Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attempting to shake hands with Emirates and other faux pas...........

Attempting to shake hands with Emirates and other faux pas...........

Old May 1st 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Attempting to shake hands with Emirates and other faux pas...........

Totally embarrassed myself today when meeting my new Emirate client and attempting to shake his hand.....apparently that's not done, me been a lady and all....... made me feel incredibly ignorant! Have any other ladies out there got any recommendations on other such faux pas to avoid?
Old May 1st 2008, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attempting to shake hands with Emirates and other faux pas...........

Yes, best not to pick your nose during meetings.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of lightRachatron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Attempting to shake hands with Emirates and other faux pas...........

Originally Posted by lionheart
Yes, best not to pick your nose during meetings.
is farting ok?
Old May 1st 2008, 8:20 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachatron
is farting ok?
yes, but wafting is still considered haram and technically you can be deported for un-invited methane distribution....
Old May 1st 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Autonomy
yes, but wafting is still considered haram and technically you can be deported for un-invited methane distribution....

Old May 1st 2008, 8:30 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

is farting ok?
yes but not when you are having sex

you will find some interesting bits on www.islamtoday.com handshakes are a no no, but greetings really depend on the person you are dealing with.

I deal with different nationalities and religions and have picked up various greetings and words and will use them depending on the indivudual.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Slingshot
yes but not when you are having sex

you will find some interesting bits on www.islamtoday.com handshakes are a no no, but greetings really depend on the person you are dealing with.

I deal with different nationalities and religions and have picked up various greetings and words and will use them depending on the indivudual.

hooray, my first sensible reply, thanks Slingshot - that looks really useful - its a whole new world out here....
Old May 1st 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

actually that website has given me the fear............
Old May 1st 2008, 8:49 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

hooray, my first sensible reply, thanks Slingshot - that looks really useful - its a whole new world out here....
I am not fully conversant if all the guidelines are practised here but it does give some good insight in to traditions and the like.
Old May 1st 2008, 8:50 pm
same shit different day

actually that website has given me the fear............
you have the fear? did you read the bit about masturbation
Old May 1st 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Slingshot
you have the fear? did you read the bit about masturbation

crikey! i'm starting to feel depressed myself!
Old May 1st 2008, 9:07 pm
same shit different day

crikey! i'm starting to feel depressed myself!
just have a wank lol
Old May 1st 2008, 9:12 pm