Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:49 pm
W10

Default Re: UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

I must be alone in thinking it is a good idea.

I can't wait to not have to use my car to get around here.

Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I must be alone in thinking it is a good idea.

I can't wait to not have to use my car to get around here.
you're obviously the only one to think they will build a truly usable integrated public transport system.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 5:20 pm
W10

Having seen most of the plans. Yes I do.

The problem is they didn't think about this at the start, but in a year or so, things will be much better.

The bus service is already getting better (yes I have used it)

Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:19 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Having seen most of the plans. Yes I do.

The problem is they didn't think about this at the start, but in a year or so, things will be much better.

The bus service is already getting better (yes I have used it)
We used the X25 not so long ago from JBR - pleasantly surprised (certainly more reliable than the taxis down there on a Friday night).
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Having seen most of the plans. Yes I do
Do the plans reveal how they expect people to use the Metro, especially in the summer, given that most people neither live within easy walking distance nor work within easy walking distance of a station?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Buses will still not be an adequate solution here unless they go within 100 yards of your destination. Who wants to walk more than 100m during the day in the middle of August?

I tried to use the Metro in Hong Hong during July. it was a pleasant enough experience excet for the 200 yard walk to my meeting. By the time I arrived I was soaked!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Do the plans reveal how they expect people to use the Metro, especially in the summer, given that most people neither live within easy walking distance nor work within easy walking distance of a station?
Did you forget the age old fact that you yourself always point to; that less than 5% of the people living in Dubai are the ones making over 20K a month...
The metro is meant for people who are also making less than that...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Buses will still not be an adequate solution here unless they go within 100 yards of your destination. Who wants to walk more than 100m during the day in the middle of August?

I tried to use the Metro in Hong Hong during July. it was a pleasant enough experience excet for the 200 yard walk to my meeting. By the time I arrived I was soaked!
So will you use the metro here from November till May???
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:37 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
The metro is meant for people who are also making less than that...
That's what I figured, but earlier in this thread, you'll see that IndieG reckons it will be priced beyond the financial reach of the low-paid.

And that still doesn't address the issue of most people (low-paid or high-paid) not living or working anywhere near a Metro station.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 27th 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's what I figured, but if you check back earlier in this thread, you'll see that IndieG reckons it will be priced beyond the financial reach of the low-paid.

And that still doesn't address the issue of most people (low-paid or high-paid) not living or working anywhere near a Metro station.
People always will find ways to adapt...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So will you use the metro here from November till May???
no because it doesnt stop close enough to either my home or office!

and i doubt I will still be in Dubai when it opens.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:40 pm
Soupy twist

People always will find ways to adapt...
That's a non-answer if ever there was one. You don't work in the Dubai government, do you?

And of course, it's completely predicated on people actually considering it worth their while to adapt rather than just leave. The government does rather seem to be under the impression that they can constantly ratchet up the cost of living and it won't matter because Dubai is such a wonderful place that expats won't decide that they can do better elsewhere and leave.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 27th 2008 at 7:43 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
no because it doesnt stop close enough to either my home or office!

and i doubt I will still be in Dubai when it opens.
Do you know what will happen to you tomorrow???
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's a non-answer if ever there was one. You don't work in the Dubai government, do you?

And of course, it's completely predicated on people actually considering it worth their while to adapt rather than just leave. The government does rather seem to be under the impression that they can constantly ratchet up the cost of living and it won't matter because Dubai is such a wonderful place that expats won't decide that they can do better elsewhere and leave.
I don't work for the suits,no...
And my answer, you already know what it's about...In every country I been, the metro is 20-40% more expensive than buses...Plus, the buses are also going to be abundant in the coming months or years...So people who wont use the metro, will still use the bus...Albeit in larger numbers since the buses are also going to be more...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do you know what will happen to you tomorrow???
well I've already started looking for work elsewhere!
I'm not one of those people who thinks the sun shines out of Dubai's arse (which I believe is located in International City)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.