Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Neom - Advice please

Travelling to Neom - Advice please

Old Sep 6th 2022, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Evilbungle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to Neom - Advice please

Hi all, I now have my travel details through and have a 12 hour stop over at Riyadh airport (arrive 8pm and leave 8am) anyone know of a good hotel to stay in over night? I don't really fancy sleeping in the airport.

Also anyone who has done the journey got any tips? I've heard that I should pick up a sim card at the airport (not sure of this is at Neom or Riyadh, or doesn't matter)
and have seen people talking about avoiding the drivers outside the airport in favour of the free shuttle between terminals, but as I will probably look for a hotel over night I will probably look to book taxis for that anyway. But if anyone has done similar would appreciate any advice available.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Trailing_Hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Travelling to Neom - Advice please

I've stayed in the Radisson Blu in Qurtuba, which is fine and close to the airport. Certainly say no to all the guys wandering around outside. Shuttle is relatively frequent - it's to the right when you come out of the terminal, easy to find. We usually get an Uber. It's a bit of a scrum at times, but you won't have any problems.

Certainly get a sim if you can, although I'm not sure where at the airport off the top of my head. You can, I think, get an esim online now, although I got mine at the store. You'll need your border number that they put in your passport whichever way you do it. Can't get a sim in Neom, but they have STC stores in Tabuk.
Old Sep 7th 2022, 8:25 am

wilkobury is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a sim card from the STC stand in the arrivals hall at Riyadh, paid for it and put it into my phone straight away. I had some issues getting it to work initially, so ask them to put it in for you and check it works in the airport.
Old Sep 12th 2022, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Gulf_European is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Evilbungle
Hi all, I now have my travel details through and have a 12 hour stop over at Riyadh airport (arrive 8pm and leave 8am) anyone know of a good hotel to stay in over night? I don't really fancy sleeping in the airport.

Also anyone who has done the journey got any tips? I've heard that I should pick up a sim card at the airport (not sure of this is at Neom or Riyadh, or doesn't matter)
and have seen people talking about avoiding the drivers outside the airport in favour of the free shuttle between terminals, but as I will probably look for a hotel over night I will probably look to book taxis for that anyway. But if anyone has done similar would appreciate any advice available.
Are you coming as a NEOM FTE? Because then they should provide a hotel for you.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 11:57 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Hilton on Eastern Ring Road is only 15 minutes from the airport. It's walking distance to Granada Mall if you fancy a stroll, walkabout, shopping, food etc
Old Jul 25th 2023, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Mynudding is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise in regards to buying an STC sim at NEOM?

Is it possible to buy a sim from NEOM airport? Also, there are postpaid and prepaid packages, advise on choosing plans?

Also is it possible to buy STC Sim from Duba and easy to communicate (in English) with the people in the shop while buying a sim
Old Jul 26th 2023, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

BMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond reputeBMH77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mynudding
Can anyone advise in regards to buying an STC sim at NEOM?

Is it possible to buy a sim from NEOM airport? Also, there are postpaid and prepaid packages, advise on choosing plans?

Also is it possible to buy STC Sim from Duba and easy to communicate (in English) with the people in the shop while buying a sim

Hello,
This is covered in the NEOM Community Update thread, but I will add it here since this is a travel thread...

Currently there isn't an STC booth at Neom Bay airport. The only shop there is Dunkin, which isn't bad if you need a sugar or caffeine fix after a long flight...
STC regularly visits NC1. I don't know the formal schedule, though I believe they try to do it around new hire induction meetings,
There is is an STC shop in Duba. There is also a Mobily shop if you don't want STC. In my experience in the STC shop, the sales people weren't fluent in English but knew enough to get by. (MUCH better with english than I am with arabic)
When you are just arriving, you will only be able to get a prepaid SIM. You will need to bring your passport and your border number to get the SIM, which you can pay for with your credit card.
Once you have your Iqama, you will have to go back to the STC shop to have your account updated to include your iqama number. At that point, you can change to a post paid plan if you wish.
Again, speaking from my own experience, the prepaid plan is good. Inexpensive, easy to use and has a pretty good account app.
Hope that helps.

Old Jul 26th 2023, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Mynudding is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your information
Old Jul 29th 2023, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Totototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant futureTotototo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Evilbungle

Hi

the closest and cheapest hotel is the radisson Riyadh airport around 500SAR and 11 min from the airport.

to go there use Uber thats the easiest way.

For the sim card go for STC much better coverage.
Old Jul 30th 2023, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Totototo
Hi

the closest and cheapest hotel is the radisson Riyadh airport around 500SAR and 11 min from the airport.

to go there use Uber thats the easiest way.

For the sim card go for STC much better coverage.
This thread is from nearly a year ago, so I suspect the OP has long found his hotel but thank you for taking the time to answer. I’ll close the thread now so it can’t get bumped again.