Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car would you buy?

What car would you buy?

Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car would you buy?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Lol. The thought of having a Jeep as a road car is laughable.
Have you driven one of the newer JK's with the Pentastar engine? I'm not by any means a great fan of the JK (as a TJ owner) as my mate got a JK when they first came out and they were uncomfortable (especially in the back), slow, unresponsive and generally just a bit...... shit...... BUT the newer ones (2013 on I think) are much better. They've sorted the interior and the engine is like night and day.

I do agree though that if you do a lot of mile a Jeep is not a great choice, but for short commutes and a weekend driver then why not?

Only problem with some of the Nissan's (as you've mentioned one), is room. I couldn't get the driver's seat to go far enough back in the old shape Pathfinder or I might have had that instead of the Explorer.
Hmmm, never noticed. I've driven the Xterra quite a few times on site and it's got some poke and is 'OK' offroad.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Have you driven one of the newer JK's with the Pentastar engine? I'm not by any means a great fan of the JK (as a TJ owner) as my mate got a JK when they first came out and they were uncomfortable (especially in the back), slow, unresponsive and generally just a bit...... shit...... BUT the newer ones (2013 on I think) are much better. They've sorted the interior and the engine is like night and day.

I do agree though that if you do a lot of mile a Jeep is not a great choice, but for short commutes and a weekend driver then why not?

Hmmm, never noticed. I've driven the Xterra quite a few times on site and it's got some poke and is 'OK' offroad.
I learnt to drive in a YJ (I've just googled this to look cool).
It was hard ****ing work and whilst it's old, my mate out here had a JK but probably before the refresh. He sold his normal car for it and never went offroad, rendering the manual gearbox a total ball ache and the loud, uncomfortable rides to Abu Dhabi and back an utter shit show.

That's just my opinion though.

The Xterra - no idea, but the Pathfinder's bigger and I didn't fit
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I learnt to drive in a YJ (I've just googled this to look cool).
Target hit - mega cool!!

They finished making the YJ in 96/97...... I thought you were a young pup!?!

my mate out here had a JK but probably before the refresh. He sold his normal car for it and never went offroad, rendering the manual gearbox a total ball ache and the loud, uncomfortable rides to Abu Dhabi and back an utter shit show.
Yeah that does sound shittusmaximus!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately the nearly new Pajero from the guy at work is now sold. He put it on the intranet a week ago and I only just noticed it. Shame.

This one is advertised as a Pajero Sport but looks like a standard Pajero to me: https://abudhabi.dubizzle.com/motors...-option-p-3-2/

Another question on the Pajero... I'd much rather get the 3.8l as the 3.5l looks very slow in the performance figures (0-60 in 13 seconds ). But there aren't many about. Most seem to be the 3.5. Is the 3.5 OK for motorway trips and local commuting - or will the lack of power be very noticeable.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Target hit - mega cool!!

They finished making the YJ in 96/97...... I thought you were a young pup!?!
It was my Dad's 1995 Wrangler.
When he retired it moved to the house in Greece.
When I was 16/17 we used to go driving in it. Best thing I ever did, no technical / maneuvre stuff, just out on the roads learning how to control a car. Only thing he did make me do was forward and reverse hill starts in low range, off road on stupid gradients. Great fun.

We used to take it to the beach, would get full of shit. Take the radio out and hose the whole thing down. He gave it to the guy who painted his house and did the tiling as a bonus / thanks. God I loved that car.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Unfortunately the nearly new Pajero from the guy at work is now sold. He put it on the intranet a week ago and I only just noticed it. Shame.

This one is advertised as a Pajero Sport but looks like a standard Pajero to me: https://abudhabi.dubizzle.com/motors...-option-p-3-2/

Another question on the Pajero... I'd much rather get the 3.8l as the 3.5l looks very slow in the performance figures (0-60 in 13 seconds ). But there aren't many about. Most seem to be the 3.5. Is the 3.5 OK for motorway trips and local commuting - or will the lack of power be very noticeable.

Don't buy the 3.5
It's not a sport. It's frog face a full paj.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...but the Pathfinder's bigger and I didn't fit
Fat bastard
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Fat bastard
Tried breathing in, but made no difference.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

So kinda ignoring the fact that the Wrangler is probably the most accomplished offroad (in standard trim) in its class....

Admittedly not the best on road, although the Pentastar engines are a lot lot lot lot better...... than the shite they had in the earlier JK Wranglers, in fact they're actually an excellent engine.
I had a JK Wrangler, the earlier version with the 4L V6. Sold it after 6 months, kept breaking down. ( Just Empty Every Pocket ) . Great for add ons and accessories, and look super cool, but no where near as robust and reliable as they should be.

I stand by my own logic - serious off roading has to Japanese. If I was buying now for off road adventures, I'd probably go with the older shape Patrol.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

After I sold the JK Wrangler, I got an Xterra, with a manual box, locking rear diff. Great for off road stuff. Not as many bangles and baubles available though as there is for the JK.

Great thing about the JK was that you could fully topless.

Last edited by Bob; Apr 10th 2017 at 9:40 pm. Reason: fixing quote
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

It was my Dad's 1995 Wrangler.
When he retired it moved to the house in Greece.
When I was 16/17 we used to go driving in it. Best thing I ever did, no technical / maneuvre stuff, just out on the roads learning how to control a car. Only thing he did make me do was forward and reverse hill starts in low range, off road on stupid gradients. Great fun.

We used to take it to the beach, would get full of shit. Take the radio out and hose the whole thing down. He gave it to the guy who painted his house and did the tiling as a bonus / thanks. God I loved that car.
The old ones (YJ & TJ's) really are bullet proof. I used to thrash about the country as a kid too. I lived in the middle of butt**** nowhere and bouht a old mini for a 100 quid. Used to take it down all the mountain and quarry roads. Tought myself 'J' turns, handbraking between cones etc etc. Awesome fun.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Don't buy the 3.5
It's not a sport. It's frog face a full paj.
Yup. A GLS, not a Sport.

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
I had a JK Wrangler, the earlier version with the 4L V6. Sold it after 6 months, kept breaking down. ( Just Empty Every Pocket ) . Great for add ons and accessories, and look super cool, but no where near as robust and reliable as they should be.

I stand by my own logic - serious off roading has to Japanese. If I was buying now for off road adventures, I'd probably go with the older shape Patrol.
The early JK's really were dogshit.

You're logic is flawed tho. My old TJ used to embarrass my mates 4.8 short wheelbase manual Supersport Patrol in the dunes. The gearing ratios are all wrong in standard Spec. Upgrade the power and they start to be good.

For a purely offroad toy, in terms of performance and bang for your buck you can't beat the pre JK manual Wranglers. Cheap, bomb proof, hugely tweakable, a proper ladder chassis, big poke & light weight.

Mine is fully stripped out apart from 2 Recaro's. All the extra weight removed. It's rare I even need to air down the 12.5'' wide tyres....

She does enjoy fuel though! 250 km max to a tank! I do have quite a lot of engine mods tho.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

The old ones (YJ & TJ's) really are bullet proof. I used to thrash about the country as a kid too. I lived in the middle of butt**** nowhere and bouht a old mini for a 100 quid. Used to take it down all the mountain and quarry roads. Tought myself 'J' turns, handbraking between cones etc etc. Awesome fun.
Your man points are ****ing huge.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your man points are ****ing huge.
I've been quietly waiting for that day when I have need to pull off a 'J" turn in the middle of a crowded street to escape some baddies..... Surely someday soon!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

I've been quietly waiting for that day when I have need to pull off a 'J" turn in the middle of a crowded street to escape some baddies..... Surely someday soon!
It's worthwhile training. You never know when you might be in a race for a space at Dubai Mall on a Friday night. J turn to face the right way, then slide into a spot. Lovely.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's worthwhile training. You never know when you might be in a race for a space at Dubai Mall on a Friday night. J turn to face the right way, then slide into a spot. Lovely.
You wouldn't find me in Dubai Mall on a Friday night....... but I get your point. How about outside the shwarma shop by the mosque right after evening prayer time!

Boom, I'm on it!

"Three shwarmas, no salad, extra pickles and a coke please bisab! Back off Ahmed, wait your turn!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.