Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Things you miss from UK

Things you miss from UK

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you miss from UK

Chatting with friends the other night the conversation turned to things (not people) we missed from the UK. I could only come up with a couple of things; proper bitter & lazy Sundays with The Sunday Times.

You?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:46 am
W10

Default Re: Things you miss from UK

Civilisation mostly...

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:58 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Civilisation mostly...

You must be mixing with the wrong people then...

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10
Civilisation mostly...
Civilisation? In the UK?

Civilization like big brother, pop idol, Faye Turney, Gordon Brown, soaring crime, out of control immigration, ... the list could go on... I have not reached Dubai yet so i may change my tune but you can have my share of the UK, not lived there in best part of a decade and frankly don't miss a thing
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:18 am
W10

You judge civilisation by the fact we have pop idol?

As for the out of control immigration comment...are you Jim Davidson in disguise? You do realise you are an expat don't you...oh the irony

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice

Originally Posted by W10

As for the out of control immigration comment...are you Jim Davidson in disguise? You do realise you are an expat don't you...oh the irony
I like to think, perhaps wrongly, that I am contributing skills to a country that is otherwise lacking in those particular skills. I don't miss the irony, however I have found that in order to work in any of the countries I have worked in so far, I have had to jump through hoops to qualify.

Controlled immigration is imperative for countries to develop their skills base, out of control immigration is entirely different.

Civilisation is eroding in UK and my throwaway comments about the shocking standard of Popular Culture and media is, I believe, just one symptom.

Apologies, I didn't mean to be controversial, suffice to say I don't miss anything about the UK personally
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying hard to think of things I miss about the UK and am really stuggling to come up with any!

Strangely enough, I miss London black cab drivers - I used to love my late night chats of complete crap on the way home from a night out, unlike the ones here who don't know where they are going and don't utter one word to you! And Sunday pub lunches I suppose. Oh yeah and, I guess, much as I hate to say it, TV -not that it's good in the UK but it's worse than shite here, I don't even bother turning it on any more.

MM, xx
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfro
I like to think, perhaps wrongly, that I am contributing skills to a country that is otherwise lacking in those particular skills. I don't miss the irony, however I have found that in order to work in any of the countries I have worked in so far, I have had to jump through hoops to qualify.

Controlled immigration is imperative for countries to develop their skills base, out of control immigration is entirely different.

Civilisation is eroding in UK and my throwaway comments about the shocking standard of Popular Culture and media is, I believe, just one symptom.

Apologies, I didn't mean to be controversial, suffice to say I don't miss anything about the UK personally

I managed to walk to the nursery with my daughter this morning, I did not pass any eroding of civilization on the way, I was not attacked nor did I have to fight my way through hoards of immigrants. I managed to walk back without seeing any crime at all, other than my own dog doing her business on the roadside, which I cleaned up. The problem with generalisations is they are just that... general. I live in the UK, but not a UK that you describe. Oh and popular culture is not limited to the UK. I believe you might get a shock in Dubai if you are trying to avoid the falseness of life!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

personally my favourite is the X factor.... LOVE it. Mainly as it is a full hour each week (starts again in the summer) of Simon Cowell!!! At the moment I am watching the search for a new Danny and Sandy for the Grease production at the west end. Its light hearted and good fun.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:35 am
W10

Originally Posted by alfro

Being controversial makes this place more interesting....Although, I'd wait till you spend a year in Dubai and repeat those comments. In the UK we have a proper legal system, consumer rights, human rights, public transport, free healthcare, education.

In my opinion, popular culture has always been low-brow. Whether it be 80s boy bands, or the Word. It's no worse than it has been before and the celeb obsession is just a phase. Higher culture is as healthy as it has ever been too.

Nobody is in Dubai for altrustic reasons.

PS - what makes you think immigration is uncontrolled in the UK? Statistically we hardly take any immigrants into the country. Are you confusing legal EU-wide economic migration - which is actually of great benefit to the UK, with asylum seekers.

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:51 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

I miss: -

Country drives ... especially if it was to a country pub for a Sunday roast.

Daffodils .. I would love it when the first daffodils would pop out, it would remind me summer was on the way.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:58 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Chatting with friends the other night the conversation turned to things (not people) we missed from the UK. I could only come up with a couple of things; proper bitter & lazy Sundays with The Sunday Times.

You?
Marmite, G & Ts ( as they import about one case a month here), red post boxes, newspapers, milk that doesnt come from a Yak, red heads, morning lay ins, mature cheddar, stilton, port, dry red wine, and of course lets not forget the wife and kids.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by W10
PS - what makes you think immigration is uncontrolled in the UK? Statistically we hardly take any immigrants into the country. Are you confusing legal EU-wide economic migration - which is actually of great benefit to the UK, with asylum seekers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6577625.stm

I know that with the politics in the UK you don't believe everything you read. But the last time I was in Scotland I was amazed at the level of Polish immigrants that were in employment in the wee villages in the Highlands. Not that it makes any difference to me, but the more established residents, were less than happy with the effect it had on the jobs available to them as the Poles were willing to work for below min wage... anyway, I really don't want to be dragged further into it because to be honest I am generalizing as Lexylou pointed out and I am big enough to admit that I am not informed enough to be specific.

I have very good friends that have just had a baby and are moving back to the UK from Dubai for many of the reasons you mentioned. Perhaps I too will have this perspective change in the not too distant future. For now I don't miss anything about the UK despite it still having much to offer some people
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

1. Glasgow Rangers
2. Scotland
3. Square sausage rolls
4. Tattie Scones
5. Arbroath Smokies
6. Forfar Bridies
7. diet Irn Bru
8. Tunnocks tea cakes
9. Drivers with half a brain
10. Glen Coe
11. Bars with real people in it
12. fresh air
13. Pound Notes
14. Mallaig
15. West Highland Way
16. glen Prosen,Doll and Clova

I usually do all of the above in excess once per year when i go home. That is enough for me

If you miss the UK that much, then bugger off back there and gize piece
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Trodding on dog shit every time I step out of the car...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.