Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Things you miss from UK

Things you miss from UK

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:21 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you miss from UK

Originally Posted by W10

PS - what makes you think immigration is uncontrolled in the UK? Statistically we hardly take any immigrants into the country. Are you confusing legal EU-wide economic migration - which is actually of great benefit to the UK, with asylum seekers.

According to official statistics some 5.5 million Brits now live overseas & the numbers emigrating increase year on years. Seems there is a gap to be filled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ml/default.stm

There are rules regarding UK immigration - not everything in the Daily Mail is true. And I do find it funny that people who no longer live in the UK complain about immigrants. Hello Mr Pot, the kettle is calling.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Whether it be 80s boy bands, or the Word. .

the Word - I remember that! (used to stay up late especially - that and Eurotrash which in the pre-Channel 5 days was as close as you could get to p0rn0
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
the Word - I remember that! (used to stay up late especially - that and Eurotrash which in the pre-Channel 5 days was as close as you could get to p0rn0

remember channel 4 with the red triangle warning

usually some guff french movie on a friday night at 11pm where the burd gets her wee neeps out

braw!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
3. Square sausage rolls
8. Tunnocks tea cakes
Bar steward, i'd forgotten about them.

I'd kill for flat sausage, bacon and egg roll
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the annual b*tchings among Daily Mail readers about how St George's Day isn't celebrated any more

How many of us were out on 17 March and aren't out tonight !
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten it is St George's Day. I didn't go out on 17th March & I won't be tonight.

What's the point of St George anyway? Killing a dragon is all well & good, but the English share him with others (inc Canada, Ethiopia, Portugal & Greece) & he was born in what is now Turkey.

Just to be patriotic, I'll put on my red & white knickers if that helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
I'd forgotten it is St George's Day. I didn't go out on 17th March & I won't be tonight.

What's the point of St George anyway? Killing a dragon is all well & good, but the English share him with others (inc Canada, Ethiopia, Portugal & Greece) & he was born in what is now Turkey.

Just to be patriotic, I'll put on my red & white knickers if that helps.
Save em for Friday if you're coming out with us
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I miss from the UK -

Marks and Spencers food court
The Off Licence
My best mate
The fishmongers in Sea Road

I can't say The X Factor as I get it taped and sent here !!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dtox
Trodding on dog shit every time I step out of the car...
I defo cleaned up after my dog today. Honestly. The only thing I had suitable for the uplift was a handful of baby wipes!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfro
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6577625.stm

I know that with the politics in the UK you don't believe everything you read. But the last time I was in Scotland I was amazed at the level of Polish immigrants that were in employment in the wee villages in the Highlands. Not that it makes any difference to me, but the more established residents, were less than happy with the effect it had on the jobs available to them as the Poles were willing to work for below min wage... anyway, I really don't want to be dragged further into it because to be honest I am generalizing as Lexylou pointed out and I am big enough to admit that I am not informed enough to be specific.

I have very good friends that have just had a baby and are moving back to the UK from Dubai for many of the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps I too will have this perspective change in the not too distant future. For now I don't miss anything about the UK despite it still having much to offer some people
The problem a lot of brits have with the Polish are that the poles are actually willing to work. Showing up the Brits for being a bunch of lazy moaning gits.

I don't know of any Polish in my town but I am sure I would be very happy to see them if there were. I really don't have a problem with anyone coming to the country that actually DOES work. I DO have a problem with the millions that are from here and DONT work. That is where the real problems in the UK lie.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:23 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Lexylou

I don't know of any Polish in my town but I am sure I would be very happy to see them if there were. I really don't have a problem with anyone coming to the country that actually DOES work. I DO have a problem with the millions that are from here and DONT work. That is where the real problems in the UK lie.
Agreed.

Sadly we seem to have more than one generation like this. Children see their parents not working, but living comfortably off benefits & learn no other way of living.

I was happy for my taxes to fund real asylum seeks and those who genuinely need the welfare state, but get really pissed off with idle lazy bastards.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was happy for my taxes to fund real asylum seeks and those who genuinely need the welfare state, but get really pissed off with idle lazy bastards.
The difficulty that some people have with telling the two apart is that while waiting for their asylum claim applications, refugees are not *allowed* to work - which is why people assume they are idle and lazy. Those genuinely fleeing persecution and travel in such conditions as they do, are not going to turn their nose up at a job, if only they were allowed to do an honest day's work.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
The problem a lot of brits have with the Polish are that the poles are actually willing to work. Showing up the Brits for being a bunch of lazy moaning gits.

here here.

Junkies, alkies, thieves, paedo's, catholics

get them out now

(ps only kiddin about the catholics before i get banned )
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:28 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by jvr20
The difficulty that some people have with telling the two apart is that while waiting for their asylum claim applications, refugees are not *allowed* to work - which is why people assume they are idle and lazy. Those genuinely fleeing persecution and travel in such conditions as they do, are not going to turn their nose up at a job, if only they were allowed to do an honest day's work.
Tsk - I am not talking about asylum seekers (who should be allowed to work), but about a whole swathe of lazy good-for-nothing Brits.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tsk - I am not talking about asylum seekers (who should be allowed to work), but about a whole swathe of lazy good-for-nothing Brits.
i know - i didn't mean you, I meant people like Richard Littlejohn and their ilk, and those who take what they write as gospel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.