'. They said that there is a shortage good of teachers. Ha!

I have 15 years experience in the classroom, have been subject leader, have a Masters degree in TESL, have a proven track record at tertiary level (my recent A-Level cohort all got As and Bs)...and still nothing!!!

I have sent my cv to every college and even had quite a positive (I thought) interview at one college and I AM STILL UNEMPLOYED!!!

Is there somebody out there who will give me a job?

From what I know of teaching standards in the UAE.......

.......... you're WAY overqualified.

cmhannan Sep 5th 2008 7:29 am

There seems to be some HR situation (I am guessing)

I felt in the interview that the teachers (who were interviewing) liked me and I went home very pleased. Initially, when I was phoned for the interview, I was told that they were very understaffed, so, given my experience, I was very optimistic, but I don't think I got past HR. Can anyone explain what's up with HR around here???

The Dean Sep 5th 2008 7:33 am

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6751161)

I felt in the interview that the teachers (who were interviewing) liked me and I went home very pleased. Initially, when I was phoned for the interview, I was told that they were very understaffed, so, given my experience, I was very optimistic, but I don't think I got past HR. Can anyone explain what's up with HR around here???

Same as HR anywhere in the world in any industry - their job is (in their own eyes) to screen you OUT, not help you in.......

Contact a member of the teaching staff directly.

Or become a private tutor to one of the little minxes... er, I mean daughters of the Nahyan or Maktoum clans............

Good money, and classroom conditions are..... not bad...........

IndieG Sep 5th 2008 9:17 am

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6751161)

Could be the timing? Schools may have closed for the summer just after your interview. Come September, things usually pick up (although now you would have Ramadan to contend with - things usually go at a snail's pace).

Have you followed up your CV with a call? When you send a CV by fax, the office boy/messenger, sometimes, is the first person to see it - and he may just shred it without passing it on!

Good luck!

alexalexa Sep 5th 2008 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6750346)

Hi,

I am not in the UAE yet but from researching in different forums I found out that many women here are teachers, some even without any education or experience in that field. However, I ONLY heard of women who work with kids and teenagers, nobody in college. Maybe it is more though to get into a college. Would you consider teaching children?

admon Sep 5th 2008 12:54 pm

Send me a PM. I may be able to help.

cmhannan Sep 6th 2008 7:50 am

How do I send a pm?

Eva Sep 6th 2008 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by cmhannan (Post 6754725)
How do I send a pm?

Scroll up to top of page,look right: Private Messages.Click, then select 'admon' as recipient and fill in text.

Good luck with the job search

The Dean Sep 7th 2008 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6755559)
Scroll up to top of page,look right: Private Messages.Click, then select 'admon' as recipient and fill in text.

Good luck with the job search

No no no, sweetpants..........

Click on Admon's name alongside his post, then click on "Send a private message to admon" and it pops up all filled in for you..........

Saves at least 1.37 secs...........

Eva Sep 7th 2008 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6758164)
No no no, sweetpants..........

Click on Admon's name alongside his post, then click on "Send a private message to admon" and it pops up all filled in for you..........

Saves at least 1.37 secs...........

tom ate to

tom at toe

Besides you are further away so there goes the 1.37secs!!!