Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK University Fees

UK University Fees

Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK University Fees

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
You are right out of the five universities only 2 asked us to fill out a fees status form, the rest automatically gave home status
How does that work then? You just put down your UK address? I think the home fees have to be made up by your local authority.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You are right out of the five universities only 2 asked us to fill out a fees status form, the rest automatically gave home status
Did none of them query that your child had been educated abroad, or was your child in boarding school in the UK?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How does that work then? You just put down your UK address? I think the home fees have to be made up by your local authority.
We visited 3 different universities in the summer and each one told me that the universities aren't able to pick and choose what fees people pay, and that they have to defer to UKCISA regarding fees status. Hence my confusion over this. Plus I've seen people who have returned to the UK having been on "temp" visas (eg H1, L1's etc in the US) in the US who couldn't get home rates for their kids and they aren't citizens. It's grossly unfair if rules aren't being applied in a uniformed manner, which seems to be the case.

Just to clarify I am not pointing fingers or anything, just trying to highlight that the system regarding current home/international fees really needs to be applied fairly to all, or else revamped.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Did none of them query that your child had been educated abroad, or was your child in boarding school in the UK?
No, here in AD. The school address has to be put on the UCAS applications, so they are aware that we are overseas.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you put your UK address on the application. Y0ur LA doesn't make up the fees, you either get home status or overseas/international status.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
We visited 3 different universities in the summer and each one told me that the universities aren't able to pick and choose what fees people pay, and that they have to defer to UKCISA regarding fees status. Hence my confusion over this. Plus I've seen people who have returned to the UK having been on "temp" visas (eg H1, L1's etc in the US) in the US who couldn't get home rates for their kids and they aren't citizens. It's grossly unfair if rules aren't being applied in a uniformed manner, which seems to be the case.

Just to clarify I am not pointing fingers or anything, just trying to highlight that the system regarding current home/international fees really needs to be applied fairly to all, or else revamped.
um very odd, maybe it's easier from Abu as they know we will never be granted citizenship, whereas in the US you can be...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you put your UK address on the application. Y0ur LA doesn't make up the fees, you either get home status or overseas/international status.
Oh I see. However, what I meant is that the home rates are subsidised, so i'm not sure who pays that difference, I have seen different comments on this on BE.

As Sue said, without pointing fingers at all, it does seem the rules are not clear or uniformly applied.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

um very odd, maybe it's easier from Abu as they know we will never be granted citizenship, whereas in the US you can be...
Maybe .... all I know is the whole thing is really confusing ..... all this college/univ stuff is doing my head in Our son just seems so laid back about the whole thing ... he's going to be in for a shock when he actually leaves home and has to step up and look after himself
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sue
Maybe .... all I know is the whole thing is really confusing ..... all this college/univ stuff is doing my head in Our son just seems so laid back about the whole thing ... he's going to be in for a shock when he actually leaves home and has to step up and look after himself
The latest gem from mine - "What's the big rush?"

What did your son think of the ones you visited in the UK?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:37 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
May I ask Sue, if you have US citizenship or leave to remain indefinately?
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sue
lol, I know, the whole of last year was taken up with UCAS and applications and personal statements.... painful...

They actually do get on with it, I thought my baby would never survive but has already stared to dabble in the kitchen in the first week at Uni, with a few burnt offerings too.

They are all in the same situation so they all muck in and help each other out, its bleeding me who is suffering...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

He didn't visit any...
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

They were all great but for different reasons. Loved the History programme they offered at the University of Salford, and the campus was ok, but it was a bit run down. Cardiff uni doesn't really have a campus .... it sort of merges in with the city. Of course our son liked the one in London ... I wonder why?? I think we will end up applying to the 3 we visited in the UK and 3 here as well. See which ones say yes and then weigh up the negatives and positives.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

its bleeding me who is suffering...
That will be me too. Keep thinking I won't miss him, but with only having the one kid and him not being around I think the house is going to be very quiet.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:49 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Eva
May I ask Sue, if you have US citizenship or leave to remain indefinately?
We weren't asked that question at all, all they wanted to know was where did he attend school now and were we will have lived for the 3 years prior to him enrolling.

Never mind .. onward and upward

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.