Welcome To Dubai!

Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome To Dubai!

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Is it really that much better back home? My 18-year old son playing football with his mates at lunchtime yesterday, one kid goes down screaming in agony--they thought he was taking the piss at first, only to discover his kneecap at the back and not the front. After numerous 999 calls--"Is he breathing? Yes? OK, we're on our way"--took 1 full hour for the amublance to arrive, but only with the driver, so my son and his friends had to help lift the kid onto the stretcher. And last weekend son's friend got jumped by some locals, luckily the ground broke his fall and his nose; he's now on bail, can't go to the planned 18th birthday piss-up in Edinburgh because hte reporting officer is on holiday and nothing can be done till she returns next week.

OK, minor incidents, but would you feel safer on the piss in Dubai / AD or in Leeds, Bradford, Glasgow, London etc etc?

"These people will never change." Trouble is its changing in the UK, and all for the worse.
I didn't say it was better in the UK , i also agree it has many problems , but i'll take my chance with the British criminal justice system against this lot here every day of the week mate.

To answer your last point i usually don't feel threatened anywhere i go on the piss.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
To answer your last point i usually don't feel threatened anywhere i go on the piss.
Thought this might interest you.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100316...b-6323e80.html
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Man Above The Law is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lionheart
Don't be stupid. France is infinitely more liberal than the UAE as you know perfectly well. As for your earlier comment about kissing, very few western tourists are informed about such medieval laws before travelling. Are they expected to read the rules and regulations of every country they visit? Personally I find heterosexual kissing much less offensive than the constant hand-holding and kissing I see between men here, but then I do not make the rules.
Not reading about laws and regulations of any country before you visit it is what i call the common stupidity (googling for days about apartments in Dubai or jobs without even trying to know the country that you are going to live during the coming 3 or more years rules is STUPIDITY).

In Italy and Spain it isn't weird to see men kissing each others and the same thing for Asian, African and Latin American countries and about holding hands there is nothing wrong with it (as long as there are no faggots here I mean Emarati one!...Thanks God)

Note: In 1971 Constitution agreed by the Rulers of the Emirates provided that the Supreme Council of Rulers shall be the highest legislative authority in the UAE - which means French laws are older than UAE laws (so which one are medieval laws)
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Think I'll wear my Israeli flag T-Shirt next time I come into Dubai airport...
or maybe the one with that Danish cartoon on it.....
Everyone can talk but I bet you can't do it (I bet you 10k Pound and I'm serious)
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Muslims in France have infinitely more rights than French in UAE. For one, France actually has human rights, grant citizenship and a justice system that actually seeks justice.

Muslims can wear scarves in public , private and in private schools, just not in Public schools because the state is officially secular. Muslims can build mosques ,organize and protest in France. Can the French even attend public UAE schools?

So your comparison is not a comparison at all.How anyone can even question who is more Liberal, France or UAE is just astonishing.
Muslims can go to French school simply because they are French not Emarati. In addition who want to attend public Emarati school (it is in arabic and no French is interested to attend it). And about building mosques Muslims in Frence who are between 10% - 15 % can hardly get the permission to build mosque and there is a double-standard: long-term leases are only being challenged when they are for mosques. Whereas here in UAE Churches are more than needed (Alot of Churches although no Emarati is Christian).

According to French laws muslims women are prohibited to wear veil in public school ONLY but again French law is a double standard and contradictory when it comes to Islam (Please see the links below).

France's PM says man with Islamic veil 'burqa' wife has no place in France
http://www.france24.com/en/20100203-...o-place-france

France refuses citizenship over Muslim woman's dress (This time the woman can't get the citizenship)
http://timescorrespondents.typepad.c...e-refuses.html

And many comments against muslims by ministers.

Opposition politicians from the left denounced the comments by the minister for families, Nadine Morano

"We are not putting young Muslims on trial. I respect their situation. What I want is for them to feel French because they are French," she said in a recording played on French radio.

"I want them to love France when they live here, to find work and not to speak in slang," she said, adding: "They shouldn't put their caps on back to front."

AFTER ALL I CAN SEE HOW LIBERAL IS FRANCE.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Man Above The Law
Muslims can go to French school simply because they are French not Emarati. In addition who want to attend public Emarati school (it is in arabic and no French is interested to attend it). And about building mosques Muslims in Frence who are between 10% - 15 % can hardly get the permission to build mosque and there is a double-standard: long-term leases are only being challenged when they are for mosques. Whereas here in UAE Churches are more than needed (Alot of Churches although no Emarati is Christian).
Re. Highlighted
Ofcourse France grants non ethnic 'French' citizenship because they are liberal. If they were as xenophobic/racist as the Gulf, they would never do such a thing. This is part of my point about Muslims attending French public schools, that they can do this because France is liberal enough to grant citizenship to non Catholics/Christians and those whos ethnic origin is from outside Europe.

Mosques in France are still allowed to be built and be *permanent*, unlike the Emirates where they are just temporary. Emiratis know that building Churches in UAE does not threaten the Emirati Cultural hegemony as the congregates are expats who have to leave when the time comes . If UAE had any sizeable permanent Christian community, Emiratis would not be soo tolerant of Churches.

St.Joseph's church in Abu Dhabi used to be located in the Corniche but was later demolished because the locals and or Sheiks could accept a Christian building having such good real estate. The Church was moved to the interior, off Airport road. The new Church was built right next to St.Andrews church. The large 4 minaret Sheik Mohammed Bin Zayed Mosque was built later, and it slotted in between St.Josephs and St.Andrews. Locals did not like that churches were located soo near a Mosque. If it wasn't influence by the clergy and European embassies, the churches may have had to move .

According to French laws muslims women are prohibited to wear veil in public school ONLY but again French law is a double standard and contradictory when it comes to Islam (Please see the links below).
What is contradictory? France is a secular republic and do not want overt religious symbolism in their public places.

France's PM says man with Islamic veil 'burqa' wife has no place in France
http://www.france24.com/en/20100203-...o-place-france
What is wrong with this? The Burqa is nothing but primitive male instinct to prevent the competition from eying females. Burqa is not even unanimous across Muslim cultures. France considers this a human rights issue, so does not want to see women treated in such a manner.

France refuses citizenship over Muslim woman's dress (This time the woman can't get the citizenship)
http://timescorrespondents.typepad.c...e-refuses.html
Does the Emirates even grant citizenship to locals/non Arabs in any meaningful numbers. Does the Emirates even grant citizenship to non Muslims. France is atleast granting citizenship to ethnically and culturally different persons, they only ask that you respect their secular society and human rights.

And many comments against muslims by ministers.
Unless you provide specific comments, can't comment on it.

Opposition politicians from the left denounced the comments by the minister for families, Nadine Morano

"We are not putting young Muslims on trial. I respect their situation. What I want is for them to feel French because they are French," she said in a recording played on French radio.

"I want them to love France when they live here, to find work and not to speak in slang," she said, adding: "They shouldn't put their caps on back to front."

AFTER ALL I CAN SEE HOW LIBERAL IS FRANCE.
The comment about speaking in slang and hat backwards is wrong and deserves criticism.

When the Emirates starts granting citizenship to ethnically and culturally different persons and more importantly does not demand that these people give up their culture, then we can talk about who is more liberal. The Emirates can't even treat migrant labourers like human beings and had no problem with child slave jockeyes from Africa and S Asia.

The very fact that France is against such primitive patriarchal attitudes/customs as the Burqa is precisely because they are liberal.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Man Above The Law
Everyone can talk but I bet you can't do it (I bet you 10k Pound and I'm serious)
Of course I can't do it! That's the point, not as liberal as the west.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:44 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This point about the UAE legislative body being formed in 1971 is ridiculous. Everyone knows the entire basis of the law is Shariah, which is definitely medieval.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Another addition to this:

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....703169807/1133

So better be careful what you're posting here in the forum, you never know who is reading and gets offended