Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK raises terror threat in UAE to maximum

UK raises terror threat in UAE to maximum

Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:42 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK raises terror threat in UAE to maximum

This co. provide all security globally to british embassys. same old same old it is then

"Revision of British embassy’s security advice underlines general threat from terrorism

The British embassy in Abu Dhabi advised on 14 June that it had raised its assessment of the terrorism threat to the UAE from ‘general’ to ‘high’.

Control Risks advises that travel to the UAE can continue as normal despite the revised threat assessment. However, personnel should be fully confident in their local travel arrangements and exercise good situational awareness. Businesses are advised to review their contingency and evacuation plans routinely.

Although the embassy has raised its assessment to high, the overall level of its advice has not changed and the embassy continues to advise that travel to the UAE remains possible. Control Risks believes that this apparent contradiction indicates that the decision was predicated more on bringing the embassy into line with the assessments of other diplomatic missions in the UAE and encouraging the resident expatriate community not to become complacent, rather than reflecting a specific threat to British interests. Control Risks' sources in the federation have been unable to confirm whether a specific threat has been made.

Warden message

The revised assessment, which was contained in a warden message issued by the embassy, said that there was a high threat of terrorism in the UAE and that extremist groups may be planning attacks in the federation. It added that any attacks could be indiscriminate and occur at any time, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign personnel such as residential compounds and military, oil, transport and aviation facilities. The embassy also advised British personnel to maintain a high level of security awareness.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:46 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

What about a 'local' (ish) perspective?

Just showed the FCO advice about the UAE to my Saudi colleagues here................

Allow me to sum up their (unanimous) reaction:

As one of them so quaintly put it:

"You've got more chance of seeing a one-legged can-can dancer than a terror attack on Dubai"

Last edited by The Dean; Jun 17th 2008 at 2:39 pm. Reason: s
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yep wasnt just meaning british, but anybody that is 'qualifed and knows what they are talking about..!' of course.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Just passed British Embassy and its swarming with police and army.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:07 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone not registered with the embassy is advised to do so, as apparently there may be another wardens message for Uk citizens.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

nope no new wardens message to say (as I know have access to one) and apparently no worries at the embassy in abudhabi. rumour mill at work (apparently)
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:38 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiva
Anyone not registered with the embassy is advised to do so, as apparently there may be another wardens message for Uk citizens.
I registered a while back - this is going to sound really vague - online with the embassy (someone posted a link on here a couple of months ago) .

Would a wardens message be emailed to me?

EDIT - This was the LOCATE service I registered for. No travel advice updates issues through this channel. I need to register with County Travel eMail Alerts. Two registrations on the same FCO website? Total Bollocks!

Last edited by NedKelly63; Jun 17th 2008 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it depends on when you registered the new scheme is called LOCATE which sounds like you registered for that, and that is the correct one. Its a new system (they have updated the old one) so you will be allocated a warden, they may or not contact you to introduce themselves (they are all busy people and volunteers) but the embassy will issue the warden with a list for their particular area, and then if anything major was to happen the embassy emails the warden and then the warden will cascade the information on to you, as long as that information is correct, I have done the emailing for my husband in the past and you would be surprised how many email addresses are wrong, and phone numbers etc, so need to take care (as a list may consist of 30/40 names). Travel advice is different.

This has happened here before, just need to be viligiant at all times.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
nope no new wardens message to say (as I know have access to one) and apparently no worries at the embassy in abudhabi. rumour mill at work (apparently)
ah excuse me BB i live directly opposite the embassy and can see into the grounds and earlier today when i posted the whole embassy as i said was swarming with police and army, unless it was my imaginatiion
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

right will i was getting my intel from people living in the compound
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

well i have been speaking to a couple of more embassy ladies today at school, and they dont know of any 'swat' team in the compound, so if something was going down, it wasnt at any time when my friends were in there
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:33 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

So how do we register for this and what's the point of it?

Bison
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

go onto the fco website and its called locate, you can do it online. you should register as then if the embassy wish to tell you anything they will contact you via this system, this worked well in lebanon, they knew something was happening weeks before, and so they told the british and organised for transport out, if you are told to move out and you ignore it and when like in lebanon they bring war ships in which last resort then you will find that there is no way out of the country and you are stuck.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one point to locate - to assist getting you out of the country in the unlikely event that things go badly tits up... FCO have no resources/mandate to do anything else. CYA for back home...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.