Visit to Dubai

Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

jean&john will become famous soon enoughjean&john will become famous soon enough
Default Visit to Dubai

My wife and I are doing a three day stop over in Dubai at the beginning of March and would like to know if anyone can advise me of what to see and do in 72 hrs.

Being of more mature years we are not into dune buggys or water parks.

We are staying at a hotel in the city area so if anyone can also recommend somewhere to eat and the best ways of getting about it would be very much appreciated.

Jean & John
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:13 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit to Dubai

Originally Posted by jean&john
My wife and I are doing a three day stop over in Dubai at the beginning of March and would like to know if anyone can advise me of what to see and do in 72 hrs.

Being of more mature years we are not into dune buggys or water parks.

We are staying at a hotel in the city area so if anyone can also recommend somewhere to eat and the best ways of getting about it would be very much appreciated.

Jean & John

which Hotel?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

definitely take the big bus tour...you can get on and off if you want...it includes admission to the dubai museum, and from there you can walk and get an abra across to the souk area...also, go to the madinat, it's a manmade souk but it's very popular and has got loads of bars and restaurants...and there's the new souk (al bahar) in old town, near to the burj dubai, which is also next to dubai mall, the newest (and i think the best) mall here, it's got an acquarium too...

the desert safari is good fun, suitable for all ages...book with someone like arabian adventures...if you're here on a thursday, then there is horse racing on at nad al sheba, which is worth going to see...

you'll need to get taxis to get round, but they are pretty cheap...

as for places to eat, tell us exactly where you are staying, there isn't a central area as such...

MM, xx
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jean&john will become famous soon enoughjean&john will become famous soon enough

We are booked into the Metropolitan Hotel Deira and will be there from Saturday to Monday.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:55 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

There is a pub quiz on monday night if your really really at a loose end
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
definitely take the big bus tour...you can get on and off if you want...it includes admission to the dubai museum, and from there you can walk and get an abra across to the souk area...also, go to the madinat, it's a manmade souk but it's very popular and has got loads of bars and restaurants...and there's the new souk (al bahar) in old town, near to the burj dubai, which is also next to dubai mall, the newest (and i think the best) mall here, it's got an acquarium too...

the desert safari is good fun, suitable for all ages...book with someone like arabian adventures...if you're here on a thursday, then there is horse racing on at nad al sheba, which is worth going to see...

you'll need to get taxis to get round, but they are pretty cheap...

as for places to eat, tell us exactly where you are staying, there isn't a central area as such...

MM, xx
I completely agree with everything the lovely lady has said - big bus is a must to see as much as possible in Dubai!! My sister and friend did it (20's) and they loved it, knew more about Dubai than i did and i was living there!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 11:54 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, and what's more the Big Bus Tour allows entry to the museum and various other places. I went on it with my mother-in-law and toddler, so couldn't do some of the stuff - more's the pity. The ticket is actually valid for 24h, so it may be worth seeing if you can start it around lunch-time one day and then go to the museum or something else the following morning. My daughter doesn't do early starts or late nights!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

manwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nice

better postpone your trip because the 'global financial/economic/monumental f**kup down turn' will have caused dubai to revert back into a sand dune covered ghost town.
if you still wish to come and find any lights on, please turn them off when you depart
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I sincerely doubt that many will agree with MM that Dubai Mall is the best in Dubai. Personally I think that Dubai Festival City and Mall of Emirates are much better. Dubai Mall is just typical of everything materialistic here, except perhaps that Japanese bookshop.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I sincerely doubt that many will agree with MM that Dubai Mall is the best in Dubai. Personally I think that Dubai Festival City and Mall of Emirates are much better. Dubai Mall is just typical of everything materialistic here, except perhaps that Japanese bookshop.
the bookshop is fantastic
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to give us some tips on what to see. I think the Big Bus sounds a must.

Jean & John
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:27 pm
W10

Spend some time walking around the old part of town if you can.

Bastikyia has some of the best old buildings (and a couple of good restaurants - including one very funny Emirati one) and a stroll down the creek to Bur Dubai will give you the chance to visit some of the museums.

As MM said, get an abra over to the gold and spice souqs.

As for Dubai Mall....its nothing short of appalling. The ONLY good thing about it is the Japanese bookshop.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard an evening Dhow cruise along the creek can be quite good fun. Some of them have live music as well. There are loads of companies that do them, like these: http://www.dhowcruisedubai.com or http://www.desertrangers.com/ They also do deep sea fishing, which might appeal more to hubby than you.

My favourite romantic places for dinner are Pier Chic and Villa Beach. Also it might be worth booking yourself in for brunch at Al Qasr on the terrace if you're here on a Friday.

Even if you don't go to the water park, it's worth going to Atlantis for the Lost Chambers, which is the aquarium. My favourite mall for shopping is still the Mall of the Emirates, but the Dubai Mall is probably closer to your hotel, and its aquariam is amazing.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:55 pm
W10

Yes...you could go and marvel at the injured whale shark they are nursing back to health

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by W10
Yes...you could go and marvel at the injured whale shark they are nursing back to health
Lol you mean the one they "rescued" as an orphan? Definitely!