British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Welcome To Dubai! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/welcome-dubai-659146/)

lionheart Mar 13th 2010 7:53 am

Welcome To Dubai!

The Dubai Government are seen to be behaving like a bunch of Medieval gremlins at a time when surely they need more Western tourists, not less...and what are Emirati children doing out of bed at 2am anyway? As for the usual "consuming alcohol" fine, why is the restaurant not fined for serving it? Sometimes this place really sucks.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/cr...dubai-1.595649

Beans-on-Toast Britain Mar 13th 2010 8:15 am

Re: Welcome To Dubai!

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8416982)
As for the usual "consuming alcohol" fine, why is the restaurant not fined for serving it? Sometimes this place really sucks.

As someone about to move to the 'desert paradise', I'm just gonna sit back and watch apartment rentals fall even further. Bullsh!t like this nearly put me off coming in the first place, and it will be a deciding factor for many in future.

But what’s the story with the alcohol? They sell it, so how come you can be prosecuted for being under the influence? I've been under the influence in Dubai when visiting, so does that make me a criminal already?

littlejimmy Mar 13th 2010 8:52 am

The Dubai Government are seen to be behaving like a bunch of Medieval gremlins at a time when surely they need more Western tourists, not less...and what are Emirati children doing out of bed at 2am anyway? As for the usual "consuming alcohol" fine, why is the restaurant not fined for serving it? Sometimes this place really sucks.

Mad. The young children in the region seem to be nocturnal and go to bed whenever they like.

Jeeper Mar 13th 2010 8:52 am

I actually agree the blame should be squarely on the person caught consuming rather than the place selling.

The bar has a licence to sell...and that's what it does.
Residents need a licence to consume...and all residents would be aware of this.

Can't pass the blame at all.

mission Mar 13th 2010 8:58 am

i didnt think any of the restaurants/eating joints along JBR had a liquor license???

In fact i remember when we went for dinner a few weeks ago, and i asked one of the waitresses (at the restaurant we eventually settled for) whether any of the restaurants along the walk served alcohol and she said nope - coz we were looking for a joint where we could have a drink or two with our food.

benzonar Mar 13th 2010 9:24 am

Could have happened in the Sofitel, they have alcohol there.

lionheart Mar 13th 2010 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8417049)
I actually agree the blame should be squarely on the person caught consuming rather than the place selling. The bar has a licence to sell...and that's what it does. Residents need a licence to consume...and all residents would be aware of this.
Can't pass the blame at all.

Ignorance is bliss! What you evidently fail to appreciate is that your Alcohol Licence only permits you to consume alcohol in the privacy of your own home, namely the residence declared on the application form. Anyone can be fined Dhs1,000 for drinking in a bar, whether they have a licence or not. Utterly ridiculous.

Jeeper Mar 13th 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8417129)
Ignorance is bliss! What you evidently fail to appreciate is that your Alcohol Licence only permits you to consume alcohol in the privacy of your own home, namely the residence declared on the application form. Anyone can be fined Dhs1,000 for drinking in a bar, whether they have a licence or not. Utterly ridiculous.

I choose not to bother with a licence anyway (I've never had one) - but yeah - didn't know it was only for drinking at home.

Even more of a waste of money then.

Bonny Boy Mar 13th 2010 12:20 pm

At least in Saudi and mostly elsewhere in the Gulf, you know the score.

Dubai is dangerous for expats in this regard, as it is far too easy think you are in a 'modern' country. Other than the gizmos, gadgets and shiny towers, you are not. Materially it may appear modern - socially, culturally and in terms of its financial and legal frameworks, it is not.

Dubai paints itself to be 'liberal', but it is only a thin veneer. You are a 'guest' worker - cause a problem, and home you go.

Come here, work, have a bit of fun, save your money and keep your head down.

Patsy Stoned Mar 13th 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8417129)

Not true.... As a resident in Dubai you need an alcohol license to consume alcohol in your house AND to have a drink in a licenced premises. The crime is not that you have a drink, the crime is that you cannot be drunk in public.....and because there is zero tolerance that technically means they can arrest you as you step outside the hotel/bar :)

Tourists do not need a license but they also cannot be drunk in public.

NorthernLad Mar 13th 2010 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8417349)
Not true.... As a resident in Dubai you need an alcohol license to consume alcohol in your house AND to have a drink in a licenced premises. The crime is not that you have a drink, the crime is that you cannot be drunk in public.....and because there is zero tolerance that technically means they can arrest you as you step outside the hotel/bar :)

Tourists do not need a license but they also cannot be drunk in public.

Yep - there was a case a few years ago when a British bloke was drunk in Bur Dubai bar. Police were called but let him off when he showed his license.

I am sure law states tourists can only drink in hotel where they are staying.

If you here long term I don't see why you wouldn't have a license - you should know how the system works (or rather doesn't) and having a license can save you pain (admittedly risk of ever been asked for it is small)

spart Mar 13th 2010 4:54 pm

Funny thing is, I had the same reaction. Oh - more brits caught doing the wrong thing, gaol time for not knowing the rules etc etc....WTF are those kids doing up at 2am??

Dilmun Mar 13th 2010 5:05 pm

And what is a local woman with such strict moral codes doing with her children in such place at such time?

Spying on people who are having fun in their lives?

Arcadia Mar 13th 2010 5:14 pm

It's ok to Show ''I know what you did last summer'' Horror flick at 12.30 in the Afternoon though(today), heads being hacked off etc, but god forbid kids should see two people showing affection.

Spugsy Mar 13th 2010 5:50 pm

yep that's just insane - so no-one bothers about bars jam packed full of chinese hookers, yet if you kiss someone on the cheek and have a beer you get deported?