Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

What car would you buy?

What car would you buy?

Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car would you buy?

Originally Posted by mission
OP you are worse than most women when it comes to making a decision Buying a car can't be THIS frigging laborious

I’m normally pretty quick to make a decision.

I guess the reason I’m taking my time is that I actually really enjoy shopping for a car and reading up on them. I don’t actually need a car urgently as I walk to work, so I have the luxury of being able to take my time to choose.

The car I would buy if I could would be the F150. I’d buy it right now. But the wife says absolutely No. She doesn’t mind what it is as long as its not an F150.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the advice on here. I have learned that Japanese is best, and that for my needs a nearly new Pajero or Pathfinder is probably the best bet. If I found a top spec 3.8 Pajero at a sensible price I would buy it now. But anyway, I’ll keep a lazy eye on the new listings and see what pops up that whets my interest.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman

The car I would buy if I could would be the F150. RAPTOR I’d buy it right now.
Yeah...now we're talking.

(slightly edited )
Old Apr 21st 2017, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

If you're bored senseless of my car shopping please move on now. Looking for some more advice.

I took the advice of people on this group and said no to the lovely 2010 Audi Q7. The maintenance would have been v expensive and it would be hard to sell in 2 years when I want a newer car.

Today I saw a 2010 Pajero 3.8 top spec, priced at 35k (decent price). 120 000 km. It seems in very good condition, but the main downside is it has no service history. The guy takes it to ADNOC for oil changes but he bought it recently and didnt get any history with it. I've checked the car over (I used to do a lot of work on my own cars so am semi-knowledgeable) and it seems good. Oil is clean. Bushes and CV joints are good. Apart from lack of service history the other downside is that the tyres need replacing soon.

For 35k, and the 3.8l engine (not that many of them about) it seems like a good deal if it lasts me a couple of years?

The guy told me the insurance is new and is tranferable, so I wouldnt need to pay that. Is that possible? I've never heard of insurance being transferable.

Is there anything I need to be aware of to avoid being scammed? I've only bought in UK before so don't know the pitfalls of buying here.

My alternative is spend more and get a top spec 2014 model for 65k, but that one is the 3.5l. I think the lack of power would bug me.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Pajeros never need servicing.

But they do need a timing belt at about 150km. No doubt the battery will be dead, check the AC and that it will engage 4wd and diff lock.

I had literally no issues with mine despite some horrible abuse in the desert.

If you're really worried get a cheap paint checker and find which panels have been repainted. All cars here get repainted.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Pajeros must be a British thing, I've never seen one in the States, do they even sell them here.
I owned a Mitsubishi in the 80s, absolutely the worst car I ever owned, a terrible piece of junk.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Yes they did sell them in the states but it was called the Montero. My dad has one and after 14 years and 110000 miles he just had his first major repair bill. It was $500 usd!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Pajeros never need servicing.

But they do need a timing belt at about 150km. No doubt the battery will be dead, check the AC and that it will engage 4wd and diff lock.

I had literally no issues with mine despite some horrible abuse in the desert.

If you're really worried get a cheap paint checker and find which panels have been repainted. All cars here get repainted.
I had a SWB 2.5L diesel in Ireland, and absolutely ragged it for a few years. Overloaded it until the back axle developed hairline cracks, which I welded back together

Head gasket went one night and I fogged up an entire town driving through it, then the next morning it somehow self healed. Finally the central gearbox blew up so that only 2wd was working. it had 300,000 miles on it at this point.

I decided to get rid of it at that point and some farmer came and bought it. I still saw it driving on the roads 2 or 3 years later!

Last edited by weasel decentral; Apr 22nd 2017 at 4:58 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I had a SWB 2.5L diesel in Ireland, and absolutely ragged it for a few years. Overloaded it until the back axle developed hairline cracks, which I welded back together

Head gasket went one night and I fogged up an entire town driving through it, then the next morning it somehow self healed. Finally the central gearbox blew up so that only 2wd was working. it had 300,000 miles on it at this point.

I decided to get rid of it at that point and some farmer came and bought it. I still saw it driving on the roads 2 or 3 years later!
I've had a similar story. A few hours on the redline in the desert along with some almighty bangs i had all check lights come on. Engine light. Heat. ABS the lot.

I drove it home and considered the next steps. As if by magic when i started it the next day all was back to normal and the ABS was working again perfectly. It had self repaired.

I kept using it without any issues for months... Until I rolled it and had to say goodbye to it.

I bought mine at 6 years old with 130k and wrote it off with 180k on it. It had loads of life left in it.

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 22nd 2017 at 11:51 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Pajeros must be a British thing, I've never seen one in the States, do they even sell them here.
I owned a Mitsubishi in the 80s, absolutely the worst car I ever owned, a terrible piece of junk.
Pajero not a good word in the most common language in the states. Probably called a shogun or something.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:01 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Pajero not a good word in the most common language in the states. Probably called a shogun or something.
I thought that was an urban myth -- doesn't it mean "traveller" or "explorer"?

On that topic, I'd dearly like to know whether the Mitsubishi Starion was stallion mis-spelled or whether it was intentional. Apparently Mitsubishi state that its a contraction of "Star of Orion", but I have my doubts.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Si Senor, is true!

Personally I'd rather not drive a Mitsubishi w....r!
Though the name does seemingly fit a number who do.

BBC - Languages - Your Say - Weird words - Spanish - Mitsubishi, driven by ...
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

In the UAE it's dull, sensible types who drive the w...kers family men, boring mustachioed Indian middle managers, cautious young expats wanting something safe for the desert. And the mums on the school runs.

The FJ Cruiser, on the other hand...

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Though the name does seemingly fit a number who do.

BBC - Languages - Your Say - Weird words - Spanish - Mitsubishi, driven by ...
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well just to update you. I bought the 2010 Pajero today.

Took it to a mechanic today and he told me "These guys selling it are dodgy. They might have clocked it. Don't believe them that they don't have any paperwork" And he told me it needs 4 new tyres, has a worn rear differential and has a leaking head gasket. On top of the timing belt/water pump that I already new about.

Anyway, so I bought it and will get the work done. I knocked a decent chunk of the price. If it last 2 years and I can then sell it on, I'll be happy. And as it's already not new I won't feel guilty throwing it over some dunes.

Wish me luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all

Took it to a mechanic today and he told me "These guys selling it are dodgy. They might have clocked it. Don't believe them that they don't have any paperwork" And he told me it needs 4 new tyres, has a worn rear differential and has a leaking head gasket. On top of the timing belt/water pump that I already new about.

Anyway, so I bought it and will get the work done. I knocked a decent chunk of the price. If it last 2 years and I can then sell it on, I'll be happy. And as it's already not new I won't feel guilty throwing it over some dunes.

Wish me luck.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

We are shocked

Millhouse will be pleased at predicting the inevitable

Wish me luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.