Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Dubai when

Things to do in Dubai when

Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:28 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to do in Dubai when

your folks visit for the first time!

I know a lot of stuff to do with them, but 2 things we've not done yet and would be good to get advice / views on are:

Falcon and Heritage Center - any good and where is it exactly? Nad Al Sheba?

Jumeriah Mosque - the tours on Sun and Thurs mornings - these look good - anyone done this? Need to book in advance?

Thanks guys - any suggestions on unusual or not obvious things to do would be most welcome too...
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:48 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Dubai when

Originally Posted by Autonomy
your folks visit for the first time!

I know a lot of stuff to do with them, but 2 things we've not done yet and would be good to get advice / views on are:

Falcon and Heritage Center - any good and where is it exactly? Nad Al Sheba?

Jumeriah Mosque - the tours on Sun and Thurs mornings - these look good - anyone done this? Need to book in advance?

Thanks guys - any suggestions on unusual or not obvious things to do would be most welcome too...
Done both...not once, not twice not etc....

Falcon and Heritage Centre, a disappointment really....big building, clean toilets, lots of empty stores....there are a couple open, the have falcons and falcon related items. People are nice, so they'll tell you about the birds which is good, but otherwise it's just a big empty building. Nicer to go nextdoor, to the "Camel Souk" and see the old Pakistani guys behind their sawing (?) machines making the blankets. Some of those are really nice by the way, so might be worth buying some stuff there, some nice photo opportunities as well.

The Grand Mosque, nice to do, does depend a bit on who is doing the tour on how entertaining it is, people can ask questions afterwards, that's the most amusing part of the tour, some of the questions LOL!!!! No need to book in advance, but be a bit early to register and pay. It can be quite busy.

Let me find some pics...
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:02 am
W10

Take them to Double Decker and watch drunken Brits making complete arses of themselves.

Oh that's not unusual is it

Seriously though - The falcon heritage centre is cool for about 10 minutes because they let you hold a falcon (not literally) and will answer any questions you have. But there is nothing there. Rumour has it that during the training season they will let you watch them putting a falcon through it's paces.

Deira Fish Market is quite interesting, the Miraj Gallery is good and the mosque tours are cool, as is the calligraphy museum in Bestakyia.

Take them to Al Ain or Sharjah for cultural visits (plenty of forts, Jebel Hafeet, museums, art galleries). The Arabian Wildlife Centre in Sharjah is nice too.

Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:05 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

all my pics are too big
Attached Thumbnails Things to do in Dubai when-2-426.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:14 am
W10

I tried to go to a camel race last year, but was told I couldn't go in. Presumably because I had a camera on me??

Also om the camel theme, if you hit the dirt track/private road at the roundabout before the camel market then there is a camel farm there with some Emirati guy who is really friendly and sits and chats all day long before offering a ride (fnarr, fnarr)

Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:16 am
hmmmm...nice

yes, fish market is great, also a fruit and vegetable section and a nice smelling butcher section!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:27 am
hmmmm...nice

Also nice, take an Abra from the Textile souk side, cross the Creek and walk along the Creek to see the boats being loaded. There is a little terras at the Abra station on that side that does fresh juices, you can sit and watch the world go by....
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

trailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant future

The Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding (who do the Jumeirah Mosque tours) also do a walking tour of Bastakiya, conducted by a local lady. Nice way to spend a morning and then stop at one of the little cafes now open in Bastakiya for lunch.

http://www.cultures.ae/activities.htm
Old Oct 24th 2006, 3:56 pm