Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:47 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Hello Bored,

This must have happened to some of you guys - my UK driving license photocard has expired. I received a letter from the DVLA and it very clearly states you need to be a UK resident to submit a new photo etc...

I clearly don't want to commit fraud to get a new card.

Where does that leave you for international car hire? I have a valid UK paper license but expired UK photocard plus a valid UAE license...

For UK / Europe / USA car hire the UAE one will not be valid I guess and the UK paper license alone will not be enough?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 7:50 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Driving license - photocard expiry

The easiest option?

Get it replaced and send it to a mates address.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

If your UK passport is less than 5 years old you can do it all online as they'll use that picture. My wife applied Sunday and had the new licence on the Thursday at UK address.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:56 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
If your UK passport is less than 5 years old you can do it all online as they'll use that picture. My wife applied Sunday and had the new licence on the Thursday at UK address.
I can do that and have it sent to my listed UK address - that's not a problem - I'm just worried that I'm non-resident as per tax and NI etc and I thought you have to be UK resident or you can be fined etc...

Am I worrying too much?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...plyC/DG_193809

What you need when applying online

To renew the photo on your driving licence online you need to:

have a valid UK passport issued within the last five years
be a resident of Great Britain
pay £20.00 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card
not currently be prevented from driving for any reason
provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years
have your driving licence (if you do not have your driving licence you must indicate why as part of your application)

Last edited by Autonomy; Jun 23rd 2012 at 8:59 am. Reason: added website info
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Am I worrying too much?
Yes
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

I can do that and have it sent to my listed UK address - that's not a problem - I'm just worried that I'm non-resident as per tax and NI etc and I thought you have to be UK resident or you can be fined etc...

Am I worrying too much?

have your driving licence (if you do not have your driving licence you must indicate why as part of your application)
National Identity Card by 'Stealth' then?
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:03 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Am I worrying too much?

Seeing as how HMRC's Income Tax department have failed now on three occasions to remind its NI department that I'm no longer a resident (despite having told them myself about four times), I wouldn't worry about inter-government communication.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Dear Mr Hat

Thank you for your email received on 10/2/11. Your email reference number is 123456.

I can confirm that if the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) are notified by another licensing authority that a valid licence has been issued to you on the strength of a Great British (GB) licence, a marker would be placed on your British driver record, which in effect invalidates your British licence.

In this instance you would be permitted to drive on the strength of a valid non GB licence, for up to 12 months from date of entry if here as a visitor.

As you presently reside overseas for the greater part of the time, I regret that we are unable to issue you with a further British licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Therefore, it will not be possible for you to drive on or reinstate your GB licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 123456 will be required.

Regards

J Jones
Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

I do not have a Photocard Licence, only the old Pink Paper Copy issued in 1975, for life (Or until 70); which we were all told at the time that this would not have to be renewed! - Unless with a Change of Address, or Endorsements.

If I ever did go back to the UK then I could use my UAE/Qatar/Saudi/Philippines Licence for a year. The only requirement then is to make a day trip either to The Republic of Ireland, or to France, and get your Passport stamped upon re-entry. The 'Year' then starts all over again!

If you have ever done a Fly/Drive with Emirates to the UK, the UK Rental Company always ask for the UAE Licence, and not the UK one.

Last edited by jackthehat; Jun 23rd 2012 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
The easiest option?

Get it replaced and send it to a mates address.
but that it is illegal, and you can be fined for that as you are not resident in the uk. someone who applied for a new card from here online put down that she was resident in the uk etc, and now they are "looking into it" because they can tell that you are not living in the country by "other" means.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Bored,

This must have happened to some of you guys - my UK driving license photocard has expired. I received a letter from the DVLA and it very clearly states you need to be a UK resident to submit a new photo etc...

I clearly don't want to commit fraud to get a new card.

Where does that leave you for international car hire? I have a valid UK paper license but expired UK photocard plus a valid UAE license...

For UK / Europe / USA car hire the UAE one will not be valid I guess and the UK paper license alone will not be enough?

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Unfortunately you need to use your uae licence to rent abroad, when you go back to live in the UK then you can apply for a new photo licence as you have not been resident you will not be in trouble, people living in the uk and do not renew their licence after 10 years will be fined a lot... .not so if you are not resident they will just give you a new one when needed when you live back in the uk. obviously this doesnt help if you do not have a uae/foreign licence if you do not drive here.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikewot
Yes
NO.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:41 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed my photo ID when back in UK last summer. I am guessing I broke the law (I dont recall there being anything about being resident - perhaps I didnt look to closely?)

I believe that you cannot use your UK Licence to hire a car as you are non-resident and this nullifies insurance if you hire on this licence.

I hired in UK at Easter on my UAE licence. No problems. I emailed them beforehand to check this was OK.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I renewed my photo ID when back in UK last summer. I am guessing I broke the law (I dont recall there being anything about being resident - perhaps I didnt look to closely?)

I believe that you cannot use your UK Licence to hire a car as you are non-resident and this nullifies insurance if you hire on this licence.

I hired in UK at Easter on my UAE licence. No problems. I emailed them beforehand to check this was OK.
yes you broke the law as you have to be resident in uk it does actually say online if you look.

yes because you are not resident you cannot use your uk licence in the uk otherwise your insurance will not pay out.

yes thats correct you should use your uae licence to hire a car in the uk.

but of course if you dont have a uae licence then you are stuffed as you shouldnt use your uk licence. technically the RTA here should send back your uk licence to the DVLA but of course that doesnt happen.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:41 pm