Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Wages Protection System (UAE)

Wages Protection System (UAE)

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wages Protection System (UAE)

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me understand the WPS?

I've had a search around, but I'm still a little confused. This is from the Ministry of Labour:

The WPS applying mechanism is as below:

• The company shall open an account with one of the banks operating in
the country, in case it doesn’t have one upon joining the WPS system;
• The company shall enter into contract with a WPS agent that is
approved and authorized by the Central Bank of the UAE to provide this
service, be it a bank, bureau de change , or a financial institution;
• The employer shall issue instructions to its bank to transfer wages to
workers. Instructions shall be accompanied by a detailed wages list and
a copy of the list shall be sent to the agent.
• The WPS will send workers' details and wages as well as the salary
transfer instructions electronically to the Central Bank of the UAE, who
will then forward those details to the Ministry of Labour database in
order to make sure that the details received correspond with those
registered with the Ministry;
• The WPS will send the approved information to the appointed agent in
order to start paying the wages.

Why I'm confused - of the above points, the third point seems to indicate that the employer instructs the bank to make the payments.

The 4th point that the WPS (the 'agent') will send details to the Central Bank (where did they get this information?)

... and finally the last point, the WPS (is this the agent or Central Bank) will send approved information to the agent to start paying wages - but haven't these already been started via point 3?

Many thanks
M.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wages Protection System (UAE)

Desite WPS being the law, I don't know too many small companies that have yet implemented the system, which stinks of Big Brother to me.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Desite WPS being the law, I don't know too many small companies that have yet implemented the system, which stinks of Big Brother to me.
Maybe, but there are numerous companies who pay their employees late, often several month late, and this system is designed to ensure that people are paid on time.

-
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the apparent complexity, it seems to work ok in practice. We haven't done in yet, but its on our hit list for this year. One problem is finding a bank which can open and run an account for lower-paid workers which doesn't cost (or doesn't cost much)--at the bottom of the scale, AED100 pcm in charges is a lot (and for Millhouse, too, no doubt).

If it cuts out late payment of wages its a necessary pain. However, since most of the offenders are local companies, I just wonder what level of enforcement will be made.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Despite the apparent complexity, it seems to work ok in practice. We haven't done in yet, but its on our hit list for this year. One problem is finding a bank which can open and run an account for lower-paid workers which doesn't cost (or doesn't cost much)--at the bottom of the scale, AED100 pcm in charges is a lot (and for Millhouse, too, no doubt).

If it cuts out late payment of wages its a necessary pain. However, since most of the offenders are local companies, I just wonder what level of enforcement will be made.

too right, I refuse to pay any banking fees.