Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is there and western women who can tell me about their experiences in Jeddah?

Is there and western women who can tell me about their experiences in Jeddah?

Old Jan 20th 2014, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

doodlediver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there and western women who can tell me about their experiences in Jeddah?

I had a really nice interview with the Director and the Principal, they seemed quite nice and I got on well with them.

My only concern is the life for women. I’ll be on the complex or compound, so western dress isn’t an issue there. I’m not that bothered about wearing an abaya either and happily put on the headscarf, as a sign of respect to the religion, when out and about.

Is there anyone who can tell me about their experiences? General day to day stuff, living on the compound?

Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Dbehary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there and western women who can tell me about their experiences in Jeddah?

Originally Posted by doodlediver
I had a really nice interview with the Director and the Principal, they seemed quite nice and I got on well with them.

My only concern is the life for women. I’ll be on the complex or compound, so western dress isn’t an issue there. I’m not that bothered about wearing an abaya either and happily put on the headscarf, as a sign of respect to the religion, when out and about.

Is there anyone who can tell me about their experiences? General day to day stuff, living on the compound?

Thanks.
Hi Doodlediver,

Living in a compound would definitely make you like much easier, depending of course on the facilities and the type of tenants there.

In general only expats lives in compounds, you just need to make that your package will enable you to do this.

A headscarf, is not that restricted if you will be living in Jeddah or the eastern province ( Alkhobar, Dammam, aljubail), and by the way it is a combination of religious and culture in KSA, depending on the family females have or do not have to put head scarfs.

Your most serious restriction would be driving, as females can not drive, even if you have an international driving license, though that would not be a problem, as there are lots of taxis and they are cheap.

Wishing you a fruitful relocation, Diaa
Old Feb 24th 2014, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Is there and western women who can tell me about their experiences in Jeddah?

Thank you Diaa, I'm not fussed about the driving.
I'm looking forward to my job.
Thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

bodieanddoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware of street taxis. When you get to your compound, speak to other women and see which drivers they use. Which compound are you going to?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

I haven’t been given that information yet. I’m going to one of the International schools, British Curriculum.

Any ideas as to what the compound will be like?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Is it the British international school?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

michaelandshabari is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are moving to Jeddah in August to teach at The British International school. Should we buy a car ?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Unless you want to get drivers everywhere, it may be sensible to hire or lease one at least. There's no such thing as public transport in jeddah.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

michaelandshabari is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that