Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tenancy Break & Post-Dated Cheque

Tenancy Break & Post-Dated Cheque

Old May 8th 2013, 2:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tenancy Break & Post-Dated Cheque

I have just given notice to my landlord to exercise the break clause in the tenancy agreement, over which he and I agree. No problem there.

The break will coincide with the date (August 2013) of the cheque for the second half of the year, which I gave to him when I signed the tenancy agreement. Landlord also agrees that that money won't be due, and we'll be all quits at that point. No problem there.

Problem is that he is in Germany, says that he's already deposited the cheque with the bank, that he'd need to go back to Dubai (which he won't do) to retrieve the cheque from the bank, so my options are to let the cheque bounce, or honour it and he'll pay me back.

Suggestions?

Edit: Flat is in Dubai.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:08 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenancy Break & Post-Dated Cheque

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I have just given notice to my landlord to exercise the break clause in the tenancy agreement, over which he and I agree. No problem there.

The break will coincide with the date (August 2013) of the cheque for the second half of the year, which I gave to him when I signed the tenancy agreement. Landlord also agrees that that money won't be due, and we'll be all quits at that point. No problem there.

Problem is that he is in Germany, says that he's already deposited the cheque with the bank, that he'd need to go back to Dubai (which he won't do) to retrieve the cheque from the bank, so my options are to let the cheque bounce, or honour it and he'll pay me back.

Suggestions?

Edit: Flat is in Dubai.

Phone the issuing bank and cancel it? If it bounces as far as I am aware it does not matter. Bounced cheques are only ever an issue if the payee makes a case. I had oodles of people in UAE and here bounce cheques on me, 99% of the time owing to the bank ****ing up. Banks never gave a monkeys if I didn't.

Last edited by britexpat76; May 8th 2013 at 2:10 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 2:15 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Phone the issuing bank and cancel it? If it bounces as far as I am aware it does not matter. Bounced cheques are only ever an issue if the payee makes a case. I had oodles of people in UAE and here bounce cheques on me, 99% of the time owing to the bank ****ing up. Banks never gave a monkeys if I didn't.
I agree, let it bounce, you've both agreed it, and I hope in writing.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. Landlord's written a letter to the bank instructing them not to try to cash the cheque, and sent me a copy, but he shares your view: bank will ignore it.

Anyhow, seeing as the landlord is being decent, and has been in the past, I said I'd spread the word that the apartment is becoming available in early June.

Sulafa Tower, which is virtually opposite Barasti, just off the Marina towards Dubai. 44th floor, 3 beds (1 en-suite with bath & walk-in shower), maids room with en-suite toilet, guest toilet, living room, separate kitchen. Partial sea views (can see Atlantis from the master bedroom). Fitted wardrobes. Approx 1,700 sq ft. No balconies. Building is only a couple of years old, so in very good condition. Dedicated parking space. Really excellent gym, swimming pool. Very easy access to/from SZR, less than 5 mins both morning and evening. 5 min walk to the Marina, 6-7 min walk to Metro, 5 mins to Barasti. Small Carrefour in building opposite, Spinney's 5 mins.

If interested, PM me your details and I'll connect you with the landlord.

There's no profit in this for me: as I said, the landlord is a decent guy, and if I can save him and a future tenant the hassle and cost of using bloody agents then that's reward in itself.
Old May 9th 2013, 1:23 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Nothing much to do with your current situation but, I never knew you could lodge a cheque with a bank before the date on it.

You learn something every day.