Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to just GET there??!!!

How hard is it to just GET there??!!!

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default How hard is it to just GET there??!!!

Hi,

Trying to arrange a meeting in Saudi with my prospective employer - but just getting the right visa for the trip is proving somewhat difficult.

Initially, I was supposed to travel on a temp work visa, though the agency processing the visa have requested a work contract, qualification related to the position on the visa (approved by the Aussie local Saudi ministry and DFAT!) etc etc. The position I have been nominated as "operations consultant" is not even closely related to my qualifications...so not sure how we can overcome this.

I'm not going for work, I'm going to meet senior management for some final discussions.

Then was told about "business visit" visa, though for this I need my company to issue a letter stating the purpose of my trip..."please allow Mr XX to visit XXX with the view of leaving us if they like the place.."..don't think so.

How does one just visit Saudi - apparently these are the only 2 visa types I can use? Can one just go on a visitors visa (Was told this is not an option by the visa agent in Oz).

Either way, it's going to add several more weeks to the process - which is disappointing (I can hear you now..thats the ME for you..!). I have to visit to get on the ground, visit compounds etc etc - so not meeting in Saudi is not an option.

Any tales of how anyone here has overcome these obstacles, or is it just a matter of patience?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

wimbledon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How hard is it to just GET there??!!!

signed my contract in sep. it s now feb. hoping to get passport stamped this week. yup sounds familar. hang in there
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wimbledon
signed my contract in sep. it s now feb. hoping to get passport stamped this week. yup sounds familar. hang in there
wimbledon - did you visit Saudi prior to signing contract? What visa type did you enter the Kingdom on?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

It should be possible for you to arrange a single-entry visa. You will need a letter from your contact in Saudi, stating the purpose, duration etc...

The other way to do it would be to wait for Hajj or Umrah, and get one of those visa's......
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:31 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
The other way to do it would be to wait for Hajj or Umrah, and get one of those visa's......
But only if you're of the Muslim faith surely? When I accepted my posting in Jeddah, I just did plenty of on-line research and hit the ground running when I got there. No chance for any pre-contract inspections.

Last edited by lionheart; Feb 2nd 2009 at 4:33 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:33 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But only if you're of the Muslim faith surely?
I was going to put the 'tongue-in-cheek' smilie there, but as its my only surviving ne'er resolution, refrained.....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:03 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Hi,

Trying to arrange a meeting in Saudi with my prospective employer - but just getting the right visa for the trip is proving somewhat difficult.

Initially, I was supposed to travel on a temp work visa, though the agency processing the visa have requested a work contract, qualification related to the position on the visa (approved by the Aussie local Saudi ministry and DFAT!) etc etc. The position I have been nominated as "operations consultant" is not even closely related to my qualifications...so not sure how we can overcome this.

I'm not going for work, I'm going to meet senior management for some final discussions.

Then was told about "business visit" visa, though for this I need my company to issue a letter stating the purpose of my trip..."please allow Mr XX to visit XXX with the view of leaving us if they like the place.."..don't think so.

How does one just visit Saudi - apparently these are the only 2 visa types I can use? Can one just go on a visitors visa (Was told this is not an option by the visa agent in Oz).

Either way, it's going to add several more weeks to the process - which is disappointing (I can hear you now..thats the ME for you..!). I have to visit to get on the ground, visit compounds etc etc - so not meeting in Saudi is not an option.

Any tales of how anyone here has overcome these obstacles, or is it just a matter of patience?
there seems to be two choices; go through the nightmare of trying to get a visa for a visit to make up your mind, or do plenty of research and throw caution to the wind and sign the contract feet-wet.

i went for the feet-wet option. so far so good, but there are a few things i wish i had known and prepared for first; (i.e. exit/entry visas, that my manager is probably the worst example of a manager have ever come across in over a decade... whinge whinge whinge)

by the way, who are you using in Oz for your visa?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by still.unsure
there seems to be two choices; go through the nightmare of trying to get a visa for a visit to make up your mind, or do plenty of research and throw caution to the wind and sign the contract feet-wet.

i went for the feet-wet option. so far so good, but there are a few things i wish i had known and prepared for first; (i.e. exit/entry visas, that my manager is probably the worst example of a manager have ever come across in over a decade... whinge whinge whinge)

by the way, who are you using in Oz for your visa?
Trying to get the business visit visa - will let you all know how it goes...

Re the visit, it's more of a combination final interview/feet on ground piece - worst case I guess we could meet in Dubai and go in "feet wet"
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Trying to get the business visit visa - will let you all know how it goes...

Re the visit, it's more of a combination final interview/feet on ground piece - worst case I guess we could meet in Dubai and go in "feet wet"
Absolutely right.......... if your would-be employer cannot get you a 'business visit visa' for a single visit (not usually difficult), it would be worth asking what sort of visa you'd get when you actually start work there. Multiple entry/exit visa essential - insist on that as part of your negotiations.

A meeting in Dubai might be feasible - an erstwhile member of The Bored recently did precisely that.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree you should be able to get a business visit visa for a recce - I did and I'm a woman . . . It can be done and it needn't take long either.

N
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

My old company used to be able to get us multiple entry business visas from the UK Saudi embassy within about 4 days - just make sure when you fill out your landing card you put down "Consultant" as your occupation.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benzonar
My old company used to be able to get us multiple entry business visas from the UK Saudi embassy within about 4 days - just make sure when you fill out your landing card you put down "Consultant" as your occupation.
The company in Saudi can issue their part of the deal i.e. a letter of invite to support the visa application. However, (new rules?) I also require a letter from an Australian company detailing that I need to "do business" with the company in Saudi, and this needs stamping by the NSW chamber of commerce (!) - a new online lodgement system was introduced a couple of weeks ago and I think the Saudi's are getting a lot stricter on enforcing visa requirements.

My problem is I cannot realistically get a letter from my current employer saying I need to visit for business - it would obviously raise a few Qs. Any thoughts?

Last edited by thecentennial; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:29 pm. Reason: sp