Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Wikiposts

UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE motorists to be priced out of driving

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
well I've already started looking for work elsewhere!
I'm not one of those people who thinks the sun shines out of Dubai's arse (which I believe is located in International City)
I can only wish you good luck and good fortune...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I don't work for the suits,no...
And my answer, you already know what it's about...In every country I been, the metro is 20-40% more expensive than buses...Plus, the buses are also going to be abundant in the coming months or years...So people who wont use the metro, will still use the bus...Albeit in larger numbers since the buses are also going to be more...
nice Diesel buses spewing out lovely levels of pollution on the very dirty diesel that is available here. Nice!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

nice Diesel buses spewing out lovely levels of pollution on the very dirty diesel that is available here. Nice!
The only people who'll hate it are the ones not using it...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:51 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

So people who wont use the metro, will still use the bus...
Out of interest, who do you think is actually going to use the Metro on an everyday basis? Do you really think people are going to pay to park near a station, then take the train, then somehow find a way - by paying for a taxi, maybe? - from the station to wherever their ultimate destination is?

Take the Burj Al Arab station, for example. Who's actually going to use that station every day? Those people who work in the Dubai Garden Centre and Trading Enterprises and who also happen to live close to a station? Clueless tourists who think that because it's called the Burj Al Arab station, it's actually within walking distance of the hotel?

What I'm after is some kind of evidence that they've actually thought about this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I get the impression that they've just gone hell-for-leather to build the Metro without really thinking about how it's going to be used.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Out of interest, who do you think is actually going to use the Metro on an everyday basis? Do you really think people are going to pay to park near a station, then take the train, then somehow find a way - by paying for a taxi, maybe? - from the station to wherever their ultimate destination is?

Take the Burj Al Arab station, for example. Who's actually going to use that station every day? Those people who work in the Dubai Garden Centre and Trading Enterprises and who also happen to live close to a station? Clueless tourists who think that because it's called the Burj Al Arab station, it's actually within walking distance of the hotel?

What I'm after is some kind of evidence that they've actually thought about this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I get the impression that they've just gone hell-for-leather to build the Metro without really thinking about how it's going to be used.
I used to use the metro in Paris, Lyon and Guangzhou with similar situations...You can't expect the metro to stop under everyone's house and office do you???
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I can only wish you good luck and good fortune...
most gracious of you!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

most gracious of you!
Least I can honestly do...Believe me...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I used to use the metro in Paris, Lyon and Guangzhou with similar situations...You can't expect the metro to stop under everyone's house and office do you???
you don't have 50 degree heat with high levels of hummidity in Paris or Lyon!
and they have extensive metro systems!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you don't have 50 degree heat with high levels of hummidity in Paris or Lyon!
and they have extensive metro systems!
They are very good...And dont forget, that whole network wasn't built in a day...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:04 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use the metro in Paris, Lyon and Guangzhou with similar situations...
Tell me, then; how far did you have to walk to and from the stations in 50C summer heat with 95% humidity?

And how many times was the nearest station to your destination on the wrong side of a road that was impossible to cross on foot (assuming that you actually want to walk more than 100 yards in that 50C heat and 95% humidity), forcing you to use a car to complete your journey?

The train/metro systems I've used in London, New York, France, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Tokyo were all way more comprehensive than the Dubai Metro is going to be (far more stations covering far more destinations), and without the extreme heat and humidity that afflict Dubai for a good four months each year.

I notice you've been careful to avoid addressing my questions about how people are actually going to be expected to use the Metro. Do you really think people are going to drive, then pay to park all day near a station, then pay for their Metro journey, then pay for a taxi at the other end, etc etc etc? Because it genuinely seems that unless you literally live and work in buildings that have Metro stations right next door, that's what you're going to have to do.

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 27th 2008 at 8:08 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tell me, then; how far did you have to walk to and from the stations in 50C summer heat with 95% humidity?
I used to walk 4-500mts in 90-95% humidity and 35-36 degrees in GZ, in some of my daily commutes...
And how many times was the nearest station to your destination on the wrong side of a road that was impossible to cross on foot (assuming that you actually want to walk more than 100 yards in that 50C heat and 95% humidity), forcing you to use a car to complete your journey?
Don't ask...I had a stupid assistant who couldn't save her own ass...
The train/metro systems I've used in London, New York, France, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Tokyo were all way more comprehensive than the Dubai Metro is going to be (far more stations covering far more destinations), and without the extreme heat and humidity that afflict Dubai for a good four months each year
They all didnt get that much comprehensive and sophisticated from the first year of operation did they???
Give this damn city a chance...They sure don't know what they're doing but at least they're trying...Whether it will cock everything up that's for time to decide...
I notice you've been careful to avoid addressing my questions about how people are actually going to be expected to use the Metro. Do you really think people are going to drive, then pay to park all day near a station, then pay for taxi at the other end, etc etc etc?
It doesn't always have to be that scenario now, would it Gareth???
People will find ways to adapt...They will still use the metro...I dont know the number of people who will and chances are they'll be in the hundreds, but still, it wont run on empty...

Last edited by Eeyore; Apr 27th 2008 at 8:18 am. Reason: poster didn't know how to use quotes
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gareth, please can you fix the quoting...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Loooooooooooooooong reply incoming!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

The train/metro systems I've used in London, New York, France, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Tokyo were all way more comprehensive than the Dubai Metro is going to be (far more stations covering far more destinations), and without the extreme heat and humidity that afflict Dubai for a good four months each year.

I notice you've been careful to avoid addressing my questions about how people are actually going to be expected to use the Metro. Do you really think people are going to drive, then pay to park all day near a station, then pay for their Metro journey, then pay for a taxi at the other end, etc etc etc? Because it genuinely seems that unless you literally live and work in buildings that have Metro stations right next door, that's what you're going to have to do.
People do it in London....ok, no heat there but you still have long walks to reach anywhere.

My view is it will be a success.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:31 am
Soupy twist

I used to walk 4-500mts in 90-95% humidity and 35-36 degrees in GZ, in some of my daily commutes...
So, positively cool compared to a Dubai summer. Most people have no interest in walking 50 metres in the open air in Dubai in July.

Don't ask...I had a stupid assistant who couldn't save her own ass...
Pretty meaningless answer. Meanwhile, what happens if the nearest Metro station to your destination is on the wrong side of SZR?

They all didnt get that much comprehensive and sophisticated from the first year of operation did they???
Nope. But then, Dubai doesn't have the luxury of the time that other cities have had to develop their transport networks.

They sure don't know what they're doing
At last, an honest appraisal of the situation

It doesn't always have to be that scenario now, would it Gareth???
Like I have said numerous times before; unless you live AND work in buildings that are within easy summer walking distance of Metro stations - and most people do not - you're not going to be able to use the Metro without travelling to and from stations using a car, be it your own or a taxi. And that's going to add a lot to the hassle and cost.

Of course, what they should have done is to build a proper integrated rail system that ran from RAK to AD. But of course, the last thing the Dubai government wants is quick, convenient public transport from other emirates into Dubai, because that would mean hundreds of thousands of expats fleeing Dubai and going to live in those other emirates.

People will find ways to adapt...
Do you yourself believe that Dubai is so inherently wonderful that people will choose to "adapt", even if it ends up costing them more money, rather than just leave and go somewhere else?

I dont know the number of people who will and chances are they'll be in the hundreds, but still, it wont run on empty...
If the Metro is only carrying hundreds of people a day instead of thousands, then it'll be one of the most pointless attempts to get people off the roads in history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.