Teaching in Dubai

Old Apr 29th 2022, 8:07 am
  #16  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,158
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Originally Posted by Saminster View Post
Hello guys. Me again but with another dilemma.
My husband and I have both now secured positions in Dubai for September 2022.
however my husbands school required him to come earlier due to a staff shortage and I felt this would be a great way of getting our foot in and he could see what it is like- testing the waters as it were before the rest of us make a jump.
So what has happened is that he went all alone and is flabbergasted at the appalling way in which he has been treated.
examples include the head of department after his first week there giving him a list of tasks as long as my arm. All stuff that was clearly his own jobs which he didnt do
they do learning walks on him every day and tell him regularly how awful he is when he is in fact outstanding or has been for just under a decade here in the UK.
in private settings they talk at him and tell him not to interrupt if he has a question, ask him why he didnt say excuse me when he walked past them etc etc
he has put up with this for 2 months now but to be honest this behaviour began after the first week.

So Ive advised him to quit as soon as he can and return home. My question is, is this normal in Dubai schools as I am now rethinking my decision to come out. Yes my daughter will have a good quality of education but her parents will be sent to an early grave, what's the point of earning tax free when this is how you are treated?
Big name school or a smaller one?
Sounds shit, but sometimes people just don't fit. Some come with different expectations to what is reality, but this sounds shit, regardless.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2022, 8:19 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
SandyMcSand's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 91
SandyMcSand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

That’s awful to hear. I hope this doesn’t effect him in the long run.

Two points I’d like to make:
1. New expats, particularly those who are high performers and used to high performing organisations, suffer in the first 6 months as they struggle to adapt to the working culture here. You either have to nod your head and agree or leave. It’s very laid back here, nepotism and racial favouritism is major trend here. It varies from organisation to organisation but is a general theme in the region.

2. Its early days, he’s only been here two months and things could improve. I would at least stick it out for 6 months and see how if it improves. There’s also tax liabilities if you come back within the tax year so please consider that.

good luck
SandyMcSand is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2022, 10:30 am
  #18  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Saminster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Hi there. Thank you for the replies. In response to the first message my school that I am set to join is a big well known chain and his is one school by itself.
I would not say he is not a good fit there because I have not met these people myself but without being too biased I am very introverted and find it hard to mingle but my husband is a very friendly happy go lucky guy. I've never heard anything of the like before so I was initially thinking maybe he misses us but it seems extreme and vindictive and I had just wondered if it was a general trend in all schools to be given massive jobs lists and daily scrutiny on a regular basis. It would send any teacher running for the hills.
I am seriously rethinking if I want to come out now. I am currently at work in a lovely school in the UK where we work hard, contribute to meetings. It just seemed bullying is acceptable and even normal at dubai or is this wrong and just reflective of this one school.
He says he is well liked by his students but his immediate line managers seem horrendous. I dont even know how people like that get appointed.
I dont know if it is a racial thing as you mention as we are both british Indians and the department is a nice mix of people from around the world. I think it is more people in positions they clearly dont know how to do
Saminster is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2022, 11:16 am
  #19  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,158
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Originally Posted by Saminster View Post
Hi there. Thank you for the replies. In response to the first message my school that I am set to join is a big well known chain and his is one school by itself.
I would not say he is not a good fit there because I have not met these people myself but without being too biased I am very introverted and find it hard to mingle but my husband is a very friendly happy go lucky guy. I've never heard anything of the like before so I was initially thinking maybe he misses us but it seems extreme and vindictive and I had just wondered if it was a general trend in all schools to be given massive jobs lists and daily scrutiny on a regular basis. It would send any teacher running for the hills.
I am seriously rethinking if I want to come out now. I am currently at work in a lovely school in the UK where we work hard, contribute to meetings. It just seemed bullying is acceptable and even normal at dubai or is this wrong and just reflective of this one school.
He says he is well liked by his students but his immediate line managers seem horrendous. I dont even know how people like that get appointed.
I dont know if it is a racial thing as you mention as we are both british Indians and the department is a nice mix of people from around the world. I think it is more people in positions they clearly dont know how to do
Don't forget, no job is easier here than back home in reality.

Schools here are all private and barely anyone gets the fluffy package with schooling provided, so most are paying for it out of their package, so they'll be demanding. Then add in the propensity for self-importance that comes with the place and the fact the Mum (or Dad) might not work, there's a deadly combo for schools to deal with. The pressure is greater, the expectations higher and the quality of staff (teaching and non) are hugely varied.

Not everyone will be great or good at managing pressure. The current period shouldn't be awful apart form exams coming. It's normally around inspection time that the pressure cranks up and people start to show what kind of leaders they are.

In reality, it's very different to a lovely little village school (for example) in the UK. It's a city full of dickheads who demand everything now and squeeze for every drop of value. The kids are still kids, but can be equally dickheadish.

All of this is relative though, there are huge upsides to schools here and teaching such varied, interesting, international kids.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2022, 11:55 am
  #20  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 9
Saminster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Don't forget, no job is easier here than back home in reality.

Schools here are all private and barely anyone gets the fluffy package with schooling provided, so most are paying for it out of their package, so they'll be demanding. Then add in the propensity for self-importance that comes with the place and the fact the Mum (or Dad) might not work, there's a deadly combo for schools to deal with. The pressure is greater, the expectations higher and the quality of staff (teaching and non) are hugely varied.

Not everyone will be great or good at managing pressure. The current period shouldn't be awful apart form exams coming. It's normally around inspection time that the pressure cranks up and people start to show what kind of leaders they are.

In reality, it's very different to a lovely little village school (for example) in the UK. It's a city full of dickheads who demand everything now and squeeze for every drop of value. The kids are still kids, but can be equally dickheadish.

All of this is relative though, there are huge upsides to schools here and teaching such varied, interesting, international kids.
I see what you mean. obvioisly that school is a definite no for us, we do want to experience a brand new lifestyle and had thought Dubai to be a place to experience this from.
I'm an inner city teacher myself I've worked in schools for so long that have been challenging and poor behaviour, awful leadership, toxic team members. But never all at one school if that makes sense. We know pressure and we've even thrived in it in special measures schools when Ofsted was in so much I knew where they were going to be going for their holidays. But it's the bullying and cliques that has been hard for my husband who is in a new land and adjusting to deal with.
my husband experienced so much rubbish not even with his first week in. I'm aware that lack of unions does mean things can continue to remain bad.
I think I'm just concerned now I will experience the same at my school. I'll be researching.
Saminster is offline  
Old May 3rd 2022, 7:00 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 1
Freddie Fitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

I have worked in both Qatar and Dubai and I'm sorry to say that there is a level of racism which just is not tolerated in the UK. I was at a loss to understand your husband's experiences right up until you said that you are British Indians.
I can only suggest that you go to Dubai to see what the situation is like for yourself.
Best of luck.
Freddie Fitch is offline  
Old May 5th 2022, 5:37 am
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,158
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Dubai

Originally Posted by Freddie Fitch View Post
I have worked in both Qatar and Dubai and I'm sorry to say that there is a level of racism which just is not tolerated in the UK. I was at a loss to understand your husband's experiences right up until you said that you are British Indians.
I can only suggest that you go to Dubai to see what the situation is like for yourself.
Best of luck.
We have married friends who live here, both Brits, one is Indian heritage.

Never has any issues at school or with other teachers, the only people who judge immediately are the parents of kids at the school.
Scamp is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.