Reload this Page >

confused about non residency and visits home

confused about non residency and visits home

Old May 7th 2013, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Nellie1584 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused about non residency and visits home

ive googled this loads of times and im still a little confused

i know to avoid paying tax on my earnings i need to remain abroad for an entire tax year but im not sure how many days i am allowed in the uk for holidays etc

i completed a P85 prior to my move and had a letter confirming a tax refund so the taxman knows ive left the country.

help gratefully received
Old May 7th 2013, 9:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused about non residency and visits home

It depends on 'connecting factors' but if your situation is simple you can spend up to 90 days in the UK during a tax year and still remain non-resident for tax purposes. This also depends on when you left the UK and staying out for a full tax year.

http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/
Old May 7th 2013, 3:28 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nellie1584
ive googled this loads of times and im still a little confused

i know to avoid paying tax on my earnings i need to remain abroad for an entire tax year but im not sure how many days i am allowed in the uk for holidays etc

i completed a P85 prior to my move and had a letter confirming a tax refund so the taxman knows ive left the country.

help gratefully received
There are a few good flowcharts available online if you search for 'uk statutory non residency test flowchart pdf' for example KPMG.

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; May 7th 2013 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
It depends on 'connecting factors' but if your situation is simple you can spend up to 90 days in the UK during a tax year and still remain non-resident for tax purposes. This also depends on when you left the UK and staying out for a full tax year.

http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/
I'm now totally confused and not sure about how long I should go home for over the summer. I came out here on 1st of August 2012 then went home at Christmas for 12 days and Easter for 12 days. I want to go home for a month in July and then come back to Dubai in August to begin work again in September. As I came out in the middle of the tax year though I am completely confused about liability for tax and days. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by silversilver; May 8th 2013 at 6:19 pm.
Old May 8th 2013, 6:15 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be confused, you are liable to UK tax and NI on all your earnings until you break UK residency.

Extract from HMRC6
8.5 Leaving the UK to work abroad as an employee
If you are leaving the UK to work abroad full-time, you will only become
not resident and not ordinarily resident from the day after the day of your
departure, as long as:
• you are leaving to work abroad under a contract of employment for at
least a whole tax year
• you have actually physically left the UK to begin your employment
abroad and not, for example, to have a holiday until you begin your
employment
• you will be absent from the UK for at least a whole tax year
• your visits to the UK after you have left to begin your overseas
employment will
– total less than 183 days in any tax year, and
– average less than 91 days a tax year. This average is taken over the
period of absence up to a maximum of four years.

Now, if you meet the above criteria, you can be granted a 'split year concession' meaning tax free status from the day after you leave the UK until the day you return. As long as you meet the visit criteria stated above, pro-rata.

[J]
Old May 9th 2013, 8:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

MIGHT be granted the split year concesion - it's a concession Mr Civil Engineer, not a fixed rule, so it's important to point that out.

silver silver, the partial year liability is partially dependent on how many tax years you remain UK non-resident for tax purposes. If it's at least five full tax years then partial years become irrelevant and thus non-taxable.

On the other hand, if you stay out just a couple of years then partial years could be taxable. It depends on your specific circumstances.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't everyone check the rules before leaving the UK?
Old May 9th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

How do they know if you spend more than 90 days in the country though? When you go through Heathrow they have a cursory look at your passport and I don't know whether they enter anything in their system, but when you leave again I'm sure they just look at it? If they did record anything there assumes a link between Border Control and the HMRC?

Must be missing something.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:17 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
How do they know if you spend more than 90 days in the country though?
I think the boot is on the other foot. If they suspect you've been doing them over it's up to you to prove that you've not been in the country more than 90 days.
When you go through Heathrow they have a cursory look at your passport and I don't know whether they enter anything in their system,.
They always seem to scan mine on their little machine.
but when you leave again I'm sure they just look at it?
Only the airline staff, never anyone 'official.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For a long time there have been no checks on departures from UK Airports. In fact the State has no idea of who leaves and when !
Old May 10th 2013, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
MIGHT be granted the split year concesion - it's a concession Mr Civil Engineer, not a fixed rule, so it's important to point that out.

silver silver, the partial year liability is partially dependent on how many tax years you remain UK non-resident for tax purposes. If it's at least five full tax years then partial years become irrelevant and thus non-taxable.

On the other hand, if you stay out just a couple of years then partial years could be taxable. It depends on your specific circumstances.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't everyone check the rules before leaving the UK?
Thanks Meow, I 'kind' of did check the rules but didn't realise they were so complicated. I just thought if you stayed out of the country for two years you would not be liable for tax. I didn't take the time to think of partial years etc.. I think when you are moving to Dubai you have so many other things to think about -packing up, cancelling everything, saying goodbye to friends you don't actually look into things in the depth that you should. Thanks for info though