Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Well, sure. Everyone's free to think that the world's flat. But it's not.
Live and let live, son...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

So you spent a week near Brixton and extrapolated from that that everyone has a long walk from every Tube station to wherever it is they're going?

That's Dubai logic, alright
Yes. I used it, I hated it. But as a tourist this is the only opinion I have of it.

You were evidently fortunate enough to live and work close to a station...what about all those who don't?

Everyone complains about traffic being so bad there, surely the city needs something to help relieve it of this problem.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
Yes. I used it, I hated it. But as a tourist this is the only opinion I have of it.

You were evidently fortunate enough to live and work close to a station...what about all those who don't?

Everyone complains about traffic being so bad there, surely the city needs something to help relieve it of this problem.
You should slowly start to realise that it is futile to discuss with Eeyore...
Like talking to a post...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gareth, my good friend, try selling ice to the eskimos...You are very persuasive because you have strong convictions...

Anyway...I said my piece on this thread...Enough for me...

Last edited by Confucius; Apr 27th 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:13 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Live and let live, son...

Not sure what to answer on this whole post...

I used to live in various parts of London over a 12 year period that were 15 mins + walk from a tube and more in places... (this can be quite normal) (I KNOW it was not 50 deg heat)

Proof of pedestrian crossings are happening already on the main SZR strip between TC and Defense and also near Safa.

There needs to be (as I previously mentioned) two tiered taxi fares to encourage short trips.

I will use the metro - though maybe not everyday, but I hope I can - that would be great. A book a week instead of traffic - bring it on...

London intergrated transport took approx 75 years to get ok and 100 years to get good and during that time the city was brought to numerous stand stills with mass deaths due to Pea Souper fogs (i.e. pollution)... I think if dxb can handle it in 10 years than that's pretty good...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Not sure what to answer on this whole post...

I used to live in various parts of London over a 12 year period that were 15 mins + walk from a tube and more in places... (this can be quite normal) (I KNOW it was not 50 deg heat)

Proof of pedestrian crossings are happening already on the main SZR strip between TC and Defense and also near Safa.

There needs to be (as I previously mentioned) two tiered taxi fares to encourage short trips.

I will use the metro - though maybe not everyday, but I hope I can - that would be great. A book a week instead of traffic - bring it on...

London intergrated transport took approx 75 years to get ok and 100 years to get good and during that time the city was brought to numerous stand stills with mass deaths due to Pea Souper fogs (i.e. pollution)... I think if dxb can handle it in 10 years than that's pretty good...

There speaks the voice of reason

And from such a creative person too - unusual.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 10:12 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be very happy getting a bus from JBR to the metro, and taking the metro into DIFC. Very happy.

I doubt I'll still be in Dubai by the time this is possible, of course...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:49 am
W10

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

I tried to use the Metro in Hong Hong during July. it was a pleasant enough experience excet for the 200 yard walk to my meeting. By the time I arrived I was soaked!
And yet millions of people use it every day in Hong Kong, hardly anyone uses cars on a daily basis!! I think its more a case of cars being too cheap and easy here. There is no dissincentive

Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:59 am
W10

When its 50 degress the humidity is around 55%, it rises at night as the temperature drops (and rarely hiuts 95%, if ever).

Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpar are perfect examples of hot and sticky countries with effective transport networks. HK has humidity that Dubai can only dream about.

People will use it if you also provide disencentives to the car. It seems too many people view a car as a right and not a luxury. Personally I think that when the metro is up and running they should expand salik and jack up the toll to Dh25 for each crossing. Make taxis, buses and low emission vehicles exempt.

The long term plan is very comprehensive and involves several linking projects (new lines on the metro, beach road, Burj, dubailand, dubai waterfront, tripling of bus network, water buses all along the creek extensions etc). It will take time, and they started too late. But it will work.

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:04 am
W10

Eh?

I worked in various parts of London for 15 years, using the Tube every day, and the longest time I ever had from station to work was 5 minutes. I don't consider that a "long walk", but YMMV (sic).
You worked in Zone one? 5 minutes is a crazily unrealistic figure if you want to expand it as an example (meaning citywide). If you just do the basic maths you'll see that there are just several hundred tube stations covering 100s of square km.

In central West London I was still 10 to 15 mins away from a tube station. most people are. But 15 mins is not a long walk.

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Eh?

Of course, during the summer walking in London is a real pleasure, so I'd often skip my Tube journey completely and walk all the way to and from my mainline railway station. You won't find many people saying that walking in Dubai in the summer is any kind of pleasure at all...
But would would you do that in London in winter? It's rarely a pleasure.

Dubai on the other hand, has a far better winter.

If I look at the year round weather, I'd take Dubai anyday. At least you know it will be roasting in the summer and pleasant in the winter.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Have heard a wee rumour running round the oil fraternity that DP are considering doubling the price at the pump...
Which DP are you referring to?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

You should slowly start to realise that it is futile to discuss with Eeyore...

dont get him start on dubai real estate
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
And therein lies the crux of the problem. Can you put your hand on your heart and say that, if necessary, you'd happily walk in the open air for 15 minutes or more to get to or from the Metro during the summer?

Even the Emiratis I know say that they won't, and you'd think they might be a bit more amenable to it, what with being brought up in these climatic conditions and being able to wear national dress. "It is much too hot - I use my car" is their standard response.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:51 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

You should slowly start to realise that it is futile to discuss with Eeyore

It's actually very easy discussing with me. You just have to answer questions and not wriggle away from them, and be prepared to back up what you're saying rather than spit the dummy when I ask you to justify something.

Or is that too much to ask?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.