Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What to do?? new job & life in Dubai - will it be worth it do you think???

What to do?? new job & life in Dubai - will it be worth it do you think???

Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

ZJCOOPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What to do?? new job & life in Dubai - will it be worth it do you think???

Hi there

Another "HELP" request I am afraid, and all you seem like a pretty helpful bunch so hopefully some one out there can help.

I am a 28 female living and working in london and currently going through the interview processes to move and work out in Dubai. I work in sales in Media and exhibitions etc. Roles include sales management etc and have been told i can get 16,000 - 18,000 uae.

I am trying to weigh up the benefits of high rent out there compared to living in the UK. It is about £500 plus £100 bills in london.

I dont know what other people would suggest but I have quite alot of debts to pay off about £700 (5k ued) a month, so if I am earning about 18000 uae a month, minus rent, bills, eating etc would I have enough to pay my debts and still live comfortably?

I was hoping to save more on top? or am I living in LA LA land!?!?!.................

I am looking to move out early July, or would it better after September?

Also if there is anyone out there the same as me and fancies a chat give me a Shout we may be able to swap ideas!?!

Thanks - undecisive Coops!
xxxx

Last edited by ZJCOOPS; Apr 24th 2008 at 10:31 pm. Reason: changing font
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:36 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What to do?? new job & life in Dubai - will it be worth it do you think???

Originally Posted by ZJCOOPS
Hi there

Another "HELP" request I am afraid, and all you seem like a pretty helpful bunch so hopefully some one out there can help.

I am a 28 female living and working in london and currently going through the interview processes to move and work out in Dubai. I work in sales in Media and exhibitions etc. Roles include sales management etc and have been told i can get 16,000 - 18,000 uae.

I am trying to weigh up the benefits of high rent out there compared to living in the UK. It is about £500 plus £100 bills in london.

I dont know what other people would suggest but I have quite alot of debts to pay off about £700 (5k ued) a month, so if I am earning about 18000 uae a month, minus rent, bills, eating etc would I have enough to pay my debts and still live comfortably?

I was hoping to save more on top? or am I living in LA LA land!?!?!.................

Also if there is anyone out there the same as me and fancies a chat give me a Shout we may be able to swap ideas!?!

xxxx
Some other 'singletons' on here reckon you can get by on the kind of money you are talking about.

No doubt they will chip in sometime tomorrow after sleeping off their hangovers
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do?? new job & life in Dubai - will it be worth it do you think???

it would be a struggle to say the least.

16k less 5k for debts - leaves you 11k a month - I would have to say no you wouldn't manage.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:56 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

If you got the maximum 18k per month *and* you found a room in a shared villa or apartment in a cheap area, then you'd be able to enjoy a fairly frugal life here. But don't expect to save more than a few hundred pounds a month, unless you really do live like a hermit, and your daily commute to work could easily be on the order of 2 hours each way.

If you plan to live in your own place, forget it; if the salaries you have been quoted are all-inclusive (meaning you have to pay your own accommodation costs out of them), it's just not worth your while moving.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 12:34 pm
dub
Forum Regular

dub is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you would find it difficult to manage on that salary with your debts and enjoy yourself.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:02 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

(Actually posted by Zannie):

Don't forget the AED to £ exchange rate is crap at the moment and can potentially get worse...

This will mean your bill payments back to the UK to pay your debts will cost more in AED for the same amount in Stirling.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 25th 2008 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:05 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

if you work in exhibitions - yes you may get 18K basic, but you will possibly pull in another 3-7K in bonus per month at some companies. Events and conferences are HUGE here - try IIR, IQPC, MEED, REED, Messe Frankfurt and a load of others....

The debt servicing will be a pain for you, but I do think 18K is not terrible by anymeans. It really can be done and still have a top time.

Half the people on here are in very different situations to you... cost it out against what you are comfortable with....

Hi there

xxxx
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can afford to live on those sort of levels.

I'm on a basic salary in that bracket and have been transferring between 700-1000 quid a month back to the UK.

I should be on a lot more than that but a large chunk of my earnings should be bonus based which doesnt look like its going to happen in the near future

the key to it is either sharing an apartment/villa or livig somehere like International City.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Never rely on any promises of an 'excellent annual bonus' and especially if your employer is using it to negotiate a lower monthly salary.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Never rely on any promises of an 'excellent annual bonus' and especially if your employer is using it to negotiate a lower monthly salary.
couldn't agree more, been there done that
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Autonomy
if you work in exhibitions - yes you may get 18K basic, but you will possibly pull in another 3-7K in bonus per month at some companies. Events and conferences are HUGE here - try IIR, IQPC, MEED, REED, Messe Frankfurt and a load of others....

The debt servicing will be a pain for you, but I do think 18K is not terrible by anymeans. It really can be done and still have a top time.

Half the people on here are in very different situations to you... cost it out against what you are comfortable with....
Hey guys - thanks to everyones advice, it still looks like a 50/50 on how comfortable i will be able to live, so the way forward is to go for interviews and see what the packages are like. I have two interviews next week with IIR and MEED. wish me luck and if any of you out there know any inside knowledge please let me know.

:0)
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

jamesdcooper is an unknown quantity at this point

hey..from one coops to another!!

im in a similar situation, i have just been offered a job in Dubai.. im looking to get out there July. Im gonna put another post on here.. as im needing some advice on where to live when im there..

have a look at www.dubizzle.com and it will give you an idea of how much to rent a room etc.. that should help.

good luck
Old Apr 28th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

good luck- i hope things work out for you.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jamesdcooper
hey..from one coops to another!!

im in a similar situation, i have just been offered a job in Dubai.. im looking to get out there July. Im gonna put another post on here.. as im needing some advice on where to live when im there..

have a look at www.dubizzle.com and it will give you an idea of how much to rent a room etc.. that should help.

good luck
Hi James

Hows it all going?? find out anything new about Dubai?
I have just been offered a job in Dubai too 19k plus bonus - first 30 days accommodation free, accommodation loan if i need it, 30 days hol and a flight a year.

What do you recon do you think that this is good?

I am just worried as accommodation is so expensive that I wont save any money (as have debts tp pay!)

Decisions decisions!

:0)
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:20 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been offered a job in Dubai too 19k plus bonus - first 30 days accommodation free, accommodation loan if i need it, 30 days hol and a flight a year.

What do you recon do you think that this is good?

I am just worried as accommodation is so expensive that I wont save any money (as have debts tp pay!)
People have said elsewhere that sharing would be around 5-6k a month, and it's certainly possible to live here on 8k a month (19 - 6 - 5 for your debt repayment). It'd depend in part what kind of lifestyle you wanted to live and how much you wanted to save, but not impossible...