Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE Choosing somewhere to live (but working in Abu Dhabi)

UAE Choosing somewhere to live (but working in Abu Dhabi)

Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE Choosing somewhere to live (but working in Abu Dhabi)

I'm very pro Abu Dhabi. The grid system is great (though the dickheads who are scared of missing a left hand turn and try and get across 6 lanes of traffic to get to it, despite another one a mere 700m away, piss me off).

Dubai has a lot to offer, and we like weekends there, but it's so spread out and badly planned that the travel times do my head in. I live in the centre of AD island and nothing is more than 25 mins away, including F1, which is the same time as the airport.

I've met wankers everywhere. There are just as many arrivistes in AD as Dubai but not so many pretty young girls or flash young lads. People seem to land here at 30 rather than younger. Also, our skirt lengths seem an inch or so longer.

Al Reef seems alright but it's not AD so much as it merely happens to be in the emirate, it's nowhere near the town. In fact, it reminded me of Dubai as you're driving along a motorway and then there is a massive housing community. It's great for the bars and restaurants at Yas and you're only 45 mins from the Marina end of Dubai if you have to come over for a night out in Baristi's (see skirt issue above).
Old Nov 19th 2012, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I have a 3-bed + maids; 1 en-suite bed; just off the Marina. Big enough for just one, and fine for when the family comes out for brief spells. Dedicated u/g parking. 110 in 2 cheques, but I think that's below market rates; landlord pays for a/c, I pay other power and water (about 300 a month). A come down from my big place in AD, but spondoolies in the bank make up for it.

I too don't mind the drive, even when you've got Abdul in his Landcruiser up your arse at 160. The only time its a real drag is when there's been an accident that really slows things down (once a month?) and on Thursday evenings.

After 3 1/2 years in AD I'd got tired of all the same bars, and when my family's out the Marina is a great place to be.
I so hear you about AD bars, same faces every week doing the same thing, drinking the same drinks, you move bar and they follow you, lord I can't wait to get to Dubai.

FWIW having completed my 4 year sentence in AD I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt for anyone who has any life left in them whatsoever Dubai has to be the place to go, AD is great for kids and people with families, but not so much for us without wee ones. Al Reef is the AD version of the Springs it gets called coronation street and in my view not the place for a single man on his own who wants a bit of life about him, Raha gardens is wihin your budget, some come with pools, it has shops and stuff about and Bandar is only across the road, Yas a few quid in a taxi for some eats and drinks, if I were staying here thats where I would go.

In my current experience of accommodation hunting it's not as straightforward to say Dubai is cheaper than AD, more choice in Dubai but also more crap places, yes you can get apts for 85k but you can't fit your couch in them or put 2 plates out in the kitchen at the one time, you get what you pay for as the man says. Add to that the housing fee, the chiller charges and more expensive utilities in general, plus the cost commuting and suddenly the prices are really not that far apart. Just my 2 euro worth mind.

Should add we are looking to spend less than we do now for our Corniche apt in AD (180k 2 bed), we narrowed it down to JLT (value for money per sqft, McGettigans), Marina (concentration of bars is highest in Dubai) and Business Bay (close to his work)

Last edited by lanarkwitch; Nov 19th 2012 at 5:44 am.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:46 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Marina (concentration of bars is highest in Dubai)
But I haven't found one I like. Suggestions?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

I live in Tecom and do the daily commute to Saadiyat Island. It isn't to bad to be honest only takes about 1 hour. I leave between 6 and 6.30am so traffic is never to bad.

I just have a 1 bed apartment but its more than enough and I would rather spend my money on going out etc I don't tend to spend weekends in the apartment so don't want to spend all my money on the apartment.

Found Tecom to have a few good bars as well and taxis are cheap and plentiful to get to anywhere you want to go.

I spend a lot of time in AD and Dubai and personally prefer Dubai but I guess thats because I am a 24 year old male!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Not yet, I think there are about 40 so that will take me 2 weekends to get round, I will review and report back, for comparison where did you like in AD?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What you looking for? Sports bar type or just general bar?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
What you looking for? Sports bar type or just general bar?
Sports bars here Scamp, any good ones?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 8:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by lanarkwitch
Sports bars here Scamp, any good ones?
Marina end of Dubai?

Not all specifically sports bars but...

The Underground (Habtoor Grand)
Marina Byblos Hotel (Nell Gwynnie or something it's called)
Yacht Club sports bar
Barasti shows the footie
McGettigans

urm...
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Marina end of Dubai?

Not all specifically sports bars but...

The Underground (Habtoor Grand)
Marina Byblos Hotel (Nell Gwynnie or something it's called)
Yacht Club sports bar
Barasti shows the footie
McGettigans

urm...
I like Mc Gettigans, theres nothing like it in AD though , still only 2 more weekends until I'm officially a Dubai dweller
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
I'm very pro Abu Dhabi. The grid system is great (though the dickheads who are scared of missing a left hand turn and try and get across 6 lanes of traffic to get to it, despite another one a mere 700m away, piss me off).

Dubai has a lot to offer, and we like weekends there, but it's so spread out and badly planned that the travel times do my head in. I live in the centre of AD island and nothing is more than 25 mins away, including F1, which is the same time as the airport.

I've met wankers everywhere. There are just as many arrivistes in AD as Dubai but not so many pretty young girls or flash young lads. People seem to land here at 30 rather than younger. Also, our skirt lengths seem an inch or so longer.

Al Reef seems alright but it's not AD so much as it merely happens to be in the emirate, it's nowhere near the town. In fact, it reminded me of Dubai as you're driving along a motorway and then there is a massive housing community. It's great for the bars and restaurants at Yas and you're only 45 mins from the Marina end of Dubai if you have to come over for a night out in Baristi's (see skirt issue above).
Love the description - I must remember that word! Having lived in Dubai and AD I have to say that AD wins hands down for me. We first lived in Dubai in the 90's and then had to move to AD and I was not very keen as in those days there wasn't an apartment block with a swimming pool to be seen in AD and everything was so much more expensive for substandard accommodation. However after settling in I found AD much less transient and friendlier and now when we have to go to Dubai I am happy to leave.