Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie got a thousand questions...

Newbie got a thousand questions...

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice
Red face Newbie got a thousand questions...

Hi All

Me and my husband are thinking of moving to Dubai obviously perks being the sun tax free living and the general quality of life out there seems a million times better than here in Glasgow.

Few question what do we need ie visas etc?

I have applied for a job with emirates however hubby not really into the idea of cabin crew for himself.

He has a retail background from Fashion to telecoms could he easily find work?

Now this is the mad part we have never been to Dubai but want to take the chance as I have friends do it and it worked out amazingly for them.... Plus we are in our 20's so we could still make a life back in the UK if it all went wrong!

Thanks all in advance
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:41 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie got a thousand questions...

Originally Posted by marty&vonnie
Hi All

Me and my husband are thinking of moving to Dubai obviously perks being the sun tax free living and the general quality of life out there seems a million times better than here in Glasgow.

I have applied for a job with emirates however hubby not really into the idea of cabin crew for himself.

Now this is the mad part we have never been to Dubai but want to take the chance as I have friends do it and it worked out amazingly for them.... Plus we are in our 20's so we could still make a life back in the UK if it all went wrong!

Thanks all in advance

Couldn't really tell you about your hubby's line of work - suggest he gets in touch with some agencies. There is a list of them up above, as well as some FAQs, etc.

You need to be realistic because the cost of living here is getting higher all the time. Rental is the biggest outgoing, and can come as a shock to some. If your company is paying - you're one of the lucky ones.

The driving is terrible and the traffic can get bad if you live at the wrong end of town. If you can afford to, and it's practical, I'd suggest living at the New Dubai end of town, rather than the Diera/Sharjah side of the creek. Then again, if you're flight crew, you might want to live that side, because the airport's that side....

An excellent book to get is the Dubai Explorer. Loads of info about red tape, things to do and see, entertainment, nightlife, etc. It was a massive help to me before I arrived and in my first weeks.

While there is a liberal culture here, it is still a Muslim country, and they are very strict on drink-driving and drugs, etc. Ramadan is just finishing, and can be an interesting month. We don't have to fast, but we have to avoid eating in public or in front of Mulims during the day.

I'm sure others will add stuff...
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you do a search, there is a lot of info here on the forum.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:05 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that not all that glitters is gold....
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 10:21 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks all in advance

Have you ever been to Dubai? It may be worth your while now that the Holy month is over taking a trip and see what is available and get a feel for the place, it wont take you long.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Come here on a cheap package tour. Have a proper look around (don't just enjoy your hotel). Have a look at rent costs. See what the traffic is like in certain parts of the city and Garhoud Bridge in the afternoons/evenings.

http://www.grapeshisha.com has some excellent info, including salary and rent data.

Dubai can be liveable, but it is no paradise.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The heat gets old pretty quick...it ain't cheap living there, even if tax free...but if you want work as cabin crew, have a look at Bahrain and Qatar, okay maybe not Qatar, but Bahrain is still pretty sweet, lot better deal than DXB anyway.

Welcome to the forum btw
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:34 am
W10

Have you got a serious attitude problem? If so, then Emirates and their increasingly lax employment policy will take you one

Seriously though, if you end up as crew, you may get accomodation thrown in - but not sure if they'd allow the other half to live there.

There will probably be infidelity and you'll split up horribly within a year anyway. Seems to be the norm for married crew here

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:27 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
There will probably be infidelity and you'll split up horribly within a year anyway. Seems to be the norm for married crew here

Not just crew
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:27 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Not just crew
hmmm ....
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:59 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Have you got a serious attitude problem? If so, then Emirates and their increasingly lax employment policy will take you one

Seriously though, if you end up as crew, you may get accomodation thrown in - but not sure if they'd allow the other half to live there.

Really ??
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:41 am
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice

Hi thanks Guys,

With regards to Emirates does anyone know if they will let my husband live with us? That would be a major no no

What airlines would employ english speaking people in Bahrain?

Is Bahrain a better quality of life than Dubai?

We'll defo take a wee trip out

We're still looking at places LA OZ etc are still on the cards Dubai just seems to get a better write up

Last edited by marty&vonnie; Oct 23rd 2006 at 9:45 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:08 am
W10

We're still looking at places LA OZ etc are still on the cards Dubai just seems to get a better write up
That's because what the press can say is controlled. ie. overtly negative stories don't appear in the papers very often.

Not sure what the score is with retail, but you don't often see Europeans working in the stores (even as managers - thats quite often Lebanese). Not sure why, but I'd guess at the salaries.

Last edited by W10; Oct 23rd 2006 at 10:11 am.

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:11 am
Just Joined

mmm didnt know that, thanks as I say we're still looking, seems rent is mental over there unless your earning masses its maybe not the best
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:16 am
W10

Rent is going through the roof at the moment. You have to make sure it is worth your while coming out here.

Like I said, Emirates do provide accomodation but I don't know what the deal is with married junior crew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.