British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UK University Fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uk-university-fees-688725/)

S.Styles Oct 8th 2010 10:27 am

UK University Fees

Does anyone know if we send our kids (UK passport holders) to boarding school in the UK for their final 3yrs - will they then qualify for UK status fees when they go to University?

busybee2 Oct 8th 2010 11:13 am

Re: UK University Fees

Originally Posted by S.Styles (Post 8904548)
Does anyone know if we send our kids (UK passport holders) to boarding school in the UK for their final 3yrs - will they then qualify for UK status fees when they go to University?

yes but then again i know people who qualify from here too.

Grace O Malley Oct 8th 2010 11:37 am

Yes they will, but 99% they will qualify from here also.

soukie Oct 8th 2010 1:05 pm

I think that the UK government will start looking at this very soon - everything is being squeezed at the moment so I wonder how long expats will be able to get home status especially those who have been out of UK for a fair few years.

Sue Oct 8th 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by S.Styles (Post 8904548)

I have been looking into this for my son and as I understand it you have to have been living in the UK for 3 years prior to enrollment in university, and that going back just to attend boarding school doesn't count, as that only for educational purposes, rather than taking up permanent residence.

Check out the Moving Back to the UK forum. There are lots of threads there discussing UK universities, international fees and the 3 year residency rule. It's a topic that comes up very frequently.

busybee2 Oct 8th 2010 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 8904990)
I have been looking into this for my son and as I understand it you have to have been living in the UK for 3 years prior to enrollment in university, and that going back just to attend boarding school doesn't count, as that only for educational purposes, rather than taking up permanent residence.

Check out the Moving Back to the UK forum. There are lots of threads there discussing UK universities, international fees and the 3 year residency rule. It's a topic that comes up very frequently.

yes u do have to have british parents, house in uk, paying council tax, paying bills etc to count towards it too.

Sue Oct 8th 2010 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8905056)
yes u do have to have british parents, house in uk, paying council tax, paying bills etc to count towards it too.

It's not just owning a house in the UK, or paying council tax, etc, one has to be ordinarily resident as well. Having a house in the UK, whilst actually living abroad, doesn't count as residency.

Grace O Malley Oct 8th 2010 2:47 pm

Having just gone through all of this, for Brit expats, as others have said, owning a home, paying council tax etc is a bonus, but the key point is to fill in the UCAS forms carefully and reiterate that you are out of the UK on a temporary basis and ordinarily a resident of the UK.

lionheart Oct 8th 2010 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8905107)
Having just gone through all of this, for Brit expats, as others have said, owning a home, paying council tax etc is a bonus, but the key point is to fill in the UCAS forms carefully and reiterate that you are out of the UK on a temporary basis and ordinarily a resident of the UK.

Presumably HM Inland Revenue (or whatever they call themselves) can access this info and try to use it to claim back taxes if you have told them you are a non-resident for UK tax purposes..

Sue Oct 8th 2010 3:30 pm

Whilst I am unhappy about the situation, rules are rules though aren't they. We aren't going to be resident for 3 years prior to enrollment, so if our son wants to attend UK university then we are going to have to pay international rates. Personally (and this is without my admin hat on ... this is my Sue hat) I don't think it's fair for anyone who hasn't been resident in the UK for the required 3 years, to try and get around the rules.

al dente Oct 8th 2010 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 8905071)
It's not just owning a house in the UK, or paying council tax, etc, one has to be ordinarily resident as well. Having a house in the UK, whilst actually living abroad, doesn't count as residency.

and thus pay taxes?? :eek:

MacScot Oct 8th 2010 4:17 pm

If you are Scots or classed as being ordinarily resident in Scotland or another European Union (EU) country outside the UK, and are going to be studying full-time in Scotland, you will not be required to pay tuition fees.

If you're English, Welsh or Northern Irish you have to pay GBP 1,820/yr and for overseaes students (non-EU) it ranges between GBP 9,900/yr and GBP 11, 950/yr from 2010/11 onwards

http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/under...ition_fees.php

busybee2 Oct 8th 2010 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8905107)

see i knew that grace had just done it, and i know a lot from our sch didnt have problems,, obviously it may change with the new gov. but there are ways around it, and its really up to the uni if they are wanting you on their course they dont even ask the questions etc.

Grace O Malley Oct 8th 2010 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 8905332)
see i knew that grace had just done it, and i know a lot from our sch didnt have problems,, obviously it may change with the new gov. but there are ways around it, and its really up to the uni if they are wanting you on their course they dont even ask the questions etc.

You are right out of the five universities only 2 asked us to fill out a fees status form, the rest automatically gave home status

Grace O Malley Oct 8th 2010 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 8905181)
Whilst I am unhappy about the situation, rules are rules though aren't they. We aren't going to be resident for 3 years prior to enrollment, so if our son wants to attend UK university then we are going to have to pay international rates. Personally (and this is without my admin hat on ... this is my Sue hat) I don't think it's fair for anyone who hasn't been resident in the UK for the required 3 years, to try and get around the rules.

Sue, its not getting around the rules, for us expats living in the UAE, we are not citizens of the UAE and do not have right of abode, thus making us temporary residents, therefore the UK is our ordinarily place of residence.

I don't know of any students here in Abu Dhabi who have not got home status.