Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Just to clarify my situation - I do have UAE driving license. I assumed though that this would not be accepted for rentals in UK & USA - if it is accepted then I don't have the problem that I thought I did. And if I ever return to UK will renew it then... I guess that's the only way to do it legally anyway it seems?
UK car rental companies are evidently required by law to accept driving licences from the resident country of the hirer. It possibly relates to the imposition of traffic fines, black points and the like, although I'm only guessing.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:19 am
IOGM

Spikus will become famous soon enough

Would not get too worried about this..... went for a short trip to UK in March.... provided Hertz a UK passport, UAE residence address and Canadian drivers license..... no problem.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Just to clarify my situation - I do have UAE driving license. I assumed though that this would not be accepted for rentals in UK & USA - if it is accepted then I don't have the problem that I thought I did. And if I ever return to UK will renew it then... I guess that's the only way to do it legally anyway it seems?

UAE Licence is accepted in the UK and you cannot renew or replace a UK licence if you are non-resident. You can get an IDP with your UAE licence.

(If people read my columns they'd know this )
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Much better to rent on your UAE license back home anyway as if you get caught speeding you don't get points on your UK licence ;-)
Old Jun 24th 2012, 11:17 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I swapped my old-style UK licence for a photocard one a couple of years ago, using the online system and having the licence sent to my parents' address. I did worry that I was taking a risk, but there was no problem at all. Clearly the RTA here doesn't (or didn't) notify the DVLA when it issues a UAE licence against a UK one. The DVLA also clearly didn't check my residency status, but maybe that was just pure luck.

This was *before* I'd discovered that my UK licence is invalid until I'm a permanent UK resident again. If I'd known that at the time I wouldn't have bothered. Before then we'd used our UK licences to rent in the UK, since then we've always used our UAE ones, and the car hire places have never even blinked at them.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:47 pm