Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK PAYE corporate employee work / contract - working physically in Dubai

UK PAYE corporate employee work / contract - working physically in Dubai

Old Nov 12th 2021, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK PAYE corporate employee work / contract - working physically in Dubai

Hi quick question: if my UK employer allows me to "work from anywhere" (on the planet) and I choose to execute this work (via Remote Work visa) in Dubai - does anyone know if I have to pay PAYE tax in UK? I am assuming I just fill in P85 (or something) form, and get a tax code (No Tax) which I would give to HR and not pay tax (officially) as I'd be not in UK barring a few vacations here and there) + no property, ties etc etc?

Anyone done something like this?

ps. I've been living in Canada since 2017 incase relevant.

Last edited by Paz7; Nov 12th 2021 at 2:19 am.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK PAYE corporate employee work / contract - working physically in Dubai

Originally Posted by Paz7
Hi quick question: if my UK employer allows me to "work from anywhere" (on the planet) and I choose to execute this work (via Remote Work visa) in Dubai - does anyone know if I have to pay PAYE tax in UK? I am assuming I just fill in P85 (or something) form, and get a tax code (No Tax) which I would give to HR and not pay tax (officially) as I'd be not in UK barring a few vacations here and there) + no property, ties etc etc?

Anyone done something like this?

ps. I've been living in Canada since 2017 incase relevant.
Its not as simple as you describe and something you should seek professional advice on. The residency/non residency rules that are often discussed in depth here usually apply to foreign income. The way you are describing this your income will be UK income and paid in the UK ? Is that correct ? I certainly pay UK tax on my UK income (albeit not work related income)

(From HMRC) You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident.

Income includes things like:
  • pension
  • rental income
  • savings interest
  • wages

Last edited by UKMS; Nov 14th 2021 at 8:52 am.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Djuro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK PAYE corporate employee work / contract - working physically in Dubai

As UKMS said definitely seek professional advice. Your UK sourced income could still be taxed in the UK even if you are not there. Perhaps your employer would be willing to pay for such advice. And you would also need to speak to the Canadian equivalent of the HMRC because if you e.g. have a house there or leave a spouse or kids behind they may also want to chip in.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 10:57 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paz7,

As UKMS and Djuro have said, you should certainly seek professional advice.

The area of Residence is complex and it is very important that it is handled correctly. HMRC's literature on this is in excess of 100 pages for a reason!