Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

web design courses

web design courses

Old Sep 25th 2004, 8:11 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default web design courses

Can any one give any pointers on where to find a course on web design, its my aim to do an evening class and eventually work from home. I have done nursing since I left school so doing something very differant is gonna be a challenge! One I can rise to.

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:24 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Re: web design courses

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Can any one give any pointers on where to find a course on web design, its my aim to do an evening class and eventually work from home. I have done nursing since I left school so doing something very differant is gonna be a challenge! One I can rise to.

Cheers
Well hello Heart of Gold.

Web designing, eh? Well I am not sure if you want to 'study' it as a course at some uni in Dubai or did u mean an educational institute?

Uni wise, I would highly recommend mine: The American University in Dubai. I am aware of some online courses that they offer as well. You can take these courses online without even visiting the Uni campus. Not sure if web designing is one though. Give them a call on 04-399 9000 and ask to speak to the Registrar .Ask her about online courses and if they have web designing. They will be very helpful. I am sure.

You can look thru the website too for more info:
www.aud.edu

As for computer training institutes, you need to pick up a copy of the classifieds from either the Gulf News or Khaleej Times and look under 'education'. I am aware of just one: Power Sites. I think they are one of the best and even give you some sort of diploma at the end of the course.

Hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

-Face81

Last edited by Face81; Sep 25th 2004 at 12:28 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:42 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: web design courses

Cheers
Also... hmmmm does the name joseph.creative give any clues as to what sort of business I am in !!!! lol

ok.. web design courses can give you a good idea about how it works but it is all about the correct software as well. join some forum boards on macromedia.com etc etc.

PM me and we can work out getting a full list of URL'sand software etc etc so you can start working stuff out

Have you got a limewire account as well as that could be useful..

and also what system are you running at home, do you hav a scanner etc etc? also web design books as in the interface could be an idea..
Old Sep 25th 2004, 12:58 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
Also... hmmmm does the name joseph.creative give any clues as to what sort of business I am in !!!! lol
LOL! Joseph!!! I am so tempted... but better not cast your reputation into doubt
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:00 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
LOL! Joseph!!! I am so tempted... but better not cast your reputation into doubt
hold on... i had a reputation? !!!!
Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:08 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joseph.creative

ok.. web design courses can give you a good idea about how it works but it is all about the correct software as well. join some forum boards on macromedia.com etc etc.

PM me and we can work out getting a full list of URL'sand software etc etc so you can start working stuff out

Have you got a limewire account as well as that could be useful..

and also what system are you running at home, do you hav a scanner etc etc? also web design books as in the interface could be an idea..
Ooooooh.we all better mind our P's and Q's as we seem to have an expert in our midst......hahahahaha....and I am not refering to joe........ hahahahahahaha

ok no.....seriously Heart of Gold......Joe is an expert........flood his inbox with PM's on Web Design courses.....I know he has loads of time for that sort of thing. hehehe

-Face81
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:40 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
Ooooooh.we all better mind our P's and Q's as we seem to have an expert in our midst......hahahahaha....and I am not refering to joe........ hahahahahahaha

ok no.....seriously Heart of Gold......Joe is an expert........flood his inbox with PM's on Web Design courses.....I know he has loads of time for that sort of thing. hehehe

-Face81
Thanks guys
Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:18 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

No offense, but unless you are working in conjunction with a large corporation with many large accounts, web design isn't exactly the most lucrative private profession around here.

For example, we are currently having a 6 page website designed for our company (cargo airline). Price? 2000 dhs all inclusive (hosting, 1 year updates).

In the US, this website would cost upwards of 4 or 5,000 usd, but here, due to their being a glut of qualified web designers, the price is barely US $700
Old Sep 26th 2004, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by TA5
No offense, but unless you are working in conjunction with a large corporation with many large accounts, web design isn't exactly the most lucrative private profession around here.

For example, we are currently having a 6 page website designed for our company (cargo airline). Price? 2000 dhs all inclusive (hosting, 1 year updates).

In the US, this website would cost upwards of 4 or 5,000 usd, but here, due to their being a glut of qualified web designers, the price is barely US $700
None taken TA5 Its something that I want to do, so when I finally return to the Uk I shall be able to put wheels in motion.
Having done my line of work for 19 years, there is no call for it out here, unless your prepared to work long hours (No such thing as part time) and
have a maid ( I dont have one ) After a yr I wanna get of my butt and do something..
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:04 am
The 5th Amendment

None taken TA5 Its something that I want to do, so when I finally return to the Uk I shall be able to put wheels in motion.
Having done my line of work for 19 years, there is no call for it out here, unless your prepared to work long hours (No such thing as part time) and
have a maid ( I dont have one ) After a yr I wanna get of my butt and do something..

anywhere in the world you should be in an agency to kick it bigtime in the dosh.... can do ok doing freelance but the UK should be fine to do some decent work... ok will send a list of software soon...

and cheers for the idea face about flooding my inbox... 180 spam mails in 2 days onthe mail account!! so do not need that here as well! lol
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:58 pm
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Cheers
If you are looking for a part-time web design course, try:

Cambridge Institute in the Toshiba building next to the Burjuman Centre
The number is: 04 359 919 and ask for Santano. The course costs 1500 AED for 60 hours.

It comes highly recommended
Old Sep 28th 2004, 6:35 am
Just Joined

RAMver1.1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
You dont have to take a course for web designing, just pick up a book on HTML. Then download macromedia dreamweaver frm www.macromedia.com which is a web authoring tool. Go thru the help section which will guide you on a step by step basis to creating good web pages. Once you are confident, start creating dynamic pages with database backends. Feel free to contact me for any help.

Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
If you are looking for a part-time web design course, try:

Cambridge Institute in the Toshiba building next to the Burjuman Centre
The number is: 04 359 919 and ask for Santano. The course costs 1500 AED for 60 hours.

It comes highly recommended
Thanks CP, will call and find out more info
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 10:09 am
The 5th Amendment

Originally Posted by RAMver1.1
Hi,
You dont have to take a course for web designing, just pick up a book on HTML. Then download macromedia dreamweaver frm www.macromedia.com which is a web authoring tool. Go thru the help section which will guide you on a step by step basis to creating good web pages. Once you are confident, start creating dynamic pages with database backends. Feel free to contact me for any help.

and dowlading it from there will cost you a fortune. Also need illustrator, photshop, indesign and a lot of other stuff.

dynamci pages are not html. they are dhtml.

and also Flash!!! u need to include that in the arsenal as well...

dreamweaver is just a part of it then you need to know how to FTP etc etc
and database back ends are not basic. they are advanced. and are not usual to use. you mean content managemtn using software such as contribute.